Berwick Rangers 2016/17

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye, we should definitely be spending our budget on hotels, travel, a new flag, food and more for trialists that we're have no intention of ever signing. Definitely.

Probably shouldn't have wasted the budget on all that for anyone to be fair. One game would've done.

Probably shouldn't have wasted thpe budget on all that for anyone to be fair. One game would've done.

Overnight accommodation largely sponsored by local businesses.

And Sheerin didn't score - it was new signing Steve Thomson.

Seriously unimpressed today to be honest. I thought we'd be sharper to the ball than Consett.

We played the better football though.

Sheerin and Thomson were decent, and Jonny Fairbairn was comfortably better than everyone else on the pitch.

We played the better football though.

Sheerin and Thomson were decent, and Jonny Fairbairn was comfortably better than everyone else on the pitch.

Thomson looks a real find, his touch and movement was terrific and his solo goal, during which deceived defenders, the keeper and the crowd was brilliant.

Jonny was tip-top right enough and I thought Brian Martin was solid. Sheerin looked the handful we all knew he would be; hope he scores today; he made a few chances for himself through his strength and movement, just mid-timed his shots.

Overall, I like that pre-season insn't sprinting and boaking, and is lot's of games to gel the team, get fit playing and embed keeping the ball moving.

Well done both sets of players managing to play in keystone cops conditions of high winds and rain; praise be for the stand at Consett.

As was said before, we have squad of good players who can pass and move. Add that to guys like Sheerin and Thomson who can score, I see green shoots.

Worrying that we have disposed of a fine servant who was working for free of late. Who will replace Katy Katy behind the bar? A smile, good chat and a pair of breasts to die for yet we bin her? It's an odd one but no doubt the new head man is stamping his authority. She was relieved of her duties by letter mind Eyre couldn't even man up and tell the girl face to face! Christ even Wilson did so albeit it in a car park.

Went down to the Consett game on Saturday. Disappointing to lose given we should have been 4-0 up after 20 minutes. The gale that blew up in the 2nd half worked in Consett's favour, but we should still have won comfortably and still missed an open goal with the last kick of the match. It was a niggly affair with a lot of off the ball stuff going on, but I was impressed with Sheerin, who looks a real handful and does a lot more work off the ball than Henderson ever did. He was a wee bit isolated at times, but friendlies are all about getting the team to gel and trying things out. Steven Thompson also impressed - clever player with plenty of skill. Could make a real impact. The big challenge will be where to play him - looks like a deep-lying number 10. It was interesting that McKenna took up more of a playmaking role from midfield. Kevin McKinlay looked competent too; not much pace but he looked like he knows what he's doing. Local lad Kieran Ingram also looked decent. Calm head and always composed on the ball. Hamilton (groin), Notman (stag do) & Wilson (holiday) were all absent on Saturday, but their return will strengthen the squad. Overall, despite the result against a team that would finish bottom of Division Three, I didn't see anything to suggest that we won't be well-organised and hard to beat. Wee bit worried about our lack of pace, but I think we'll be a tough, well-organised unit. Time will tell.

I didn't go to Ryton on Sunday but heard that Sean Mackie from Hibs was outstanding.

Re the manager's complaints about money being tight - what's the latest on a new main shirt sponsor?

We appointed a new director recently with specific responsibility for improving the club's commercial business. How's that

working out so far?

Any reason why there's been no formal announcement about the loan signings of Sean Mackie and Ben Stirling from Hibs? Both

played v Ryton on Sunday.

You've spoiled it for everyone. Shame on you.

Google tells me they're a left back and centre back is that right?

Mackie is the left back we signed in January from Raith. Hearts also wanted him. Looking At a few u20 match reports he seems to be good going forward as he got a few assists last season. Is there a link between Hibs and Berwick Rangers? We seem to loan quite a few players to you and they seem to make a breakthrough at Hibs not long after the loan spell?

Any idea who the trialists were tonight? See one was with our 20's last season can't find anything on the other two.

Also, has the lad Ingram signed?

Kenny fisher of Tranent came off the bench for Berwick last night. You also had our physio tonight. Both just helping out as you are struggling numbers wise I believe.

Good performance last night so early in pre-season. Would still like to see a starting keeper and another striker come in though. The Hibs loans should hopefully add quality to other positions.

Brutal opening 15 minutes. Actually, brutal opening 15 seconds. I think that's the quickest goal I've ever seen at Shielfield. After we settled though, we played pretty well, with the back 3 outstanding again. McKenna was excellent in the opening 45 when the match had some real ebb & flow about it, and took his goal well. He should be a big player for us in the new campaign. Also thought Thompson looked the part. Plenty of nous, not scared to make the tackle, and always has time on the ball even when it's things are falling apart around him. Sheerin worked hard but is still too isolated. Plenty time for him and Lavery to gel though.

The second half was disrupted by too many substitutions, but Lee Hamilton did well when he came on and gave us some real physicality on the right. It'll be interesting to see if his attacking work is as good as his defence.

After their blistering start, Hibs never really got on top again, which says a lot about Coff's organisational skills. However, the introduction of so many development squad players shines a harsh light on the depth of our first team squad, which looks vulnerable to injuries and suspensions. We were lucky with injuries last season. Does'nt follow we will be again. The addition of the two Hibs loanees will help, but as Brian says above, we look a couple of players light. Good start though, and well done to Hibs for bringing down a strong team and big support. Crowd of 1304 was pretty impressive for an early Tuesday in July.

Archived