shire v edin city

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most League 2 teams would cope with relegation imo, but Shire will need to totally start again. They've got their name which should be an attraction if they can sort everything else out. The worst thing they could do is strive for an immediate return.

I'm not having that most clubs at this level would be relegated and stand no chance of ever returning though. Selkirk, Whitehill, Gala and some of the uni teams are hardly super clubs, guaranteed to be better than current league two clubs if they end up at the same level.

Agree regarding the Lowland League, but if ourselves or the Mo got punted into the Highland League it'd be a very different story. Not necessarily due to the standard being better than the Lowland, but simply due to the geography. Our player recruitment would have to completely change for starters, and the quality of player we could attract would dramatically decrease.

Agree regarding the Lowland League, but if ourselves or the Mo got punted into the Highland League it'd be a very different story. Not necessarily due to the standard being better than the Lowland, but simply due to the geography. Our player recruitment would have to completely change for starters, and the quality of player we could attract would dramatically decrease.

Ach I'm sure Sir Richard Little would still make the Stevenston to Wick trips in the motor for the Arbroath cause.

Yesterday was a strange game to watch. Edinburgh were comfortably the better side over the 90 minutes, but the longer the game dragged on without a goal, the more the neutral suspected that City would rue failing to turn their dominance into clear cut chances.

I haven't ever seen Ochilview as busy and am surprised at the low official attendance- I thought there was nearer to 1800 / 1900 there.

Shire had a couple of early half chances but failed really to test Amos in the City goal. The occasion, strangely, seemed to get to Shire much more than it did City. City worked hard in the first half and got particular joy on the right wing, where they had a couple of nippy players who pulled the Shire defence about. But, on the occasions when a ball was fired into the box, Allum was very closely marshalled by the Shire central defence and was unable to have a clear sight of goal.

A dreadful first half dominated by two nervy and disjointed midfields didn't really improve after the interval. The only thing that did change, however, was that City's dominance of the game gradually increased. From around the hour mark they won corner after corner and really began to work the Shire keeper, who had a good game. Indeed the match would have been over much earlier but for a couple of smart saves; one, low down to his right at the base of the post, to turn away a fine shot from a City attacker, kept his team in the game.

As the tension ramped up so the quality dropped worryingly close to the "zero" mark. City forwards had a couple of brainless scoops over the bar when very well placed. Shire were awarded a free kick six or seven yards from the edge of the City box, a dangerous position with the penalty area packed with players. The taker, ludicrously, hit the ball straight into the arms of the grateful Amos.

Extra time really seemed likely and some neutrals chafed that they were faced with "another half hour of this pish". But suddenly a lofted ball was dinked towards Allum, who had the beating of Donaldson, and the City centre forward, finally free of the shackles that had constrained him all afternoon, burst clear. He arrowed into the area, head down, and the Shire keeper began to come off his line. All of a sudden, he crashed to the floor under the weight of a desperate Donaldson challenge. Stupid- the goalie arguably may have done enough to block any shot- and the clearest penalty and sending off I've seen this season. The tension was excruciating suddenly, as the distraught Donaldson trudged off and the goalkeeper and Shire captain argued a little bit with the ref.

Gair's penalty was nerveless and low to the goalkeeper's right. 1-0, and bedlam from the 400 or so City fans in the ground.

It really was too late for Shire to do anything. Nonetheless, stung out of their lethargy, they won a corner. The set piece didn't even clear the first defender, which summed up Shire's afternoon. The ball was cleared and ninety seconds later the referee's final whistle signalled City's deserved promotion, and Shire's drop out of the senior ranks. The City players and coaching staffed charged pell-mell into to the noisy wee boys behind the goal that had sung their prasies all afternoon. Shire's Craig Tully and his staff stood immobile in the dugout, in shock.

Really, for the neutral, there was no defence for Shire yesterday. They simply didn't show enough desire or application in a niggly game, to win. Edinburgh were better on the day and had a huge appetite for promotion and to play at a higher level.

What now for both teams? Huge changes, for different reasons.

For City, they have a really hard working and fit team based on community spirit and clear club values. That won't be enough to keep them in the senior ranks for long. After the celebrations have died down, they have a fine balance to strike between the kind of spirit that got them into League Two, and signing the experienced characters who will help keep them there. City looked great on the ball but were very blunt in attack- the much vaunted Allum didn't really have a sniff of goal yesterday. Finding a replacement for the effortless Mbu will be a very tough ask, as well. But with a few good signings and a seamless merging of new faces in a promotion winning side I am sure that they can match if not better Annan's settling into the senior ranks in the years ahead.

As for Shire? really, who knows. Were I on the Shire board I would clear out all but 2-3 of a squad which surrended nearly a century of league membership so meekly yesterday. The young goalkeeper looked worth persisting with but really very few of the outfielders showed they were worth another deal. Manager Tully and his staff will probably be moved on as well.

Shire will go into an unfamiliar level as a "name" that all of these hungry Lowland Leaguers will want a piece of. That may work for them too, if they can attract the required standard of players to the club that will help take them forward. A new and well connected coach that knows the league, and a small core of ambitious players, may turn things around for them in a couple of seasons- instant promotion looks the least likely of scenarios. The big question is, does the club have the time, money and potential fanbase for all of this to happen?

