Clyde vs QP/QP vs Clyde - Play off Final

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ach well whatever happens at least we won't have to visit Hampden for at least a season, so win win for us. Might even be a worse match day experience than Ice Station Zebra and that is really saying something!

Six meltdowns, a banning and the thread locked before kick off.

^^this c**t gets it^^

A time when shaggro would be great entertainment value.

Will be very close, would have preferred to have Cowdenbeath given our track record against QP.

That said, if we do the business and win it at Hampden on Saturday, I think I'll spunk my load.

That said, if we do the business and win it at Hampden on Saturday, I think I'll spunk my load.

Likewise. My attendance has been piss poor this season but wouldn't miss this for anything. Surely a positive result on Tuesday will get everyone that can possibly make it to Hampden.

Bring it on

Likewise. My attendance has been piss poor this season but wouldn't miss this for anything. Surely a positive result on Tuesday will get everyone that can possibly make it to Hampden.

Bring it on

Due to work/family commitments I was unable to make either of the Elgin games, but should make both QP games, can't wait!

Surely NLL would have asked Clyde if they needed the stadium that Saturday?

We had already made them aware that we could possibly have a fixture on this date & we found out in March that they had booked it out for this BMX thing.

Generally speaking with just one hiccup this season, midweek games are good for us and I expect another win against the bully wee at Broadwood on Tuesday.

At the very least the pitch will lend itself to our style of football and if we can maintain the same tempo and desire as we did in our last midweek game then I'll go for another 2-0 win.

I think some of our Clyde friends are being quite cute (never thought I’d see myself typing that!) in their low-key approach to this game! A month or so ago their cause for pessimism (and ours for optimism) would have been more than justified, but a lot has happened to QP since then:

we have lost two of our most influential players in McKernon and Duggan

Gus McPherson might be banned from the dugout

we only scraped into the play-offs by a single goal

we’ve been out-muscled in our last two away games, losing both games to goals from six-yard box headers

Meantime Clyde have finally found form, convincingly winning all three of their last games. I very much doubt they will be in any way fearful of our recent dominance over them, and will be positively salivating over the prospect of (literally) pushing us aside. Reading the comments of the Elgin fans today about how Clyde completely stifled any creative play from the home team brought back all too familiar memories of when Albion Rovers dumped all over us for an entire season. Not once were they the better “footballing†team, but once they found a way to stifle our passing game, it set the scene for our old friend Gemmell to batter our defence and allow others to collect the crumbs.

It obviously very much depends on the outcome of Tuesday night’s first leg at Broadwood, but I also fear that the fixture switch has done us no favours. Had the first game been at Hampden I could have seen us taking a lead to Broadwood to try and stoutly defend. The likelihood now (and we’ll see if the bookies agree with me) is that it will be Clyde who’ll have a lead to protect at Hampden, and therein lies the problem that we’ve been notoriously bad at breaking down teams who are content to sit in.

For me the key to Queen’s winning this tie will be Gus’s team selection as for me there’s no doubt that McKernon’s absence has upset the balance of the team, and that Duggan will be even more sorely missed. If we try and sit it in against Clyde at Broadwood that would be suicide as Gemmell & Marsh have too much physical presence, so playing one-up is simply not an option as it will allow their wingbacks to charge forward and fling in crosses from wide positions. I think Gus needs to take a gamble, and for me that would be starting with Baty instead of McVey, and Galt instead of Bradley and pushed right up alongside Carter  (as he was with Duggan in the first match v Cowden). That then gives Gus the option to either keep his preferred back four as they are, or push Burns and McLeish forward to crowd the midfield, and slot Baty into a back three as he did so successfully earlier in the season.

We’ll see what the bookies make of it, but I suspect that they’ll have Clyde as slight favourites for this one (as I do), and hopefully that burden will weigh heavily on them as expectation grows in their camp over the next few days. Any supporter from either team who’s expecting Queen’s to coast this is sadly delusional!

With Clyde being unable to play at Broadwood next Saturday it would have been a problem for the SPFL if we had got through to the final as we couldn't have played at home next Saturday. Would have been interesting to see what they would have done, luckily we solved the problem for them.

