Berwick Rangers 2016/17

2 hours ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Again, this is my point. Why wait till we're deep in the shit to back him and release finances? Give him a decent budget to work with in the first place and we more than likely won't need to panic buy come January because we might actually be in a decent position for once.

You missed my points. No idea what the budget is but can't see how it could be any less. Players being paid off, our core players been put on two year deals, At the same time maybe it is lower and the money has been spent elsewhere like the managers full time wage and the Dev squad. If it is the latter, time will tell if it's been money well spent, going by the product on the park this season it would be no but that's not taking into consideration the Dev squad. 

For me the panic buys came on the back of poor recruitment in the first place which may mean the budget has been overspent? As I say I'm sure someone could pull that info from the annual figures? Afraid I'm not intelligent enough for that!! 

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone enlighten me what that Blobby bloke is going on about? Rudd could play but there's major doubts about his management. Anyway a win tomorrow lads and we are in the driving seat to stay up. Let's hope we score first eh Blobby McBlobface?

Disappointing result for sure, but not wholly unexpected considering Stirling's good form recently. On the upside, City didn't manage to win and pip us to 8th place.

Need to take three from Annan next weekend (and we should be able to, considering Clyde took them down today), or get a result at Montrose, lest we may actually be drawn into the bottom three before facing Clyde and City.

Having watched the Annan highlights, where we had 2 good chances early doors, and the penalty was dubious (looked like our defender played the ball) we were capable of taking something there. Add that to 2 good away performances, where we did take points, (albeit the home loss v Stirling was disappointing) I still think the boys should look forward to these games to prove, as I think, they are a decent unit.

It's still about building for me; yes, grass roots again, and hopefully surviving and strengthening the squad from outside and within. 20's Captain Sam Jones was motm for Penicuik yesterday, so I don't subscribe to no sign of Dev Squad players showing potential.

Seeing only the dark side and getting on everyone's back is understandable; let's leave that to when the last balls been kicked.

Right now, the team will do better with positive support; let's get behind the boys and help them succeed.

2 hours ago, A Believer said:

Having watched the Annan highlights, where we had 2 good chances early doors, and the penalty was dubious (looked like our defender played the ball) we were capable of taking something there. Add that to 2 good away performances, where we did take points, (albeit the home loss v Stirling was disappointing) I still think the boys should look forward to these games to prove, as I think, they are a decent unit.

It's still about building for me; yes, grass roots again, and hopefully surviving and strengthening the squad from outside and within. 20's Captain Sam Jones was motm for Penicuik yesterday, so I don't subscribe to no sign of Dev Squad players showing potential.

Seeing only the dark side and getting on everyone's back is understandable; let's leave that to when the last balls been kicked.

Right now, the team will do better with positive support; let's get behind the boys and help them succeed.

Shocking decision by experienced Ref. One it looked outside box and 2 Looked like Berwick player got ball

2 hours ago, A Believer said:

Deleted my Mr Angry post from last night as I was pissed. Will try to be more reasonable

First of all though, 2 things from Annan. 1. Not an excuse, but the ref yesterday was disturbingly biased.

2. Galabank - once seen as the way forward for smaller clubs - is disgusting. Makes Shielfield look like the Bernabeu.

Now then, I get that we need to back the team, but it would help if the Manager did too. From his slagging off style interviews with Eric Tait, to his gruesome body language yesterday, I suggest that any team spirit is in spite of him not because of him.

Make no mistake, we are now favourites to finish bottom and also very likely to get relegated. 

You get very close to the players at Galabank, and whilst they huffed and puffed, shoulders dropped at every cock up. Lavery was close to losing it, McKenna went into his "don't worry, I'm Pele" mode, Sculion slagged off a young keeper and all the while Coughlin and Allen stared at their pathetic charts, slumped in the back of the dugout. Coughlin took 10 minutes of flicking through said charts before getting Murrell on, took our best player off and was generally more negative than the most disgruntled fan on P&B.

