Funeral shenanigans

Sorry, I should have said, we did get fed, and it was quite a good spread. 

My bone of contention was that the whole gig kicked off before 12 noon, and it was gone 6 before we got our noses in the trough

Something similar to my own experience - I thought I would be back at my work about half two, or three at the latest, particularly as the church was just round the corner.

Turned up late for a funeral.

Walking into a packed church when the minister is talking and everyone turns to stare was quite an experience.

I'd gave up looking for a parking space and basically abandoned my car so spent the time in the church worried about the car getting towed

Re: professional mourners - when my gran died, my mum arranged for a cremation, and it was only going to be the two of us at the wee bullshit slidey-curtain ceremony that they put on. I spent the whole thing wondering who the gaggle of old ladies behind us were, and why they were all shooting us daggers when we left the wee chapel. My mum explained about folk who like to turn up at funerals and suchlike, and that they'd all been pissed off when they discovered there wasn't going to be any kind of food laid on afterwards   :blink:

I wasn't kidding about professional mourners.

They buy the local paper and scour for folk they vaguely know.

Or tag along with someone else going to a funeral for a free scran

they've always got a knife and fork in their top pocket just in case.

For the Falkirk lads on here if you ever get a wake at the Claddhan the scones are outrageously good.

They usually come out a wee bit later than the rest of the grub because they're baked fresh and not lying around all day.

I may need to murder someone just in the hope the wake is in there

I don't retire for a few years yet but I have been thinking about possible pastimes for when I do.

Thanks Gaz.

My daughter used to work as a care assistant. She used to go to so many funerals that we bought her a black "death" hat that she could wear to them all.

My best mate was literally late for his own funeral.

An oil tanker had crashed on the road out to the cremmy at Clydebank.

#minter

...yet fitting :lol:

Re: professional mourners - when my gran died, my mum arranged for a cremation, and it was only going to be the two of us at the wee bullshit slidey-curtain ceremony that they put on. I spent the whole thing wondering who the gaggle of old ladies behind us were, and why they were all shooting us daggers when we left the wee chapel. My mum explained about folk who like to turn up at funerals and suchlike, and that they'd all been pissed off when they discovered there wasn't going to be any kind of food laid on afterwards :blink:

Aye, going to all that trouble with the rollers, make up and dry cleaning to come. When there isn't a big turnout there'll be the disappointment that there will be no spread, and by that time they're stuck with seeing service through. Throwing daggers will be a defence mechanism they have honed to avoid the uncomfortable "so how did you know Aunt Bessie".