Berwick Rangers 2016/17

From an outsider looking in point of view, I would wholeheartedly agree with this. Listen, I have made it clear on here in the past that I would hate John Coughlin to be Stirling manager, so I'm not going to go over old ground on that one....but one thing Coughlin would normally give you is a team that's hard to beat and by and large you would expect his sides to defend themselves in and around the Play Offs slots and I kind of thought that's were Berwick would have ended up this season.
I then watched with interest when he signed Kevin McKinlay, a player who was very much finished when he signed for us and probably would have disappeared from senior football had his mate, Martyn Corrigan, not been Assistant Manager at Stirling and influential in pretty much every transfer that McLaren made during that time. In fact Kevin McKinlay spent most of his last season with us injured, but getting bigger and bigger during this time (muscles not fat) which resulted in him becoming slower.  Then Lee Hamilton quickly followed. Again, that was a strange one. Sure, Stirling fans held him dearly, one of our own, from the area who had come through the youth setup, but hadn't played well enough to cement a regular starting slot in a very poor side.
Nothing against these players really, and who knows, they may have actually had a good season for you in the end, but if you times that by the amount of players that were signed during this time then it was always going to be a tough season for you.

Your sentiments probably aren't wrong but Hamilton is one of few I think had a half decent season. McKinlay hasn't been bad but has been missing through injury a few times and probably isn't the quality required as a regular to be up at the right end of the table. Oddly i think he's on a 2 year deal which if correct was a big risk. Id have no real feeling if he were to leave or stay.

One thing I'll watch on with interest on over the summer are our U20s. Bauld has won PotY awards I'm sure and several others seem to have impressed at lower levels. Is it time to keep the kids about and put some faith in them? Is it too risky to (once again) rely on kids for depth?

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

From an outsider looking in point of view, I would wholeheartedly agree with this. Listen, I have made it clear on here in the past that I would hate John Coughlin to be Stirling manager, so I'm not going to go over old ground on that one....but one thing Coughlin would normally give you is a team that's hard to beat and by and large you would expect his sides to defend themselves in and around the Play Offs slots and I kind of thought that's were Berwick would have ended up this season.

I then watched with interest when he signed Kevin McKinlay, a player who was very much finished when he signed for us and probably would have disappeared from senior football had his mate, Martyn Corrigan, not been Assistant Manager at Stirling and influential in pretty much every transfer that McLaren made during that time. In fact Kevin McKinlay spent most of his last season with us injured, but getting bigger and bigger during this time (muscles not fat) which resulted in him becoming slower.  Then Lee Hamilton quickly followed. Again, that was a strange one. Sure, Stirling fans held him dearly, one of our own, from the area who had come through the youth setup, but hadn't played well enough to cement a regular starting slot in a very poor side.

Nothing against these players really, and who knows, they may have actually had a good season for you in the end, but if you times that by the amount of players that were signed during this time then it was always going to be a tough season for you.

Mckinlay and Hamilton were nowhere near as good as the players they replaced. (Crane and McNeil, who JC had no chance of keeping)

Question is, is that a funding issue, a judgement error by Coughlin, or were they exposed by not having a decent Centre-back pairing or dominant keeper?

Both had some good games, especially Hamilton, but plenty of crap ones too. Maybe neither will be retained. (Unless there is a 2-year contract involved). 

Personally, I'd be happy to hang on to Hamilton, but lose Mckinlay (that at least might cut down the penalties and red cards)

Mckinlay and Hamilton were nowhere near as good as the players they replaced. (Crane and McNeil, who JC had no chance of keeping)
Question is, is that a funding issue, a judgement error by Coughlin, or were they exposed by not having a decent Centre-back pairing or dominant keeper?
Both had some good games, especially Hamilton, but plenty of crap ones too. Maybe neither will be retained. (Unless there is a 2-year contract involved). 
Personally, I'd be happy to hang on to Hamilton, but lose Mckinlay (that at least might cut down the penalties and red cards)

I'd say the same. Crane and McGregor were exceptional to be fair, so expecting to replace them with players of their level would be nearly impossible. Crane is/was on the fringes of the Hibs team and McGregors partnership with Fairbairn saw numerous clean sheets in a towards the end of that season when Walker also had some confidence.

On the Coff thing,he turned us into Stirling right enough...East Stirling! For me, he is not the man. Dreadful tactics,poor discipline early in the season, bad signings, arms crossed while the ship burns. The usual end of season upsurge in fortunes and everyone breathes a sigh of relief. Not for me. The chair needs a few PR lessons as well, embarrassing. Justifying a full time senior management post with a job fixing the roof!!

No wonder there is strife.

Hate the light blue btw.

White shirt/black shorts and socks maybe a gold trim. We used to wear a similar get up many years ago.

Always believe in your soul

• 2 weeks later...

Archived