I believe there is talent in the squad too, but with Cowden and Clyde on a roll, I think Coughlin should go and go now. Seems ridiculous with 3 to go, but we are spinning on the cusp of the plughole. Someone in the Boardroom should have the nous to work out if the team are hacked off with Cough and if so, get shot now and hope for a 3 game bounce. (If I am wrong and the team remains supportive of the Manager, then fair enough.)

Actually after yesterday, I'm surprised if Cough doesn't work out for himself that he is taking the club to the Lowland League.... and resign. (Again)

All fair comments and I think we also agree that disrupting the managerial team with 3 games to go, however emotionally just, would probably be content-productive. I do believe that Coff has strong backing from the players, and whether jumping or pushed, would leave a few players with even more baggage to deal with, over and above the pressure of staying up. With or against, he is a galvanising factor still.

Earlier in the season, when we went bottom, I really could see the unthinkable happen. Although still possible, I think our performance trend has been more upwards, than it was then. Coupled with having the run-in with most ability to negatively impact our rivals; it's more in our own hands, so arguably we have a small advantage there. Beat them, we're safe. Simples.

Nerves jangling just thinking about Saturday.

Meanwhile, I hope we get a good turn out on Wednesday night to see the 20's hopefully secure 2nd place in Dev League at home to Forfar.

7 hours ago, Redcar said:

Actually after yesterday, I'm surprised if Cough doesn't work out for himself that he is taking the club to the Lowland League.... and resign. (Again)

At this stage of the season five points from the last available twenty one is disastrous.

There are a number of things that influence what happens on the pitch...

1 the manager

2 his choice of coaches

3 the players he has signed

4 his tactics

5 and how he motivates the players

Many would say there are more negatives than positives in all of the above.

But do the Board seem concerned? Or are the ruling faction so engrossed in the power they have that they are oblivious to the threat of relegation? 

Beer goggles off please before the club is totally f**ked!!

I'm a fan of Cough but is it just nostalgia? I don't get this one striker system at all. Every time he tries it we get beat. Should he go now? If he was to go, his resignation should have been accepted the first time now is perhaps too late. 

I still think we have every chance. we need to get 4 points from 9 then cowden need to win every game, something I don't think they will do. The question is can we? 

Whatever happens, this season has been a disaster, the damage was done before Christmas, the January signings helped but it could be too little too late. If we do go down, I will put the blame entirely at the door of the Board  of directors. Too much self interest and playing political games. I expect them all to resign including our so called supporters club representatives. Not good enough, no credible leadership and downright ineptitude I'm afraid. 

4 hours ago, Eric's Rangers said:

At this stage of the season seven points from the last available twenty one is disastrous.

There are a number of things that influence what happens on the pitch...

1 the manager

2 his choice of coaches

3 the players he has signed

4 his tactics

5 and how he motivates the players

Many would say there are more negatives than positives in all of the above.

But do the Board seem concerned? Or are the ruling faction so engrossed in the power they have that they are oblivious to the threat of relegation? 

Beer goggles off please before the club is totally f**ked!!

Of course there is a threat of relegation, not the ideal time for wholesale changes, for League 1 time and planning or a big increase in budget is needed.

1 the manager               - proven successful record

2 his choice of coaches - Outside the club who knows how good or bad the coaches are?

- Who assesses and attends every session they deliver?

- Who knows what input they have other than matches and training?

3 the players he has signed - Recruitment budget , how does it compare to other teams and previous seasons?

- Recruitment policy, what type of player the club want, 34 year old, 26 year old, 18 year old?

- Availability of targeted players, most teams try to keep their best players and offload their poorer players.

- Geography of the club, most players in league two would not travel.

4 his tactics                            - playing surfaces, play a passing game?

- If players follow his instructions or tactics

- consistency of available players

The fans? do they not influence what happens on the pitch and the general feeling within the cub?

The Directors? do they not provide the size of budget? Or show unity and one strategic plan so that everyone is acting in the same direction?

3 hours ago, dougster said:

I'm a fan of Cough but is it just nostalgia? I don't get this one striker system at all. Every time he tries it we get beat. Should he go now? If he was to go, his resignation should have been accepted the first time now is perhaps too late. 

I still think we have every chance. we need to get 4 points from 9 then cowden need to win every game, something I don't think they will do. The question is can we? 

