shire v edin city

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you take more than 2 men and a dug to Ochilview you can stand there aswell

We've took more than that and not been able to, incorrect. Yet to see a dug away fan at Gayfield.

In seriousness it's obviously not our best away supported game but still relatively decent and all get punted in a seat on one half of that shitey stand and told no to move.

Agree with the sentiment; but the pyramid system should reward ambition.

So I would say; Come one the City!

This. Who cares if this lot are even bigger diddies in club terms than the Shire it's all about what team gets put out on the park.

See shire have increased the prices for this from their usual match day league prices. Must be expecting to

Make some extra coin from the increased crowd.

They have increased the price from £12 to £13 for the 2nd leg at Ochilview. Don`t understand the logic of increasing the price, they may make a few extra quid but imo its a wrong move. How can they justify the increase when they are playing a lower league side. I just hope Edinburgh City win and take their place in SPL2 next season. It would serve them right It will be interesting to see the attendance on Saturday, be surprised if its more than 1,200.

Be the Albion next year m9.

Be the Albion next year m9.

Hope not surely can only improve after this season, hopefully McLaren can turn it around and get us into the playoffs at least not the relegation playoffs I hasten to add.

I have to agree with some of the earlier sentiments on the clubs at tier five.

Spartans aside, there don't seem to be any clubs capable of enhancing the SPFL with their support, facilities and opportunities for young talent. Edinburgh City would perhaps be second in this regard with East Kilbride possibly being able to do this in the long-term.

BSC Glasgow? Selkirk? Threave Rovers? Beyond the clubs above (and those are at a push) there is absolutely nothing at Lowland League level nor at Highland League level.

Some clubs at the top of tier five will have transient periods when they are good enough to win the playoff with the poorest League 2 side but if it isn't one of the above three (again, at a push) I'm not eager to see the SPFL side go down.

This isn't me being elitist, I'd love to see a functioning pyramid system based on sporting merit but the Lowland League was clearly a rushed job that we're now stuck with. The consequences of that are that the vast number of supporters aren't engaged with it and moreover it's a very difficult if not insurmountable hurdle to be overcome if we truly want the biggest non-league clubs to be involved in this process, i.e. Junior Superleague clubs.

ETA: I am aware that some will be appalled at these comments but that is my view and the rationale for it so I ask you respectfully reply if/when disagreeing. For the sake of balance I recognise the comparatively strong results of Lowland League clubs against Junior sides (and some SPFL sides since that leagues founding) and I am wishing for Edinburgh City to gain promotion on Saturday for a new club in the SPFL, as comeuppance for East Stirling and to draw attention to the pyramid system and fuel the sort of debate I've contributed to above as well as perhaps making clubs envious and thus more ambitious to try and replicate the hypothetical success of ECFC.

No-one expects BSCG / Selkirk / Threave to reach SPFL though, as their league placings reflect. Even if your criteria is "enhancement", as opposed to simply providing fair sporting opportunity.

It's like saying Dumbarton won't enhance the Premiership.

That sort of emphasises my point then that it's been all rather rushed and we're in a difficult spot.

If there is such a discrepancy in a fifteen team league, it wasn't very well conceptualised.

I'll be generous and add Gretna to the list of teams who could maybe consolidate a place in the SPFL. There's hardly great strength in depth below them in the league which really harms the argument for having a pyramid at all.

What if we expanded the SPFL and invited six tier five clubs in? It would leave the Lowland League a farce of a level though the Highland League would carry on as it has done in losing clubs.

Even if your criteria is "enhancement", as opposed to simply providing fair sporting opportunity.

Thanks, I think you've gotten us to the nub of the argument. Who do we want to provide fair sporting opportunity to?

I notionally agree with the idea and many of my sentences are to create some debate around the issue of the pyramid rather than being something o elitistly, philosophically believe, but I do believe that you have to draw the line somewhere on the standard of club you invite into the competition.

