shire v edin city

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many of the 320 figure that is quoted for average crowds for the Shire would have been away supporters on average and are unused comp tickets still factored in by smaller national league level clubs to make the attendance number look better in the paper? In years gone by that sort of thing often inflated crowd numbers by up to 150 compared to what it would be based on a head count at the game.

How many of the 320 figure that is quoted for average crowds for the Shire would have been away supporters on average and are unused comp tickets still factored in by smaller national league level clubs to make the attendance number look better in the paper? In years gone by that sort of thing often inflated crowd numbers by up to 150 compared to what it would be based on a head count at the game.

It's the opposite. Clubs do their best to keep the crowd numbers down.

Probably factor in an average of 50 or so away fans a game. Obviously be more from the East Fifes/Clydes and Arbroaths and less from the Elgins/Berwicks and Annans.

They'll be competitive in the LL. There are 3 or 4 half decent teams but the bottom half is dross from what I've seen (limited ).

Agreed HTG,no doubting the quality of East Kilbride,Spartans,Stirling Uni and Cumbernauld.Some of the mid table teams are reasonable ie Bsc,Dalbeattie,Whitehill,Gretna but they're not in the same class as the above mentioned 4 clubs.

Yesterday was a strange game to watch. Edinburgh were comfortably the better side over the 90 minutes, but the longer the game dragged on without a goal, the more the neutral suspected that City would rue failing to turn their dominance into clear cut chances.

I haven't ever seen Ochilview as busy and am surprised at the low official attendance- I thought there was nearer to 1800 / 1900 there.

Shire had a couple of early half chances but failed really to test Amos in the City goal. The occasion, strangely, seemed to get to Shire much more than it did City. City worked hard in the first half and got particular joy on the right wing, where they had a couple of nippy players who pulled the Shire defence about. But, on the occasions when a ball was fired into the box, Allum was very closely marshalled by the Shire central defence and was unable to have a clear sight of goal.

A dreadful first half dominated by two nervy and disjointed midfields didn't really improve after the interval. The only thing that did change, however, was that City's dominance of the game gradually increased. From around the hour mark they won corner after corner and really began to work the Shire keeper, who had a good game. Indeed the match would have been over much earlier but for a couple of smart saves; one, low down to his right at the base of the post, to turn away a fine shot from a City attacker, kept his team in the game.

As the tension ramped up so the quality dropped worryingly close to the "zero" mark. City forwards had a couple of brainless scoops over the bar when very well placed. Shire were awarded a free kick six or seven yards from the edge of the City box, a dangerous position with the penalty area packed with players. The taker, ludicrously, hit the ball straight into the arms of the grateful Amos.

Extra time really seemed likely and some neutrals chafed that they were faced with "another half hour of this pish". But suddenly a lofted ball was dinked towards Allum, who had the beating of Donaldson, and the City centre forward, finally free of the shackles that had constrained him all afternoon, burst clear. He arrowed into the area, head down, and the Shire keeper began to come off his line. All of a sudden, he crashed to the floor under the weight of a desperate Donaldson challenge. Stupid- the goalie arguably may have done enough to block any shot- and the clearest penalty and sending off I've seen this season. The tension was excruciating suddenly, as the distraught Donaldson trudged off and the goalkeeper and Shire captain argued a little bit with the ref.

Gair's penalty was nerveless and low to the goalkeeper's right. 1-0, and bedlam from the 400 or so City fans in the ground.

It really was too late for Shire to do anything. Nonetheless, stung out of their lethargy, they won a corner. The set piece didn't even clear the first defender, which summed up Shire's afternoon. The ball was cleared and ninety seconds later the referee's final whistle signalled City's deserved promotion, and Shire's drop out of the senior ranks. The City players and coaching staffed charged pell-mell into to the noisy wee boys behind the goal that had sung their prasies all afternoon. Shire's Craig Tully and his staff stood immobile in the dugout, in shock.

Really, for the neutral, there was no defence for Shire yesterday. They simply didn't show enough desire or application in a niggly game, to win. Edinburgh were better on the day and had a huge appetite for promotion and to play at a higher level.