What happened to duggan that he's missing the games? And what did gus get sent to the stand for?

Duggan done his hamstring. Gus got sent to the stand for protesting when we scored as he though it was a goal kick and not a corner, Wullie Muir also got booked for protesting.

I think some of our Clyde friends are being quite cute (never thought I’d see myself typing that!) in their low-key approach to this game! A month or so ago their cause for pessimism (and ours for optimism) would have been more than justified, but a lot has happened to QP since then:

we’ve been out-muscled in our last two away games, losing both games to goals from six-yard box headers

Meantime Clyde have finally found form, convincingly winning all three of their last games. I very much doubt they will be in any way fearful of our recent dominance over them, and will be positively salivating over the prospect of (literally) pushing us aside. Reading the comments of the Elgin fans today about how Clyde completely stifled any creative play from the home team brought back all too familiar memories of when Albion Rovers dumped all over us for an entire season. Not once were they the better “footballing†team, but once they found a way to stifle our passing game, it set the scene for our old friend Gemmell to batter our defence and allow others to collect the crumbs.

It obviously very much depends on the outcome of Tuesday night’s first leg at Broadwood, but I also fear that the fixture switch has done us no favours. Had the first game been at Hampden I could have seen us taking a lead to Broadwood to try and stoutly defend. The likelihood now (and we’ll see if the bookies agree with me) is that it will be Clyde who’ll have a lead to protect at Hampden, and therein lies the problem that we’ve been notoriously bad at breaking down teams who are content to sit in.

For me the key to Queen’s winning this tie will be Gus’s team selection as for me there’s no doubt that McKernon’s absence has upset the balance of the team, and that Duggan will be even more sorely missed. If we try and sit it in against Clyde at Broadwood that would be suicide as Gemmell & Marsh have too much physical presence, so playing one-up is simply not an option as it will allow their wingbacks to charge forward and fling in crosses from wide positions. I think Gus needs to take a gamble, and for me that would be starting with Baty instead of McVey, and Galt instead of Bradley and pushed right up alongside Carter (as he was with Duggan in the first match v Cowden). That then gives Gus the option to either keep his preferred back four as they are, or push Burns and McLeish forward to crowd the midfield, and slot Baty into a back three as he did so successfully earlier in the season.

We’ll see what the bookies make of it, but I suspect that they’ll have Clyde as slight favourites for this one (as I do), and hopefully that burden will weigh heavily on them as expectation grows in their camp over the next few days. Any supporter from either team who’s expecting Queen’s to coast this is sadly delusional!

Tl;dr

For me the key to Queen’s winning this tie will be Gus’s team selection as for me there’s no doubt that McKernon’s absence has upset the balance of the team, and that Duggan will be even more sorely missed. If we try and sit it in against Clyde at Broadwood that would be suicide as Gemmell & Marsh have too much physical presence, so playing one-up is simply not an option as it will allow their wingbacks to charge forward and fling in crosses from wide positions. I think Gus needs to take a gamble, and for me that would be starting with Baty instead of McVey, and Galt instead of Bradley and pushed right up alongside Carter  (as he was with Duggan in the first match v Cowden). That then gives Gus the option to either keep his preferred back four as they are, or push Burns and McLeish forward to crowd the midfield, and slot Baty into a back three as he did so successfully earlier in the season.

Spot on with all of that The Spider. Whilst it's great to see our team can battle when needed it was hard to watch from a football perspective yesterday. Jambo is a loss but Brown has added a wee bit flair and we've still been creating plenty. The loss of Duggan, if confirmed, is more of a blow especially against a physical defence like Clyde. I thought when Baty first joined he and Berry would make a great pairing but his injuries have never allowed the prospect to flourish. Maybe now's the time.

Noted a fairly strong comment from The Committee that they were telt to switch venues. Not sure how that'll work for us playing wise but the din made by the fans yesterday was exceptional and it's important to the players that we get out our seats on Saturday too.

I'll join the rutting contest on here to show the most dedicated fan story. Just changed my entire diary for the week, rebooked flights and hotels, costing my employer a small fortune, just to go to Broadwood for 2 hours. Cannae wait. Mon The Spiders!

Archived