I'm asking if beyond a handful of current tier five clubs, would that be an appropriate line? But I'm also pointing out that that's unenforceable as those remaining clubs are now at that tier of football and should remain so until such times as they're demoted through their play while also saying that there are a larger number of viable SPFL or Tier five calibre clubs who are going to be very difficult to integrate not just because of their stubbornness but because the LL was rushed into being.y

ETA: The football authorities would agree with me on this as well to an extent as licensing criteria becomes more strenuous as a club rises through tiers.

So while sporting merit is a nice idea, it must be balanced by what a club can bring to its prospective fellow members and for the good of the game in th country. indicators of that would be facilities, an ability to contribute to the development of young players in Scotland, financial means.

I have to agree with some of the earlier sentiments on the clubs at tier five.

Spartans aside, there don't seem to be any clubs capable of enhancing the SPFL with their support, facilities and opportunities for young talent. Edinburgh City would perhaps be second in this regard with East Kilbride possibly being able to do this in the long-term.

BSC Glasgow? Selkirk? Threave Rovers? Beyond the clubs above (and those are at a push) there is absolutely nothing at Lowland League level nor at Highland League level.

Some clubs at the top of tier five will have transient periods when they are good enough to win the playoff with the poorest League 2 side but if it isn't one of the above three (again, at a push) I'm not eager to see the SPFL side go down.

This isn't me being elitist, I'd love to see a functioning pyramid system based on sporting merit but the Lowland League was clearly a rushed job that we're now stuck with. The consequences of that are that the vast number of supporters aren't engaged with it and moreover it's a very difficult if not insurmountable hurdle to be overcome if we truly want the biggest non-league clubs to be involved in this process, i.e. Junior Superleague clubs.

ETA: I am aware that some will be appalled at these comments but that is my view and the rationale for it so I ask you respectfully reply if/when disagreeing. For the sake of balance I recognise the comparatively strong results of Lowland League clubs against Junior sides (and some SPFL sides since that leagues founding) and I am wishing for Edinburgh City to gain promotion on Saturday for a new club in the SPFL, as comeuppance for East Stirling and to draw attention to the pyramid system and fuel the sort of debate I've contributed to above as well as perhaps making clubs envious and thus more ambitious to try and replicate the hypothetical success of ECFC.

Support, facilities and opportunity for young players? Which current SPFL 2 teams provide two of those three?

Support, facilities and opportunity for young players? Which current SPFL 2 teams provide two of those three?

What ones don't? Shire might be terrible but their average is about 350 which I imagine is a lot more than any LL or HL club, and the facilities at Ochilview are very good (I don't personally like the place at all but that's another story).

What ones don't? Shire might be terrible but their average is about 350 which I imagine is a lot more than any LL or HL club, and the facilities at Ochilview are very good (I don't personally like the place at all but that's another story).

Given that ochilview is one stand and a terrace with Nowt at all on the other two sides and that seems to be suffice for the original poster, what lowland teams don't?

Given that ochilview is one stand and a terrace with Nowt at all on the other two sides and that seems to be suffice for the original poster, what lowland teams don't?

I don't think that's what he means by facilities. Shops/toilets/hospitality/changing facilities etc surely? And I've no idea, I couldn't name more than 6 teams in the LL I have no knowledge of it I was just questioning what you said.

I don't think that's what he means by facilities. Shops/toilets/hospitality/changing facilities etc surely? And I've no idea, I couldn't name more than 6 teams in the LL I have no knowledge of it I was just questioning what you said.

All of the clubs in the lowland have changing facilities and toilets etc that are in line with the licensing needed at spfl level. As for shops, sure most have a really good catering facility and provide hospitality. It seems a crazy way to judge the clubs when it's pretty much the one criteria they are guaranteed to have!

It's more than most at LL and HL level but I'd expect that to be a lot higher for whatever team actually comes up, particularly if its one of the edinburgh sides that manages it first.

All of the clubs in the lowland have changing facilities and toilets etc that are in line with the licensing needed at spfl level. As for shops, sure most have a really good catering facility and provide hospitality. It seems a crazy way to judge the clubs when it's pretty much the one criteria they are guaranteed to have!

Oh well. Looks like we're both right then.

Archived