Whatever happens, this season has been a disaster, the damage was done before Christmas, the January signings helped but it could be too little too late. If we do go down, I will put the blame entirely at the door of the Board  of directors. Too much self interest and playing political games. I expect them all to resign including our so called supporters club representatives. Not good enough, no credible leadership and downright ineptitude I'm afraid. 

And of course theres nothing remotely political about your 'so call supporters club' jibe Doug.

11 minutes ago, BerwickMad said:

And of course theres nothing remotely political about your 'so call supporters club' jibe Doug.

If the cap fits. Sorry I'll edit that Brian. What I mean is, if, and its still an if at the moment, we get relegated, then damm right the supporters club directors should resign along with ALL  the others and if that includes someone close to you so be it. Apologies I've no axe to grind with you 

10 hours ago, dougster said:

If the cap fits. Sorry I'll edit that Brian. What I mean is, if, and its still an if at the moment, we get relegated, then damm right the supporters club directors should resign along with ALL  the others and if that includes someone close to you so be it. Apologies I've no axe to grind with you 

It makes no difference to me whether a director is close to me or not. Berwick Rangers doing well should always come first. I'm not someone who follows and will always say what I think. I've no problem with your suggestion that all directors should resign should the worst come to the worst (although you do need people to replace them) as you're entitled to that opinion, more with your insinuation that people or the supporters club, aren't doing what they think is best for the club. 

Whatever happens in the rest of the season, there needs to be a proper assessment as to why this season has gone this way. That won't happen if people flock behind their side of the suppose boardroom divide and just point fingers. Thats for the end of the season though.

I don't insinuate at all, I will say openly that self interest is prevalent in the boardroom hence the 'divide' as you call it.  Anyway let's hope we are just sabre rattling and a good performance with  3 points on Saturday will give us a whole new perspective 

2 hours ago, dougster said:

I don't insinuate at all, I will say openly that self interest is prevalent in the boardroom hence the 'divide' as you call it.  Anyway let's hope we are just sabre rattling and a good performance with  3 points on Saturday will give us a whole new perspective 

Fair enough. Two things we agree on. One that 3 points on Saturday is by far the most important issue at the moment, and two, self interest is certainly prevalent in the boardroom.

However where we probably disagree, and I will disagree with what the Supporters Club did at the AGM on this point, is I would have voted to get rid of that ego-driven self interest when the opportunity arose. I would have voted for the 5th choice candidate from voting at the pre-AGM Supporters Club meeting. It was nearly impossible to pick between 3, 4 and 5 for me after 2 obvious choices. Thats nothing against the man who I quite like as a person, however Berwick Rangers first.

Just to add, I'm in no way ignoring the faults others have on the board, including those close to me. And I'm sure those who attend Supporters Club meetings will testify for that. 

I find it funny when people demand the board resign as though there is a never-ending queue of people with the resources, whether financial, knowledge, or otherwise, to step into their boots and take us to new places. This year is the first in my time supporting them that we've ever actually had the chance to pick and choose in relation to elections/re-elections. It was a positive development, but there is no real evidence to suggest that this will be the same every year and as far as I can tell, even the one who most agreed was a 'no brainer' has yet to have much of an impact.

So for very much similar reasons, to also suggest that a supporters organisation committee should resign is a proposition I have to say I find laughable, and that is without looking at in more black and white terms - you're essentially holding a fundraising event organiser, or a gate staff member or assistant groundsman responsible for us falling out of the SPFL. Ignoring that you're oddly adamant in your belief that everyone should resign if we go down, but if we stay up everyone can stay, imagine the unimaginable does happen for a moment. We go down and everyone resigns en-masse. Who picks up the pieces? You've just got rid of any party who is capable of doing so. And would that leave us in a healthier position, or even give us the platform to move on to be in one?

There is an undeinable and entirely poisionous split at board level. It appears to have had an increasingly negative effect on what happens on the park in recent years, and we're now in danger of paying the ultimate price. It's for that reason that I entirely agree with Brian - were it my sole choice, the candidate who picked up the 5th-most votes would be on the board. That isn't a declaration that the rest of the board are perfect either, by the way.

Archived