The Partick Thistle thread

I can see where you're coming from. But it was Archibald that built that squad of charlatans. Biggest budget in years and he's blown it on mediocrity and injury prone journeymen.

Biggest budget in years but probably 11th biggest in the league in which we finished 11th.

5 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Now that relegation has been confirmed, I want him to stay.  I’ve been a vociferous critic of his for most of the season and up until yesterday I was adamant that he had to go, regardless of what happened. 

I still believe he should have been emptied after the performance at Rugby Park in December and I still think that had we won our play-off,  ‘mutual consent’ would have been the best deal all round for everyone. If the board do decide to sack him, he can have no compliants. It’s been an unbelievably bad season and Archibald has to take a huge proportion of blame for a variety of reasons.

That being said, the fact we’re now a second tier club means that the likelihood of us attracting a better quality of manager is negligible. I could be wrong, but I don’t think that we would be able to entice anyone better than the likes of John Hughes, Jim McIntyre or Peter Houston. Had we survived, I would have been much more confident of a bigger name.

Archibald  has won the league before. There are numerous players out of contract so there will be scope to completely overhaul the squad. The wages that will be freed up coupled with our parachute payment means he should have a fair budget to work with. He has enough experience in the second tier as a player and a manger to know what is required.

I would much rather see the back of charlatans like Woods, Osman, Barton and Dumbuya.  Give Archibald one more window to build a squad around trusted players like Erskine, Doolan and Cerny.

I’m starting to sound like a fucking happy clapper.

I simply don't trust Archibald to rebuild this squad.  He has won the league granted but he's never put a team together to win the league, he inherited it from McNamara which means, really, this isn't a situation he has been in before and can be trusted to take care of. 2 of the 3 you list as  shite choices to replace him have won the very same league and all 3 of them have won either the Scottish or league cup. As uninspiring as all 3 of them were if we were a club looking at those 3 plus Archibald to fill a vacancy and had no ties to any of them as club legends he'd probably wouldn't be further ahead of any of them in the race to be appointed.

Ultimately the manager is responsible for bringing in players like Woods, as nice a thought of him turning it around is I just can't see it happening.

4 minutes ago, Walter said:

Biggest budget in years but probably 11th biggest in the league in which we finished 11th.

There's about 4 or 5 clubs in the Premiership who trot out the same line about having one of the smallest budgets in the league. Robinson at Motherwell was claiming they have the 2nd smallest budget just last week. The difference between those 4 or 5 clubs will be negligible.

We were paying transfer fees in the last couple of years, something we've not done bar small amounts of compensation for the likes of ATS in years and year so let's not plead poverty now it's went tits up.

This league will be very difficult next year. The year we won it was as weak as it will probably ever be with the whole Rangers fiasco. We had really one concrete rival. There was three part-time teams, Dunfermline on the brink of financial oblivion. Hes built a team that is so bloody mentally weak. However, most of the twitter loyal seem to think otherwise, as evidenced by that vote, outwith probably a few troll votes.

The only argument for, I'd agree, is that lack of other viable candidates to replace him. I have the fear of him however being given carte blanche to sign 10+ players this summer. 

The only thing that’s giving me some hope is that Archie (or whoever’s in charge, but it’ll be Archie) still has the nucleus of a decent squad for the Championship, although obviously needing pretty major work to it.

Cerny, Elliott, Penrice, McCarthy, Erskine and Doolan will all be good enough for that league. If Edwards and Keown stay they should be capable of doing fine as well. A decent centre half and an experienced centre midfielder and we’re almost at, what should in theory, be a pretty competent first 11 for the championship.

The other positive is that, barring him inexplicably being kept on, I shouldn’t ever have to pay actual money to watch Devine play football ever again, which is lovely.

There's about 4 or 5 clubs in the Premiership who trot out the same line about having one of the smallest budgets in the league. Robinson at Motherwell was claiming they have the 2nd smallest budget just last week. The difference between those 4 or 5 clubs will be negligible.
We were paying transfer fees in the last couple of years, something we've not done bar small amounts of compensation for the likes of ATS in years and year so let's not plead poverty now it's went tits up.
Let's not pretend he had a big fat budget either. I think overall he did well to keep us up as long as he did.

I didn't think he was a great manager when we finished top 6 and I don't think he's a useless one now.

2 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

Now that relegation has been confirmed, I want him to stay.  I’ve been a vociferous critic of his for most of the season and up until yesterday I was adamant that he had to go, regardless of what happened. 

I still believe he should have been emptied after the performance at Rugby Park in December and I still think that had we won our play-off,  ‘mutual consent’ would have been the best deal all round for everyone. If the board do decide to sack him, he can have no compliants. It’s been an unbelievably bad season and Archibald has to take a huge proportion of blame for a variety of reasons.

That being said, the fact we’re now a second tier club means that the likelihood of us attracting a better quality of manager is negligible. I could be wrong, but I don’t think that we would be able to entice anyone better than the likes of John Hughes, Jim McIntyre or Peter Houston. Had we survived, I would have been much more confident of a bigger name.

Archibald  has won the league before. There are numerous players out of contract so there will be scope to completely overhaul the squad. The wages that will be freed up coupled with our parachute payment means he should have a fair budget to work with. He has enough experience in the second tier as a player and as a  manager to know what is required.

I would much rather see the back of charlatans like Woods, Osman, Barton and Dumbuya.  Give Archibald one more window to build a squad around trusted players like Erskine, Doolan and Cerny.

I’m starting to sound like a fucking happy clapper.

A re-think required there in my opinion. If he wasn't able to get the best out of his players this season why would we expect it to happen next? Archibald's top flight teams have been marked by their overall fragility - what have been their strengths? No evidence at all to suggest that next season with him in charge can be a success. The thought of sitting 7th (or worse) in the Championship next season at Christmas with all the same problems all over again is absolutely dismal.

It’s that magnificent time of the season where our fans start getting a hard on about former players returning. I’m sure Balatoni and Frans’ mentions are full of “come home big man” tweets.

Reckon we will actually sign Balatoni tbf.

Partick Thistle's board should retain faith in manager Alan Archibald and "resist drastic changes" following their Scottish Premiership relegation, says Ian McCall.
"The one thing they've got to do is stick with their manager," McCall said.
"Archie's already proved he can win that league and proved himself a terrific young manager. Knowing him, and [chairman] David Beattie does know him, this will just make him more determined to get it right.
"They've got to resist drastic changes and put faith in him. Alan will know if they don't start the season well, then he'll be under pressure, but I think the time for big change isn't now."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44195234

I guess that’s him ruling himself out then ?

I simply don't trust Archibald to rebuild this squad.  He has won the league granted but he's never put a team together to win the league, he inherited it from McNamara which means, really, this isn't a situation he has been in before and can be trusted to take care of. 2 of the 3 you list as  shite choices to replace him have won the very same league and all 3 of them have won either the Scottish or league cup. As uninspiring as all 3 of them were if we were a club looking at those 3 plus Archibald to fill a vacancy and had no ties to any of them as club legends he'd probably wouldn't be further ahead of any of them in the race to be appointed.
Ultimately the manager is responsible for bringing in players like Woods, as nice a thought of him turning it around is I just can't see it happening.

Maybe Archie did inherit the squad from McNamarra. But we all know that he wasn’t going to get us promoted as he couldn’t win away from home.
By the way, how did McNamarra get on after leaving Thistle ?