Best of luck to both clubs for the huge transitional summer that lies ahead.

Great post ivo!! One wee gripe,the LL and HL are senior leagues but I get what you meant,basically shire are out of the SPFL. Keep up the good work.

'Shire averaged 320 this season in SPFL2.

How do we think that'll fare in LL?

Travelling supports in LL are low but I could see various opponents bringing X dozen for the novelty of the first visit.

Obviously they'll lose the derby v Stirling Albion. Will some home fans stop going? Or could winning football encourage an increase?

I think Ivo den Bieman's summed up yesterday's game very well in his post.

It was, and I can say this unequivocally, the worst football match I've ever been to. For such a high-stakes affair, the quality on show came nowhere near matching it. Balls whacked from back front, headers, endless headers, shots whacked high and wide over and over again.

Edinburgh City, credit to them and their promotion, but they're a wretched team and unless there's major recruitment over the summer they'll go right back where they came from. Other than big Joe Mbu who strolled through the 90 minutes, I can't think of anyone who stood out. They're a hard-working bunch, make no mistake, but there's nothing about them at all. As for the Shire, well, other than their 'keeper, no-one seemed aware of what was on the line. They had some decent chances, especially in the first half where they were the better team, but there was no real urgency to their play. Sticking Chris Townsley up top as a last throw of the dice seemed Craig Tully's only real piece of tactical thinking.

God knows what happens next. The Shire will need a long, hard period of introspection. Moving to Ochilview is killing them. There's a lot of good people working at the club and adapting to the challenges of the Lowland League will be decisive. The next few weeks will be massive.

On what basis is the standard in the HFL better than the LL ?

On what basis is the standard in the HFL better than the LL ?

I've not said it is or it isn't. I suspect they're probably on a fairly similar level, but if anything the Highland League has a few more better individual players.

I've not said it is or it isn't. I suspect they're probably on a fairly similar level, but if anything the Highland League has a few more better individual players.

Who are the top five players in the Lowland League in your opinion?

Who are the top five players in the Lowland League in your opinion?

I don't know. I don't know the top five players in the Highland League either. There's a reason I used the word 'suspect' in my comment; I haven't seen enough of either league to make a full comment. On the surface, I suspect there's not much between the leagues (based on results against each other, and against league opposition) and I think the Highland League has a few better individuals, based on the players who've dropped down to that level from the SPFL over the last 4/5 years.

It's a strange one. The LL is still bedding in to an extent, and the pyramid needs to develop a lot more before judgementa about quality can really be reached.

I will say that the Smokies signed Robbie Ross from Edinburgh a few seasons ago and he didn't look out of place in whatever League Two was called back then. Omar Kader went to Leagiue One from Spartans and more than held his own. Many players from the national senioir leagues now play at LL level (e.g. Alan Benton, a fine centre half for Albion Rovers a few years back, now at Cumbernauld) and get on fine.

Think the biggest culture shock will be the lack of crowds in the LL. The likes of Cumbernauld, BSC, Stirling University, and one or two others have, well, basically, no fans at all. It will be strange for Shire's small travelling support to outnumber the friends and family there to cheer on the home side. 300 being seen as a "big crowd" and attendances that regularly hover about the 100 mark will be desperate stuff.

In saying that City had a very good and noisy support yesterday and now that they are in the league I can see them attracting a decent crowd- as Annan showed, the trick is holding onto these folk after the novelty has worn off.

Both Highland and Lowland League suffer from the range of quality, the Highland League particulalrly so. There are 5 or 6 HL clubs that could easily hold their own in league Two, yet some of the teams at the bottom of that league wouldn't pull up any trees at junior level (Strathspey, FW, Huntly, Rothes).

I don't know. I don't know the top five players in the Highland League either. There's a reason I used the word 'suspect' in my comment; I haven't seen enough of either league to make a full comment. .

Yip.

Benton couldnt get in the Cumbernauld team and has been back Junior since about February.

Many players from the national senioir leagues now play at LL level (e.g. Alan Benton, a fine centre half for Albion Rovers a few years back, now at Cumbernauld) and get on fine.

As for the Shire - move to Grangemouth, concentrate on putting a young and hungry team on the pitch and who knows, a season where they win or at least make a credible challenge for the LL title could reignite some latent local support. Wouldnt be shocked to see them take on Edinburgh City again at the same stage next season.

Hope to see them back in the senior leagues shortly.

Ivo summed the whole thing up really well. As a spectacle it was rubbish. In terms of stakes it was a big deal. In that respect i can't understand why Shire were not more "at it". At the very least they could have been kicking everything that moved. I thought they accepted their fate meekly.

You would think that the Shire's home support wouldn't drop much - as mentioned, they'll be winning more games (surely to f**k) and I wouldn't have thought that two games apiece against the teams in League Two would be much more of a draw than one against each Lowland club, even in the long term. No doubt plenty of other clubs will be keeping a close eye on their attendances in case it ends up being something they need to plan for.

Archived