Scottish Greens

Wilky1878

57 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Thought I'd Bump this up as there seems to be plentiful opinions and talk of a Green list vote on other threads.

Today in the Scottish Parliament Patrick Harvey gave a very forthright speech as party leader on the passing of Prince Philip, he mentioned that his party did not want a Monarchy in an Independent Scotland, the fact that wealth and privilege did not shield us from mortality, he went on to say that the 150,000 Covid deaths mainly passed a s a statistic, and of course he mentioned blood sports.

All very inflammatory to some sections of society but that's his party's view as he explained.

That's not all he said, he offered sincere condolences to those who will miss him.

This has wound up all the worst people, which is always fun to watch. 

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

I don't really mind if the Greens want to lay down their Republican credentials now, because despite the SNP going to lengths to emphasise their approval for the Monarchy, I think it's inevitable that within a decade or so of Independence there would be a referendum on the matter.  I'm not certain I'd be able to call right now how I think that would turn out, but I do believe that after 10 years of not being a defacto part of the UK, that Scots might begin to consider that issue in a totally different light to how the majority do right now. I don't believe there's any scope for a referendum on the Monarchy in Scotland as things stand, but I certainly believe there would be in a fully independent nation.

I am a great admirer of Nicola Sturgeon but if she personally continued to support the Monarchy as head of state post Independence I’d happily see her head on a spike.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

That's not all he said, he offered sincere condolences to those who will miss him.

This has wound up all the worst people, which is always fun to watch. 

That was at the top of his speech before he moved on to what he really wanted to say, he also mentioned that the Greens had discussed being absent from the proceedings.

Fair enough though as that what his party stands for and he's entitled to his and the party's opinion.

Well their views on the Monarchy have helped me make up my mind about my 2nd vote. I was impressed that they are quite prepared to voice this opinion in the face of blanket coverage and the idiotic view that the whole country is in mourning.

Not quite sure what I hate more - the very idea of a royal family in 2021 or Nicholas Witchell.......probably the latter.

10 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Well their views on the Monarchy have helped me make up my mind about my 2nd vote. I was impressed that they are quite prepared to voice this opinion in the face of blanket coverage and the idiotic view that the whole country is in mourning.

Not quite sure what I hate more - the very idea of a royal family in 2021 or Nicholas Witchell.......probably the latter.

He looks like a foetus.

Noticed that the Greens pre-election broadcast today claims that Scotland has the capacity to provide 25% of Europe's renewable energy.

This number is total bullshit and even a back-of-a-fag-packet analysis would tell you that.

Seems like something the Greens should be pretty strong on! IMO!!

Noticed that the Greens pre-election broadcast today claims that Scotland has the capacity to provide 25% of Europe's renewable energy.
This number is total bullshit and even a back-of-a-fag-packet analysis would tell you that.

Explain why it’s bullshit.

8 minutes ago, G51 said:

I've seen that number before and never really thought about it, so I did some digging. I always like to find a source.

Seems like everyone quotes the last important organisation that mentioned it, without ever giving an original source. I've traced it as far back as a reference in a 2006 briefing paper from FoE, WWF and RSPB, which says the source is a "Submission by the Scottish Executive to the PIU Energy Review 2001". I can find that Cabinet Office Performance & Innovation Unit review, published in 2002, but there's no reference to this figure in it and I can't find that Scottish Executive submission published.

I'm filing this alongside such gems as "we only have 100 harvests left" as things that get said a lot that might be true but there's no evidence to support it.

16 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Explain why it’s bullshit.

Because a) the numbers don't stack up, and b) it's sourced from a document that states Scotland has the capacity to produce 25% of Europes offshore wind and tidal, not 25% of Europes total renewable energy capacity.

Those are two wildly different things and it's something really basic that the party of renewables should understand. Really basic stuff.

Something I can’t quite get my head round as I am hopeless at technical matters but maybe someone on here can answer for me?

