Scottish Greens

Wilky1878

Absolutely true, the SNP won't propose unless they feel it's a foregone conclusion so why would Green's possibly block?

I know Robin Harper favoured a No vote, is being a Yesser a prerequisite now for candidates?

I have no idea buddy, I'd imagine they would need to go with the party with regards to votes so makes no difference.

Harvie has now stated he wouldn't block a second referendum if the SNP proposed one. And we know they only will when it's winnable.

5+ years for that,gives you plenty of time to spew your vomit about statehood/minor region/self dertermination etc etc tick tock enjoy the long journey.

Fuzzy, you are starting to do my head in. You're "they're wrong and should be ridiculed for it" type of posting is what's turning previous NO voters away from YES.

Your participation in other threads is cringeworthy, and does nothing positive for YES.

I don't remember asking you for an appraisal of my posting style. What's really cringeworthy is people asserting a party andman wwhich confirmed on 11th April this year they would oppose a referendum even in the caseof brexit will now ssupport one just cause they say so.

The success of the greens is a massive blow to the independence campaign in the short term.

I don't remember asking you for an appraisal of my posting style. What's really cringeworthy is people asserting a party andman wwhich confirmed on 11th April this year they would oppose a referendum even in the caseof brexit will now ssupport one just cause they say so.The success of the greens is a massive blow to the independence campaign in the short term.

You are deluded, you've followed the WOS narrative, which is blame the party closest to SNP in policy & future Indy for losing one seat in Edinburgh.

ETA- your previous post is one for GCHQ, I can't figure out your point...

Edited by Mortar Bored

5+ years for that,gives you plenty of time to spew your vomit about statehood/minor region/self dertermination etc etc tick tock enjoy the long journey.

Kevthemoron 😂. Why not just try this for attention you inbred, six-toed redneck? That way more people might play with you than just lil ol' me.

post-64437-0-98420800-1462634537_thumb.p

Edited by Antlion

Is standing as a (virtually) list only Party a realistic long term option if they are truly looking to breakthrough to regularly get more than a handful of seats? Not suggesting they can regularly win constituency seats in the short term but the extra coverage and kudos it brings is important perhaps.

No, but at this stage it was the right thing to do; standing in every seat and blowing thousands of pounds on lost deposits wouldn't be sensible either. Stand in constituencies where a credible challenge is possible, win a decent number of seats on the List, catch people's attention with that larger group of MSPs throughout the parliament, stand in more constituencies in the following election, win more seats on the List again, repeat until you've got enough credibility to take more than 5% in the majority of constituencies and make a credible challenge to win some.

It's obviously a long-term strategy and it's impossible to say what changes in circumstances there'll be election to election that affect your popularity, but it's the right approach to take. Use the £10,000+ you save to campaign and build support where you can actually do something with it rather than burning it by standing in every seat when you know you'll lose more deposits than you'll keep in a desperate scramble for relevance.

Edited by Dunning1874

No, but at this stage it was the right thing to do; standing in every seat and blowing thousands of pounds on lost deposits wouldn't be sensible either. Stand in constituencies where a credible challenge is possible, win a decent number of seats on the List, catch people's attention with that larger group of MSPs throughout the parliament, stand in more constituencies in the following election, win more seats on the List again, repeat until you've got enough credibility to take more than 5% in the majority of constituencies and make a credible challenge to win some.

It's obviously a long-term strategy and it's impossible to say what changes in circumstances there'll be election to election that affect your popularity, but it's the right approach to take. Use the £10,000+ you save on campaigning and building support where you can actually do something with it rather than burning it by standing in every seat when you know you'll lose more deposits than you'll keep in a desperate scramble for relevance.

It's exactly the right strategy. If the Lib Dems are smart they'll do the same tbh.

• 4 years later...

So Andy Wightman is transphobia-curious.

I didn't know until now that he went to hear Julie Bindel at Edinburgh Uni. She's a hate preacher, a terrible b*****d and someone who deserves to be no-platformed. She's Tommy Robinson with a different victim. The entire Edinburgh Uni LGBT+ committee resigned after the uni hosted that event.

One of the things that really put a boost into the whole "are trans people dangerous weirdos" debate is that it includes many people who have campaigned against other forms of bigotry. It's hard to believe they could be prejudiced when they've fought against prejudice elsewhere. But the US suffragists were opposed to votes for black women, many US civil rights groups were riddled with sexism and homophobia, and even here, recently, there have been seriously problems with racism in Pride events. I doubt there's ever been a movement of any type that hasn't had its problems with antisemitism.

I think there's two forms of this. One is the people who fought for their own equality, rather than for equality for others. I've seen recently that many women who call themselves feminists aren't opposed to discrimination, they just don't want to be on the receiving end of it. The second group is those who just have a gut dislike of a group, and don't understand that this is how prejudice always ultimately functions.

Sadly, I think Wightman has been influenced by people he would have regarded as legitimate voices of feminism.

I know a trans person who talked to with Andy Wightman about it a little a year or so ago and they felt he didn't get it, but wasn't opposed. They weren't bothered because they thought he would just stick to the stuff he knows, which is what he's generally done before. 

I doubt he intended it, but he gave a huge boost to real transphobes everywhere and they're having a party online today. Even if he wanted to do this, it was an incredibly naive and harmful way to go about it. I think he's just very naive about the whole thing.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Given the green vote rightly or wrongly depends to a large degree on support from wealthy middle class people kidding themselves on there's an ethical way to navigate capitalism (guilty m'lud) that would be suggesting there's going to be a lot of them switching to SNP if they're old and where if they're young, just not voting?

Slightly off topic, but isn’t finding an ethical way to navigate capitalism the best and only path for any of us?