#BothVotesSNP

Scary Bear

953,587 votes equating to 4 Regional List seats. Good return?

Would they have been better not pedalling the both votes SNP line and letting the independence supporting Greens get a few more seats?

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would they have been better not pedalling the both votes SNP line and letting the independence supporting Greens get a few more seats?

I think we'll need to crunch the numbers to get a definitive answer.

No. It was an election to elect political parties to parliament.

It's difficult to say. My votes were wasted in Edinburgh West and on the Lothians list*, but if the SNP had fared as badly across Edinburgh, my list vote would have counted.

Equally you could argue that if more people voted SNP x 2 then they'd have got a couple more on the list.

Perhaps naïve, but I wondered last night why the SNP didn't set up a branch office pro-indy organisation that purely sat as list candidates.

* Edit: technically I suppose my individual vote has always been 'wasted' in the sense that it's never made a difference to the result.

A pundit on the BBC said that if the greens didnae stand against Ruth Davidson then the SNP would likely have won.

Anyway my man John Swinney won and that's the only constituency that I can vote in so dinnae blame me  post-55994-0-75382700-1462529307.png

Indeed.

Also nothing wrong with splitting your vote if that reflects the balance of parliament you want to see.

Wasted votes is a truly moronic phrase.

If an individual has voted in a way that they feel has contributed to a parliamentary situation that they didn't want that's a question for them and them only.

A pundit on the BBC said that if the greens didnae stand against Ruth Davidson then the SNP would likely have won.

Anyway my man John Swinney won and that's the only constituency that I can vote in so dinnae blame me tartan03 copy.png

Equally if Ruth Davidson hadn't stood the SNP would have won.

This democracy stuff is a complicated business.

Indeed.

Also nothing wrong with splitting your vote if that reflects the balance of parliament you want to see.

Wasted votes is a truly moronic phrase.

If an individual has voted in a way that they feel has contributed to a parliamentary situation that they didn't want that's a question for them and them only.

That brings back memories.

I can remember voting SNP for years and my labour voting mates would point and laugh and say 'a wasted vote'

And they voted Labour in Perthshire and they couldnae see the irony.

The SNP were absolutely right to campaign for both votes, obviously. The discussion here is whether the people that weren't representing the SNP telling everyone considering Green to stick with the SNP may have contributed to the Tories beating the Greens to second list seats.

The discussion here is whether the people that weren't representing the SNP telling everyone considering Green to stick with the SNP may have contributed to the Tories beating the Greens to second list seats.

For me there was an undercurrent of SNP supporters talking about complacency and the need to back SNP with both votes. That viewpoint just looks a bit hollow now.

Looking at the list votes for Lothian, South of Scotland and West Scotland, the SNP missed out on the final list seats by very narrow margins.  It's likely that people trying to game the system and tactical voting has cost the SNP a majority :(

How many more pro Indy voices to we need?

We have a pro Indy majority if we need to utilise that in the life of the parliament.

In the Lib Dems we also have a different set of options for cooperation which means we are not beholden to the wackier green policies whilst still getting a sharp stick from the left.

As an SNP member the results could have been better. In terms of a pro Indy liberal progressive parliament I'm pretty optimistic.

We could be Welsh.

Looking at the list votes for Lothian, South of Scotland and West Scotland, the SNP missed out on the final list seats by very narrow margins.  It's likely that people trying to game the system and tactical voting has cost the SNP a majority :(
of

As I said, all these second vote green types are wallopers swho hhave just seriously damaged the independence cause, kiss goodbye to a referendum in this parliament now as the greens won't support it.

How many more pro Indy voices to we need?

We have a pro Indy majority if we need to utilise that in the life of the parliament.

In the Lib Dems we also have a different set of options for cooperation which means we are not beholden to the wackier green policies whilst still getting a sharp stick from the left.

As an SNP member the results could have been better. In terms of a pro Indy liberal progressive parliament I'm pretty optimistic.

We could be Welsh.

Th greens oppose an early referendum, there's nothing good about this for independence at all its a disaster

Th greens oppose an early referendum, there's nothing good about this for independence at all its a disaster

Tbh not sure an early referendum is the best route to indy. The labour Yoons have made their last throw of the dice by voting tory. Ruth n her pals will now be exposed to the scrutiny of defending tory policies rather than embarking on photo ops. Giving them some rope for a while may finally hang the no campaign. I'd rather wait a bit longer for the referendum in order to ensure the required swing

Archived