Jump to content

Funeral shenanigans


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Anybody have to carry a coffin? I had to carry the mother in law's about 20 year back (not on my own mind). She was a dainty women but it still weighed  fucking tonne.  

#ripbabs

Carried a coffin once.  Also been a rope bearer or whatever it’s called a couple of times to lower coffins into the grave.  Preferred carrying the coffin tbh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Left Back said:

That was it.  Not pleasant.

I was honoured to do this for my sister, English undertakers had no idea what we were on about and we were gifted cords and cards by a Kirkcaldy undertaker.

 

ETA. not my photo.

See the source image

Edited by Zen Archer (Raconteur)
image
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I was honoured to do this for my sister, English undertakers had no idea what we were on about and we were gifted cords and cards by a Kirkcaldy undertaker.

 

ETA. not my photo.

See the source image

Don’t get me wrong.  Was honoured to do it.  Just found the act of lowering someone into their grave quite an upsetting experience on top of grieving anyway.

Never got a card.  The undertaker called us up one by one at the graveside and pointed us to the cord we’d been allocated.

ETA (and emotional as this has come to me) I guess the reason I found carrying a coffin into the crem easier is that wasn’t the final act.  Lowering a coffin was.

Sorry if thats not the point of this thread.

Edited by Left Back
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

 

 

8 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I was honoured to do this for my sister, English undertakers had no idea what we were on about and we were gifted cords and cards by a Kirkcaldy undertaker.

 

ETA. not my photo.

See the source image

The tried and tested 1-4-2-1 formation, solid!

Edited by Sergeant Wilson
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was a rope bearer at an uncle's funeral a couple of years ago; didn't trust myself not to f**k it up somehow, but it went fine. First and, so far, only funeral I've ever attended.

I'd never met the man, so it wasn't a distressing experience for me, but I got a lot of advice and help from the auld yins during the day, and that was the depressing part; they'd all had so many similar days that they were old hands at sending off friends and family. One of the cruellest aspects of life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had to go to a funeral during the first lockdown. Number limited to 10 people only and no meal afterwards. Drove to Glasgow for it and suggested to my girlfriend we go get something to eat from Tesco on the way home.

Was a rather surreal feeling sitting in Tesco car park at silverburn eating a meal deal following a funeral.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I had to go to a funeral during the first lockdown. Number limited to 10 people only and no meal afterwards. Drove to Glasgow for it and suggested to my girlfriend we go get something to eat from Tesco on the way home.

Was a rather surreal feeling sitting in Tesco car park at silverburn eating a meal deal following a funeral.

Not even a sausage roll and a Blue Riband to take away?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Anybody have to carry a coffin? I had to carry the mother in law's about 20 year back (not on my own mind). She was a dainty women but it still weighed  fucking tonne.  

#ripbabs

Done it a few times. Heavier than you expect, every time.

First time I done it was for the funeral of an exes great grandmother. Never met the woman and barely knew any of the family. Seems someone fucked up in organising it and they hadn't bothered asking anyone to do it. I was nominated on account of being there at exactly the point they realised they had fucked up. More than a little awkward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I had to go to a funeral during the first lockdown. Number limited to 10 people only and no meal afterwards. Drove to Glasgow for it and suggested to my girlfriend we go get something to eat from Tesco on the way home.

Was a rather surreal feeling sitting in Tesco car park at silverburn eating a meal deal following a funeral.

I had the same although there was 20 allowed at the funeral and I didn't go to Tesco on the way home. Sat back in my house after a 20 minute funeral at the grave side just staring at the wall, sipping a whisky by myself and trying to understand what's just happened. I'm not sure I'm over his death even now tbh. 

I get why people don't want a big send off when they die, I hate folk spending money on me when I'm alive so it would annoy me to know they were spending big in the event of my demise, but I do think funerals are an important step for people grieving. Having that day with everyone who knew the deceased and sharing stories about their life can really help. I've certainly struggled for this past year to accept and acknowledge what had happened and it's only since lockdown lifted and I was able to go and meet my other friends and talk about things that I slowly started to feel better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You don't have pallbearers here, just anyone who wants can help lifts the coffin on to the hearse, then to the temple front stage, then again onto a wooden hearse thingy, that you push round the crematorium building at the temple.

I was at a Dutch guys funeral, and not many people were there, so I help with the moving the coffin from the stage to the wooden hearse, the arse fell out the coffin and he landed on the floor.  We then had to lift him off the the floor and put him on the hearse, then just stuck the coffin on top of him with no bottom to it.

After, walking round the crem part 3 times, the next job was to carry him up a flight of stairs to lay him on the oven part then again put the coffin on top of him.

It was fucking mental and freaked a old guy out.  He was shouting like f**k that this is disgrace.  Sure, it was but what the f**k can you do, just leave him on the floor.  

The hearse

thai-traditional-coffin-carriage-cremati

The Stairs

cremation-places-picture-id462092493?k=2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

You don't have pallbearers here, just anyone who wants can help lifts the coffin on to the hearse, then to the temple front stage, then again onto a wooden hearse thingy, that you push round the crematorium building at the temple.

I was at a Dutch guys funeral, and not many people were there, so I help with the moving the coffin from the stage to the wooden hearse, the arse fell out the coffin and he landed on the floor.  We then had to lift him off the the floor and put him on the hearse, then just stuck the coffin on top of him with no bottom to it.

After, walking round the crem part 3 times, the next job was to carry him up a flight of stairs to lay him on the oven part then again put the coffin on top of him.

It was fucking mental and freaked a old guy out.  He was shouting like f**k that this is disgrace.  Sure, it was but what the f**k can you do, just leave him on the floor.  

The hearse

thai-traditional-coffin-carriage-cremati

The Stairs

cremation-places-picture-id462092493?k=2

^^^

p096hf5b.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Anybody have to carry a coffin? I had to carry the mother in law's about 20 year back (not on my own mind). She was a dainty women but it still weighed  fucking tonne.  

#ripbabs

Many's the time.

Funerals are a big deal over here, and everybody gets a shottie at a "lift".

Edited by Jacksgranda
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watched a thing about how they were doing some construction in London which involved them surveying an old buried cemetry and they came across the crypt of the christie family from the auctions.

All the coffins were bobbing around in waist deep putrid water.  Think ill get cremated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...