The Partick Thistle thread

5 minutes ago, Thistle4eva said:

Booth won’t be short of teams after him. Especially the bottom six teams.

Carrying an injury possibly ? 

A Lot of people forget how good Booth has been over his 5 years at the club.

Was Penrice allowed to play in these games ? Surely he would have been a player that would have loved to show Livi what they were missing ?

18 minutes ago, Thistle4eva said:

Never understood people being against Booth.

He’s made mistakes but there’s never been a game I’ve watched and thought that guys no trying his best. 

Personally I’d say he’s one of our fittest players who gets a lot of grief because too much is expected of him.

What an odd defence of Booth. Acknowledging he's both made mistakes and other players have been worse therefore he's somehow not shite because what? He's fit?

He's been here 3 and a half years, not 5 and he's been shite. You can fail to understand that if you want but he's nowhere near good enough for the Premiership and probably isn't even good enough for a team challenging in the league below.

I said towards the end of the season that if Archie chucked it, I would take Hopkins as a replacement. Not much chance of that now, but he certainly knows how to set a limited team up and get them organised and fight for every ball. Things that we are sadly lacking. Might not be everybody's cup of tea but I would take Steve Craigan as manager. Did well when he was interim at Motherwell, was apparently gutted he didn't get the job and the Well fans I know think he is doing a good job with their development side. He asked to play us for his testimonial, so he obviously still has feelings for the club. Pretty sure he would encourage youth to come through the ranks.  I don't see the board sacking Archie, but looking at the BT Sport interview and the Jagzone one, he looks he has decided enough is enough.

Edited by Sting777

Agree that the board don't have the balls to sack him. They still think there is support for him (Archibald cult with their banners). So if Archibald does decide to walk away, I can see Beattie try to talk him out of it. Which would be complete nonsense obviously but would please those in our support who think Archibald is some kind of God.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:
3 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I’m shitting myself incase we try and sign Devine tbh.

f**k, add that to the nightmare scenario list.

I'd guess you'll be alright as surely to f**k Devine will never get another top flight gig after the year he's just had.

So far out of his depth it's ridiculous.

24 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

I said towards the end of the season that if Archie chucked it, I would take Hopkins as a replacement. Not much chance of that now, but he certainly knows how to set a limited team up and get them organised and fight for every ball. Things that we are sadly lacking. Might not be everybody's cup of tea but I would take Steve Craigan as manager. Did well when he was interim at Motherwell, was apparently gutted he didn't get the job and the Well fans I know think he is doing a good job with their development side. He asked to play us for his testimonial, so he obviously still has feelings for the club. Pretty sure he would encourage youth to come through the ranks.  I don't see the board sacking Archie, but looking at the BT Sport interview and the Jagzone one, he looks he has decided enough is enough.

He said publicly he didn't want the job so I'm not sure how he'd have been gutted not to get it tbqh:

Craigan coached the under-20s to last season's Scottish Youth Cup and they face Celtic in this season's semi-finals but he is happy combining that work with his media punditry.

"I said clearly that it's not for me," he told BT Sport. "I don't want it.

"Stephen Robinson will take the game on Saturday. Myself and James McFadden will give him all the support that he needs.

He distanced himself from the job the first time he had an interim stint after Baraclough was emptied as well fwiw.

“I’ve worked at international level with the under-19s and with the Motherwell under-20s and the games have never felt as long as that.

“Maybe that’s what a little bit of pressure does, or probably desperation because we needed the three points.

“If you told me for the next five years you’ll go through that every Saturday I think I’d probably say: ‘Not for me’.

“I have some good jobs at the minute. I love it with the Motherwell under-20s and my work with BT is terrific. “It would be a lot for me to give up. 

In honesty, as he said himself he's got a pretty sweet set up at the moment he's got the day to day management/coaching with the u20s and our first team along with what is presumably a well paid job doing the pundit work for BT. I really can't see that he'd be willing to give that up.

Edited by capt_oats

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

He said publicly he didn't want the job so I'm not sure how he'd have been gutted not to get it tbqh:

He distanced himself from the job the first time he had an interim stint after Baraclough was emptied as well fwiw.

In honesty, he's got a pretty sweet set up at the moment he's got the day to day management/coaching with the u20s and our first team along with what is presumably a well paid job doing the pundit work for BT. I really can't see that he'd be willing to give that up.

My brother in law is a Well fan and knows Craggs. It was him that told me that he wanted the Well job. Who knows. If Archie leaves  I would certainly take him if he was interested 

6 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

My brother in law is a Well fan and knows Craggs. It was him that told me that he wanted the Well job. Who knows. If Archie leaves  I would certainly take him if he was interested 

Fair enough but his public statements couldn't be more emphatic. Both times he's been interim he's literally said "It's not for me" and "I don't want the job".

Edited by capt_oats

6 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

If we're appointing a manager on the basis they used to play for us but patched us for a Motherwell side in adminstration then why stop at Craigan? Toastie might not be doing much these days.

Nah, Toastie is a copper these days. The reason they left Thistle for Motherwell was that Motherwell offered them double the wages they were on at Firhill. Something you would turn down for doing the same job? Thought not!

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I'd take that Chris MIller that's just been released from St Johnstone, always seemed a tidy player, and while I like McCarthy, think we need a more composed player beside him. 

I would like a Chris Millar to help teach McCarthy how to play CM well rather than how not to play CM from Woods.

I'll be in the minority but I feel Cerny's time with us is done. He slows play down (often to our detriment), can't kick, has a handful of really bad howlers a season and doesn't command his box anymore. Oh and he is made of brittle glass, so this has been the only season we haven't scrambled around for a new keeper last minute. When he 1st came in he was yelling and instructing Balatoni n co everywhere, now the back line just seem to be in cruise control and lack urgency. How does Sneddon perform in the dev squad? Was under the impression he was actually a good prospect when we signed him.

Lawless is the only out of contract player I would want to keep but even if we offered him really good money I doubt he will stay.

Will be interesting to see how many dev players get promoted to the 1st team (Lamont has always gotten stuck in when given a chance)

Edited by cilitbang

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

Would definitely keep Cerny, Elliott, Penrice, McCarthy, Erskine, Lawless (can’t see him staying though), Doolan.

I know they’ve had poor seasons but part of me thinks Keown, Edwards, Spittal and Storey could maybe be worth a go in the Championship.

If Bannigan is able to stay fit then I’d keep him too. 

Happy to see the back of Devine, McGinn, Dumbuya, Barton, Osman and Woods. Not sure how I feel about Booth. Think there’s a player there but don’t think he really gives a f**k.

Booth's reaction when Edwards scored against Accies was superb, and I'm sure there's a great photo of him at Osman's last minute winner against St Johnstone. I do think he cares, if nothing else.

Cerny would be great in the 2nd tier; he's understandably not quite at the standard he set in his POTY season but he's not very erratic. If he could kick the ball a bit further he'd have played for a bigger club than us. Plus I've got the fear we'd end up with Ryan Scully as first choice or a Bryn Halliwell or Graeme Smith level keeper to replace him if he goes.