Election Night

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ruth Davidson did not win the Tories second place. Unionism did that. They need the referendum issue more than the SNP. You'll begin to see that when we discuss any policy issue that is not the referendum.

Unionism certainly played a big part, but I also think many were impressed with Ruth during the referendum debates whilst Labour and the Lib Dems were disappointing. 

Not sure I agree the Tories need the referendum issue more the SNP. One would have to believe they'd lose a lot of votes if they gave up on the idea.

Which delighted me and seemingly most of the electorate. Very principled move by McAskill who was by no means a perfect Justice Minister.

I suspect there was a lot of quid pro quo going on behind the scenes with Scotland agreeing to take the flack for honouring Blair's promises to Gaddafi.

I suspect there was a lot of quid pro quo going on behind the scenes with Scotland agreeing to take the flack for honouring Blair's promises to Gaddafi.

I don't. I can think of very few cases at all where a minister has been so thoroughly grilled on a difficult decision and been able to clearly and articulately put forward his case. If he were hiding his real reasons then people would have noticed.

That suits the SNP. A couple years ago they had 5 MPs, now Labour and Lib Dems are openly talking about colluding with Tories to limiting them getting 30-40 MPs. That's remarkable.

Ruth Davidson did not win the Tories second place. Unionism did that. They need the referendum issue more than the SNP. You'll begin to see that when we discuss any policy issue that is not the referendum.

Lib Dems are celebrating finishing fifth behind the Greens. The Greens, who did better, have been ignored. The Lib Dems could only rely on a Better Together tactical vote. All their Yes voting voters have left for good, they ain't coming back. Their MSPs - to a man - are roasters, who will now vote with Tories so they are not labelled weak on the Union. Nicol Stephen actually called for an electoral pact with the Tories. That's how Tory they are now.

It is surely a matter of how long the UK Labour Party tolerates a Scottish branch that is splitting the centre-left, anti-Tory vote over a Unionist position that isn't important to their rank and file in England and Wales.

Not so sure about the Tories needing it more!? Sturgeon has to keep the referendum question alive to appease the restless and impatient amongst her support. They don't want to hear talk of waiting another 5-10 years, even if privately she thinks that's sensible. The SNP have to maintain momentum, Davidson will jump on that and perhaps secure even more followers who won't be railroaded into a 2nd divisive and damaging vote so soon after the last one.

It's all going to be very interesting to see how this pans out once the Euro Ref is out of the way.

Not so sure about the Tories needing it more!? Sturgeon has to keep the referendum question alive to appease the restless and impatient amongst her support. They don't want to hear talk of waiting another 5-10 years, even if privately she thinks that's sensible. The SNP have to maintain momentum, Davidson will jump on that and perhaps secure even more followers who won't be railroaded into a 2nd divisive and damaging vote so soon after the last one.

It's all going to be very interesting to see how this pans out once the Euro Ref is out of the way.

What was "damaging" about Scotland daring to question whether or not to be a normal independent country or remain a region of another state?

What was "damaging" about Scotland daring to question whether or not to be a normal independent country or remain a region of another state?

Perhaps not damaging to you of course!

Aw, how did the big bad referendum on Scotland's statehood (requested by the people and won by your side - the opponents) damage you, honey?

I was really worried for months on end!? 😧

Which delighted me and seemingly most of the electorate. Very principled move by McAskill who was by no means a perfect Justice Minister.

Noooooo..... Opinion polls showed at the time it was a VERY unpopular decision. He was very lucky that it was several years shy of the next election.

Kenny "Wrong thing for the right reasons" MacAskill.

Not so sure about the Tories needing it more!? Sturgeon has to keep the referendum question alive to appease the restless and impatient amongst her support.

The restless and impatient amongst her support consists of weirdos like fuzzy affro. Most people don't want another one until we are going to win

The heads gone contingent are pointless worrying about. They'd happily see Scotland declare UDI so they'll still vote Aye whenever it comes time to vote. The SNP focusing on building consensus and working with other parties will further prove their competence at government and hopefully by the time of the vote Labour will be neutral at least on independence. Then it's a straight fight between Tory unionism and progressive Scottish nationalism.

The heads gone contingent are pointless worrying about. They'd happily see Scotland declare UDI so they'll still vote Aye whenever it comes time to vote. The SNP focusing on building consensus and working with other parties will further prove their competence at government and hopefully by the time of the vote Labour will be neutral at least on independence. Then it's a straight fight between Tory unionism and progressive Scottish nationalism.

You can tell someone supports something when they put the word 'progressive' before it.

Interesting that you think its Nicola that has to keep the indy ref question going.Ill take odds that Ruthie will mention it more because thats her total playbook ;)

Fmqs will be an absolute hoot if she mentions anything about education/health,Nicola will bater her on it

Interesting that you think its Nicola that has to keep the indy ref question going.Ill take odds that Ruthie will mention it more because thats her total playbook ;)

How many seats do you think the SNP would lose if they dropped any plans for an indy referendum?.........

The answer is.... a lot. But just for a laugh why don't you give us your opinion on the matter?........

How many seats do you think the SNP would lose if they dropped any plans for an indy referendum?.........

The answer is.... a lot. But just for a laugh why don't you give us your opinion on the matter?........

My opinion is that you're still an idiot.

The answer is.... a lot.

Ffs that's horrendous even for you.

Archived