Albion Rovers FC: Season 2016 - 2017

Sad to see Davie Provan passed away yesterday. I was only a year old when he led Rovers to the title but I gather from speaking to older fans that it was a golden time in our history.

Thoughts with his family

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An important 3 games ahead to round off the calendar year for Rovers.

Away to Queens Park
Away to Stenny
Home to East Fife on Christmas Eve

Three winnable games if approached in the right manner, however I'd be happy 7 points over those games. It would leave us sitting with 28 points at the middle point of the season, more than half of last years total of 49.

Speculation I know but I think Darren will be thinking along the same lines.

Of course the weather could well ruin things still [emoji849]

• 2 weeks later...

The unforgettable Vic Kasule will be doing a walk for charity from Clifftonhill on Scottish Cup day. I would be grateful if you could take time to read the attached link. Thanks.

https://www.justgiving.com/campaigns/charity/pcst/vickasule?utm_campaign=20161213_93602&utm_medium=email&utm_source=ExactTarget

"Albion Rovers are pleased to announce the appointment of David Caldwell as Director of Football at the club. As well as an 18 year career as a professional footballer, mainly in England, David has experience in the sport science side of the game. We wish David all the best in his new role." 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Caldwell_(footballer)

3 minutes ago, The Pastmaster said:

"Albion Rovers are pleased to announce the appointment of David Caldwell as Director of Football at the club. As well as an 18 year career as a professional footballer, mainly in England, David has experience in the sport science side of the game. We wish David all the best in his new role." 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Caldwell_(footballer)

Has Steve Kirk departed? With the Gilhoolys, I surmise?

There was a club AGM last night but not heard of any reports as to how it went. Yes the Giloolys have gone - some months ago although I believe Terry in still involved on ground affairs, h & s etc. No idea about SK. Current BOD for election last night - Ronnie Boyd (Chair), Eddie Hagerty, Paul Reily, Ian Benton

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

You guys must be pretty disappointed losing Steven Boyd. Been your best and most threatening player and tore us apart on Monday. Any chance of bringing someone else in or replacing him?

Good question !!

1 minute ago, david spivey said:

What do Albion Rovers fans think of Ex- Albion Rovers manager Paul Martin?

Great guy. Was a good player for us - and others - in the nineties and was a leader on the park. No surprise when he entered management and although had a few false starts, succeeded at Cliftonhill. Got us promoted via the play-offs and kept us up, again winning the play-offs. Articulate, decent chap. Why do you ask?

1 minute ago, david spivey said:

1 minute ago, Bold Rover said:

Great guy. Was a good player for us - and others - in the nineties and was a leader on the park. No surprise when he entered management and although had a few false starts, succeeded at Cliftonhill. Got us promoted via the play-offs and kept us up, again winning the play-offs. Articulate, decent chap. Why do you ask?

Yup, as close to a legend as you can get at Rovers, and easily the most open manager we've had; talking to the guy was an absolute education.

I'd also be interested in why the OP is asking. Certainly, Paul Martin would be an upgrade on Barry Ferguson in numerous ways.

Jesus Christ reincarnated

some say he invented football. Some say he created just the crossbar. Personally I think he loved getting one over Dumbarton and Queens Park.

The statement club legend doesn't do him any justice. On top of that he's really just a really nice guy.

Heard through someone reliable that he was offered the queens park job before gus mcpherson and knocked it back.

Echo what the lads have said above.

He was captain when I first started going to games with my dad. A warrior on the park but a gent off it, I remember going up and asking him for his autograph when I was only wee and he chatted to me for a bit.

And of course went down in Rovers folklore when he navigated us through a tricky playoff double header against Queens Park and Annan

Paul Martin is the best manager Rovers had IMO.

Got the club promoted on the lowest budget in the league- produced and built a team of quality and character. To boot he kept the club up the following season with the last kick of the ball. The first post war Rovers team to go up and stay up. Got involved in numerous dust ups with match officials and coaches from opposing clubs- always had plenty of time for the fans. What's not to like.

12 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

Paul Martin is the best manager Rovers had IMO.

Got the club promoted on the lowest budget in the league- produced and built a team of quality and character. To boot he kept the club up the following season with the last kick of the ball. The first post war Rovers team to go up and stay up. Got involved in numerous dust ups with match officials and coaches from opposing clubs- always had plenty of time for the fans. What's not to like.

Including axing his protege, the talented R.Barr, when he got too big for his boots.

Archived