#BothVotesSNP

Scary Bear

How about these MSPs just forget about the indy question, sit down and run the fucking country like they were elected to do?

As what, a wee bit of northern Britain with some powers, but a whole host of policies affecting us coming from outside the country?

You seem to want Scotland to be run as a country and a region of a country.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about these MSPs just forget about the indy question, sit down and run the fucking country like they were elected to do?

Why bother? Surely it's just an illusion of power.

As what, a wee bit of northern Britain with some powers, but a whole host of policies affecting us coming from outside the country?

You seem to want Scotland to be run as a country and a region of a country.

I don't want to be run by any kind of government, but let's make the most of what we have. Why waste so much time arguing about independence when all it is is one lot of power hungry parasites arguing with another over who gets to have power over us?

Why would he be raging, other than his permanent state? That was quite a decent result for raging Rangers fans, no?

Who knows, he was seething about Sturgeon cuttin about in a helicopter during the General Election and brought that back  XD

Why bother? Surely it's just an illusion of power.

The power is real, the illusion is our amount of influence over who wields the power.

I don't want to be run by any kind of government, but let's make the most of what we have. Why waste so much time arguing about independence when all it is is one lot of power hungry parasites arguing with another over who gets to have power over us?

So you want them to "run the country" which they can't actually do, but which you don't want them to do anyway because you don't really like governmental rule, and consider all government's power-hungry parasites, and so want us just to get on with having them at UK and Scottish level.

Coherent.

So you want them to "run the country" which they can't actually do, but which you don't want them to do anyway because you don't really like governmental rule, and consider all government's power-hungry parasites, and so want us just to get on with having them at UK and Scottish level.

Coherent.

...and EU level and no forgetting the cooncils.

Nae wonder he's stoned.

If they had campaigned for SNP-Green then they'd be tying their hands when it comes to the business of government as they'd have difficulty credibly opposing a party that they'd told people to vote for. And the SNP is a wide enough Kirk outside of the issue of independence already without destabilising it further likes that.

I don't think anyone has suggested the SNP should have campaigned for SNP/Green, but they didn't have to push SNP/SNP as hard as they did. Most parties just have the "both votes" thing as a general, but not prominent, part of their campaign literature.

On the Election Day thread, there's people who said they wanted to vote SNP/Green but decided on SNP/SNP at the last minute because their original intention felt too risky. Would they have changed their minds without the active campaign? I guess we'll never know.

But in regions where the SNP is strong in the constituencies, it's very hard for them to get a list seat. In 2011, Mark McDonald was on the podium in Aberdeen in jeans and a jumper because nobody thought he would even come close. There were people ahead of him on the list, and they were all standing in constituencies - which, it was thought, if they all won, there would be no chance of a list seat.

Someone feel free to check me on my maths, but by my calculations the Tories' 4th seat in the North East was the 7th overall on an adjusted total of 17,170. That means the SNP would have needed 33,000 more votes to get a list seat in NE.

However, if you take the average constituency vote for the SNP in that region, it's 48.86%. Apply that to the total list vote in the North East region and they only reach 150,000 or thereabouts. So even if every SNP voter in the North East did SNP/SNP, they'd still have fallen short. Sure, those extra votes would have had to come from somewhere but my guess is that it wouldn't hit the Tory total to any significant degree. Likely the Greens would have dropped further back.

This is a 5 minute back of an envelope calculation. Feel free to point out where I might have gone wrong.

I don't think anyone has suggested the SNP should have campaigned for SNP/Green, but they didn't have to push SNP/SNP as hard as they did. Most parties just have the "both votes" thing as a general, but not prominent, part of their campaign literature.

On the Election Day thread, there's people who said they wanted to vote SNP/Green but decided on SNP/SNP at the last minute because their original intention felt too risky. Would they have changed their minds without the active campaign? I guess we'll never know.

But in regions where the SNP is strong in the constituencies, it's very hard for them to get a list seat. In 2011, Mark McDonald was on the podium in Aberdeen in jeans and a jumper because nobody thought he would even come close. There were people ahead of him on the list, and they were all standing in constituencies - which, it was thought, if they all won, there would be no chance of a list seat.

Someone feel free to check me on my maths, but by my calculations the Tories' 4th seat in the North East was the 7th overall on an adjusted total of 17,170. That means the SNP would have needed 33,000 more votes to get a list seat in NE.

However, if you take the average constituency vote for the SNP in that region, it's 48.86%. Apply that to the total list vote in the North East region and they only reach 150,000 or thereabouts. So even if every SNP voter in the North East did SNP/SNP, they'd still have fallen short. Sure, those extra votes would have had to come from somewhere but my guess is that it wouldn't hit the Tory total to any significant degree. Likely the Greens would have dropped further back.

This is a 5 minute back of an envelope calculation. Feel free to point out where I might have gone wrong.

I've nae idea if you're right or wrong but you've got tae admit hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The problem with the "SNP were playing too rough" arguments regarding both votes is that what people are arguing for is the SNP being in the same position they are today, in a minority, but with less SNP MSPs.

This is a government we are electing, there is no such thing a s a pro-union/anti-union approach to day to day policy making.

The problem with the "SNP were playing too rough" arguments regarding both votes is that what people are arguing for is the SNP being in the same position they are today, in a minority, but with less SNP MSPs.

This is a government we are electing, there is no such thing a s a pro-union/anti-union approach to day to day policy making.

post of the day/ night/ whatever time it is.

People who think voting SNP/Green is risky don't do enough risky stuff.

Trying to hook a keyring from a jar filled with salt, razorblades and scorpions with your penis while blindfolded and bouncing on a pogo stick is risky.

Voting for a slightly different party in an election is not risky.

Yes, why change anything, ever? 

Does anyone have an analysis of List votes anywhere showing who was next in line for a seat in each region? Thinking of something similar to Cutbot's pre-election forecasts, but they've not posted anything with the results and I'm too tired to bother working it out myself.

I'd be very interested to see who was next in line in each case, but I'm assuming it'll mostly be the Greens who missed out.

There must be a better system than the List. Voters do not even choose the candidates. Thousands of votes making not a jot o difference.

Archived