Stinlar v Super Ayr; Honest Men v Ferry Boys: Promotion bonanza

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michael Moffat kicked my dug on the way out of Somerset. The jail isn't good enough for him!

jk. would be pleased to have him back. Shame for Dunfermline they can't afford to keep him but I guess that's what happens when you push the boat out for promotion.

I don't blame him for it, I just don't want him back.

And there's a reason Dunfermline fans aren't fussed to see him go: they don't think he's good enough. He also seems to only thrive when the team is set up to pass the ball to him, we can't afford to do that.

I can accept thinking he isn't good enough, though I don't agree. Things haven't gone as well for him at Dunfermline as they did at Ayr (although he seems to have been playing a different role), but he's not in noticeably worse shape now than he was when he left and you don't just lose all that ability in the space of two years. We'd have had no qualms about taking him into the Championship had we been promoted two years ago and with the right system I don't see why he couldn't get back to that level.

Why wouldn't the club have stuck by him? All he got was a four game suspension - there was no rational argument for getting rid of any player under those circumstances. And from a pragmatic standpoint, the club would've been utterly mental to get rid of him given that he near enough single-handedly dragged Ayr into the playoffs. He owed the club absolutely nothing and it genuinely baffles me why people hold it against him for taking the chance to play full time football.

This.

Very true. I've never understood the criticism of him leaving for Dunfermline. Never held it against him and don't think anyone should

Apologies for sound and focus in parts... that was the least enjoyable 120 mins of football I have watched in 10 years. Still, I've never been inside Tannadice... next season!

Better angle than Albas! Tv guys used to choose the main stand to film from if memory serves.

Personally I would leave Moff alone. Returnees generally do not seem to work out - and it undermines the "hard bar steward" decision making that I think McCall needs to demonstrate. I see Stevo is immediately using his media contacts to push for another contract - obviously we should decline his kind offer and part when he is still a legend. A no to the Moff makes a no to Stevo easier and demonstrates intent.

That said, if Moff signs I'll back him to the hilt. What do I know about football, after all. Only half-informed opinions...

Dunfermline fans seem to think he's nowhere near good enough for the Championship. Plus after we stuck with him through the whole betting thing he jumped ship the second another club came calling. It's a no from me.

Definitely not a unanimous verdict - plenty can't understand why he hasn't been signed up. Undoubtedly he was a big player for us this season but there has to be question marks over his ability to cut it against stronger opposition. Just fluffs too many simple chances.  Also, I don't know what he earns but Ayr's chairman at the time said we'd trebled his wages and AJ may not see him as being good value compared to other strikers we could pick up.  Get the impression he'd be back in his comfort zone at Ayr and it could be a weight off his shoulders getting back to where he feels most at home. 

2 teams that both didn't look like scoring. we missed Moore massively. Don't think Preston enjoyed playing with Stevo, a lot of the work Preston had to do was balls bouncing off him. The stamp on Crawford was blatant from the keeper and lucky it never got seen. Ah well at least the trips to tannadice and Easter road will be better than balmoor and glebe park.

Stranraers defence did all it needed to with Preston,let him take the ball at his feet and push him wide

He has got better over the season but if he is up against a more robust defence then he tends to have a quiet game,I think Forrests style of play may have been better suited yesterday

Definitely not a unanimous verdict - plenty can't understand why he hasn't been signed up. Undoubtedly he was a big player for us this season but there has to be question marks over his ability to cut it against stronger opposition. Just fluffs too many simple chances.  Also, I don't know what he earns but Ayr's chairman at the time said we'd trebled his wages and AJ may not see him as being good value compared to other strikers we could pick up.  Get the impression he'd be back in his comfort zone at Ayr and it could be a weight off his shoulders getting back to where he feels most at home. 

This reinforces my gut feeling that it might be a mistake to bring him back. Do we want blokes "in their comfort zone" at Ayr or blokes who will sweat blood and tears for the shirt? 

This reinforces my gut feeling that it might be a mistake to bring him back. Do we want blokes "in their comfort zone" at Ayr or blokes who will sweat blood and tears for the shirt? 

I'd keep Moff, but if he goes then I don't doubt he'd give his all. Any time I've seen him he's always worked hard, even when having a poor game.

I was with Michael Moffat last night, his contract runs out in 2 weeks and he hasn't been made an offer from Dunfermline. Stranraer have offered him a contract but he is desperate to sign with Ayr. I wouldn't want him back at Ayr though.

Why did he tell you? And why do you think it's acceptable to post about what was presumably a private conversation on a public forum?

Why did he tell you? And why do you think it's acceptable to post about what was presumably a private conversation on a public forum?

Where in my post did I say that it was him who told me? 

2 teams that both didn't look like scoring. we missed Moore massively. Don't think Preston enjoyed playing with Stevo, a lot of the work Preston had to do was balls bouncing off him. The stamp on Crawford was blatant from the keeper and lucky it never got seen. Ah well at least the trips to tannadice and Easter road will be better than balmoor and glebe park.

Preston had to do the job of Moore yesterday, which completely ruins his game. When Preston and Moore play together, we score goals, it's that simple.

League 1 looks rank rotten next season, be a few clubs feeling the pinch now that Dunfermline and Ayr aren't bringing a decent support along.

What absolute pish .  It will be a far better place without the dozen or so brain dead tossers  who follow Ayr about that's for sure. I feel sorry for the decent guys who have to put up with their pish every week. 

Will miss the Pars fans though. Decent bunch who don't get offended when you banter back. 

I think Moffat would be perfectly suited to Ayr next year. His strength is running in behind and stretching teams, which with Ayr playing a lot of counter attack football next year against better teams would suit him. As opposed to his time at Dunfermline where, as part of the best team in the league and a side dominating possession, he's been playing against defences sitting deep and denying him any space. He's never going to excel in a team like that as his ability to run with the ball and stretch defences is completely negated.

Would be too wee up top with the similar in style Moore though IMO. I like Michael a lot and wouldn't be disappointed if we signed him but I want new blood and physical presence. Agree with the pace thing though. A new Glynn hurst would be just the tonic

I think Moffat would be perfectly suited to Ayr next year. His strength is running in behind and stretching teams, which with Ayr playing a lot of counter attack football next year against better teams would suit him. As opposed to his time at Dunfermline where, as part of the best team in the league and a side dominating possession, he's been playing against defences sitting deep and denying him any space. He's never going to excel in a team like that as his ability to run with the ball and stretch defences is completely negated.

This, we need to set up a team full of pace. In terms of starting players (assuming everyone stays) we need two centre halfs, two wide midfielders, and a striker. McCrorie's pace could be useful.

I would definitely give Stevenson a chance to show something over pre season.

There's no doubt Stranraer retained the ball better, passed it better and looked more of a team. Serious questions must be asked why in both games when playing a team performing as badly as Ayr, I mean a fucking shambles why you couldn't beat us? The balloon d'or contender cairney should have dismantled us however it's surely apparent now that he is atrocious

Stranraer just lack quality up front, they are well organised and reasonably solid at the back, have a good midfield for this level, but once it gets to the final third you need more than grafters like Longworth, McGuigan and Malcolm. That's why the dominated the games in terms of territory, but didn't turn that into goals. It was the same last year, they had the best defensive record in the league, had a good midfield, but didn't have enough firepower up front. McManus at Morton scored the same as Malcolm and Longworth combined.

If they want promotion that's where they really need to push the boat out. Easier said than done to bring a goalscoring striker in though.

Archived