What now for both teams? Huge changes, for different reasons.

For City, they have a really hard working and fit team based on community spirit and clear club values. That won't be enough to keep them in the senior national ranks for long. After the celebrations have died down, they have a fine balance to strike between the kind of spirit that got them into League Two, and signing the experienced characters who will help keep them there. City looked great on the ball but were very blunt in attack- the much vaunted Allum didn't really have a sniff of goal yesterday. Finding a replacement for the effortless Mbu will be a very tough ask, as well. But with a few good signings and a seamless merging of new faces in a promotion winning side I am sure that they can match if not better Annan's settling into the senior ranks in the years ahead.

As for Shire? really, who knows. Were I on the Shire board I would clear out all but 2-3 of a squad which surrended nearly a century of league membership so meekly yesterday. The young goalkeeper looked worth persisting with but really very few of the outfielders showed they were worth another deal. Manager Tully and his staff will probably be moved on as well.

Shire will go into an unfamiliar level as a "name" that all of these hungry Lowland Leaguers will want a piece of. That may work for them too, if they can attract the required standard of players to the club that will help take them forward. A new and well connected coach that knows the league, and a small core of ambitious players, may turn things around for them in a couple of seasons- instant promotion looks the least likely of scenarios. The big question is, does the club have the time, money and potential fanbase for all of this to happen?

Best of luck to both clubs for the huge transitional summer that lies ahead.

I still gave you a "greenie"!

Btw, what the f*ck is this self-assembly furniture shite about?

Heard it for the 1st time yesterday

To the tune of Cwm Rhondda (Bread of Heaven)

Self assembly furniture

Self assembly furniture

We're the pride of Stirlingshire

Was at the 2nd leg. Got to say that the result was fair over the boring 90 minutes. Disappointed that the Shire didn't put up a better fight in the biggest game ever. If I'm honest, I don't expect to see them back.

Absolutely devastated by yesterday's result. Played a horrible route one game that seems to appear anytime we face pressure. Got what we deserve based on yesterday's performance.

Makes you seriously worry about how many years the club has left with the current financial situation, getting out of Stenny seems to be a start but we will be there for another season at least due to the notice period. A lot of questions to be answered and hopefully some of them will be after the board meeting tomorrow. Hopefully an announcement that Craig Tully has fucked off and is never coming back. Time will tell.

Feelings at the club will be still raw but yes a starter for 10 is getting away from Ochilview which with benefit of hindsight was a rushed decision to go homeless to try and appease Mackin- I don't think Spencer Fearn for all his business acumen was best advised in this situation.

Also I think Shire need a complete re-think on a new business model which is sustainable- are there any potential reputable business people in Falkirk who could get help them get their house in order- and I'm not talking about throwing money at the club

Like most neutrals at the ground I was disappointed by the quality of the game itself. After drawing in Edinburgh I thought Shire would be more fired up for this but the tension that you could feel coming from the Main Stand seemed to reflect the way the Shire were playing.They looked scared to go for it. Having said that after 2 legs a late penalty decided it against a team that romped the Lowland league. Great crowd at the ground and must be way more than the official amount given. I see the management team were shown the door today and I am sure a few players will follow.Sad to see this happening to the Shire but hopefully they will regroup and challenge again next season. Best of luck to them.

Personally I think that the juniors is a higher level than highland league and lowland, when ever Linlithgow, Bo'ness or Auchinleck meet these teams in the senior Scottish they always seem to come out victorious, I'm surprised these teams don't apply to get into the pyramid system.. Why? Is it down to finances etc?

Personally I think that the juniors is a higher level than highland league and lowland, when ever Linlithgow, Bo'ness or Auchinleck meet these teams in the senior Scottish they always seem to come out victorious, I'm surprised these teams don't apply to get into the pyramid system.. Why? Is it down to finances etc?

Didn't Cumbernauld Colts beat Auchinleck in last years Scottish Cup?

You're on the wind up starting this again.

Archived