I hear lots of figures about huge amounts of green energy powering Scotland but, what if we get a few days or weeks with no wind, presumably we need to fall back on nuclear, gas, coal or hydro for power up to the full capacity needed. If that’s true and we can’t store wind power (or can we?)  it means we need all our existing nuclear and fossil fuel generating capacity.

Or am I getting this wrong? Seem to recall Andrew Neil ripping to shreds some green eco warrior on this a few years ago.

10 hours ago, G51 said:

Because a) the numbers don't stack up, and b) it's sourced from a document that states Scotland has the capacity to produce 25% of Europes offshore wind and tidal, not 25% of Europes total renewable energy capacity.

Those are two wildly different things and it's something really basic that the party of renewables should understand. Really basic stuff.

Did you submit that FoI request?

I can't find the 25% reference in either of the documents to which they link.

50 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Did you submit that FoI request?

I can't find the 25% reference in either of the documents to which they link.

I didn't submit the FOI request. It was put forward by a Green party candidate last night as the source for the figures.

11 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Something I can’t quite get my head round as I am hopeless at technical matters but maybe someone on here can answer for me?

I hear lots of figures about huge amounts of green energy powering Scotland but, what if we get a few days or weeks with no wind, 

How many times has the whole of Scotland - including its offshore waters - gone 'with no wind' for days never mind weeks? It's a bunch of fucking rocks sticking out at the far end of the Atlantic Ocean. 

I hear lots of figures about huge amounts of green energy powering Scotland but, what if we get a few days or weeks with no wind, presumably we need to fall back on nuclear, gas, coal or hydro for power up to the full capacity needed. If that’s true and we can’t store wind power (or can we?)  it means we need all our existing nuclear and fossil fuel generating capacity.
Or am I getting this wrong? Seem to recall Andrew Neil ripping to shreds some green eco warrior on this a few years ago.
It's also worth noting that when there is excess wind or wave power that can be used to pump water back up into the reservoirs of hydropower damns, allowing you to be able to use the power when there is low wind (not hugely efficient but works). And tidal power once fully up and running will have next to no down time,I'm a bit out of date with my info but fairly sure it was an hour or two a day, at peek high and low tide.

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

How many times has the whole of Scotland - including its offshore waters - gone 'with no wind' for days never mind weeks? It's a bunch of fucking rocks sticking out at the far end of the Atlantic Ocean. 

Exactly,

Fairly sure the lived experience with wind power generation is that it does actually offer good base energy levels. It's always windy somewhere in Scotland, particularly in the exposed places these wind farms are placed. Of course we need a varied power supply and I'm not going to suggest we have 25% of Europes potential anything, however what we do have:

• a huge coastline with significant tides
  • ample sea area for wind/wave power
  • a current running through the bit between the mainland and orkney all the time
  • Loads of land area for solar panels (during summer we actually get loads of sun)
  • High mountains and loads of water running down them (some locations where hydro infrastructure has been in place for decades)
  • Plenty Oil
  • Plenty Gas 
  • Even plenty Nuclear stations compared to actual power required

We're a diverse energy powerhouse.

12 hours ago, G51 said:

Could the following be another reason westminster are desperate to deny Scottish Independence, meanwhile telling us that Scots get far more per head of population than other parts of the uk.

And thats not taking into consideration the oil revenue.

In 2015, Scotland generated 59% of its electricity consumption through renewable sources, exceeding the country's goal of 50% renewable electricity by that year.[4] At the start of 2020, Scotland had 11.8 gigawatts (GW) of installed renewable electricity capacity, which produced approximately 25% of total UK renewable generation (119,000 GWh).[5] In 2018, Scotland exported over 28 per cent of generation[6] and in 2019 renewable electricity generation made up 90% of gross electricity consumption.[7] In decreasing order of capacity, Scotland's renewable generation comes from onshore wind, hydropower, offshore wind, solar PV and biomass.[8]

Edited by SandyCromarty