Funeral shenanigans

3 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

His name is Nook.

3 prayers.  3 nights of monk chanting at the (deceased) house. A bit like a rosary.

I bet the monks charge an arm and a leg if they're anything like anyone to do with a funeral over here.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I bet the monks charge an arm and a leg if they're anything like anyone to do with a funeral over here.

You want a racket, look at the Japanese practice of getting a priest, every year, to pray for the deceased on their birthday at the family shrine!

On 10/11/2022 at 16:11, scottsdad said:

When I die, I want my ashes spread all over the Dellai twins.

Achieve in death what you couldn't in life.

On the plus side, they're definitely the kind of ladies who'd be down for that if you left them enough money in your will.

I've been involved in a bit of funeral shenanigans lately. Definitely encouraged me to get a low-cost cremation sorted out soon so there's no fannying about once I'm gone. Frankly, once winter kicks in I might volunteer to get it done early if it looks cheaper than a few months of central heating.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

On the plus side, they're definitely the kind of ladies who'd be down for that if you left them enough money in your will.

I've been involved in a bit of funeral shenanigans lately. Definitely encouraged me to get a low-cost cremation sorted out soon so there's no fannying about once I'm gone. Frankly, once winter kicks in I might volunteer to get it done early if it looks cheaper than a few months of central heating.

Can we stick you in a wickerman so we all get a heat?

• 4 months later...

My dad's funeral was at the end of last week. It was a really nice humanist send-off. Music he liked (Scottish country dancing stuff), and the celebrant was a guy he knew and used to work with. The funeral director was a mate of mine at school, and knew my dad since he was a toddler. He really went the extra mile with everything. We expected about 150 to turn up, and almost 240 did in the end. 

I left mid-afternoon once we had had the tea. The kids sat well through it all, their first funeral ever. 

Sorry, nothing for the "shenanigans" part of the thread but just to say, when it is done well, it makes a huge difference. Sod all that "Cremate your loved one for a grand" pish, or having the Co-op anywhere near a funeral. 

On 10/11/2022 at 18:36, Stellaboz said:

f**k family though. There's been plenty of funerals over the years and the words "stay in touch " always gets mentioned but never followed through on anyone else's part. You choose your own family the way I see it now, the c***s who are there for you when it matters and you'd be there for them, related or not.

I've posted this before but you're spot on. I love my mother and brothers. One is a roaring success in his field and only ever messages at Christmas or birthdays. I make very little effort with his children because I don't know them and they live half way across Europe so I think he makes little effort with me. My other brother has Asperger's and is very set in his ways but we get on fine, he's just not an easy person to get along with. My mother is old school "far from your arse, you can still sit". I left a relationship over 10 years ago because my mother told me she would never accept me being with that girl. That still grates.

I have three or four mates I could go years without talking to and instantly start up exactly where we left off. I tell them I love them dearly every chance I get.

The rest are associates. We sit and bevvy and bleesh together but when the going get tough, they're never there.

I've recently decided I'm doing shit I want to do, being the person I want to be. 

Edited by Derry Alli

On 17/11/2022 at 23:33, tamthebam said:

Can we stick you in a wickerman so we all get a heat?

On 18/11/2022 at 06:48, BTFD said:

Absolutely. Plenty of fat, so I should burn for quite a while!

I'll bring the marshmallows for toasting

On 08/11/2022 at 14:15, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Apparently it varies hugely by state. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_cremation_rate#United_States

Cremation being most popular in Nevada is strange because they've got huge tracts of desert there to put people in.

The mafia have first dibs...

2 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

I've posted this before but you're spot on. I love my mother and brothers. One is a roaring success in his field and only ever messages at Christmas or birthdays. I make very little effort with his children because I don't know them and they live half way across Europe so I think he makes little effort with me. My other brother has Asperger's and is very set in his ways but we get on fine, he's just not an easy person to get along with. My mother is old school "far from your arse, you can still sit". I left a relationship over 10 years ago because my mother told me she would never accept me being with that girl. That still grates.

I have three or four mates I could go years without talking to and instantly start up exactly where we left off. I tell them I love them dearly every chance I get.

The rest are associates. We sit and bevvy and bleesh together but when the going get tough, they're never there.

I've recently decided I'm doing shit I want to do, being the person I want to be. 

My siblings live quite far away. They were brilliant in my dad's final days, dropped everything and came to help. Now that the funeral is done, I doubt I'll see my sister again until some other wedding/funeral comes up. Probably be at least 2-3 years before I clap eyes on her again. My brother comes to visit every other month, so I'll see him regularly. 

At the funeral, my daughter (who hates getting hugged) complained that she was getting hugged by family members she didn't know she had. 

3 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

You will be the better for this. It’s all well and good to hear the platitudes and plaudits for doing this or that right by some standards that you may not even subscribe to, but in the end…

…it’s is you, sitting in the dark, thinking about stuff, that matters…and the stuff you end up thinking about is all to often destructive or harmful when you’ve been listening to others about how you should live, perform or act. Once you learn to trust your instincts and understanding of your beliefs and wants, you can move forward with a happier life. The catch on this is that some people shouldn’t listen to themselves, but generally they have a barrow full of people advising them that…however, you seem pretty squared away, and I’m sorry you had that experience of listening to someone important to you who didn’t have YOUR interests in mind.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride…once I realized, like you, that it has be you responsible for your own choices and not keeping someone else happy for artificial reasons, I became much happier.