Funeral shenanigans

May have been mentioned before but  Medical Science isn't always the answer.

Gran wished to be left to medical science, all arranged and sorted years before, Glasgow Uni would come and collect when she went. They came, they looked, they said no. The possible consumption of a bottle of brandy a day for years apparently made the cadaver not worth having.

Rejected as a dead body, the final turndown. So the crem it was.

1 hour ago, Raidernation said:

I really have no specific requests regarding my remains. Told my girls to do what they want, or just go as cheap as possible

That’s the spirit…and if some people complain they “needed” a service to say goodbye, they can pay for one! I suspect there’s a very high percentage of those that attend these events to “say goodbye” are the ones the deceased croaked quietly by him/herself to avoid seeing/hearing.

Nothing particularly noteworthy from either of my parent's funerals except I look back and wish I'd asked the person reading the eulogy to skip the fucking prayers and religious bits. Was too fucked in the head to care at the time but now I wish it had been done differently. 

f**k family though. There's been plenty of funerals over the years and the words "stay in touch " always gets mentioned but never followed through on anyone else's part. You choose your own family the way I see it now, the c***s who are there for you when it matters and you'd be there for them, related or not.

Edited by Stellaboz

2 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

May have been mentioned before but  Medical Science isn't always the answer.

Gran wished to be left to medical science, all arranged and sorted years before, Glasgow Uni would come and collect when she went. They came, they looked, they said no. The possible consumption of a bottle of brandy a day for years apparently made the cadaver not worth having.

Rejected as a dead body, the final turndown. So the crem it was.

Christ.  Bet they didn't need much in the way of firelighters.

Both my in laws did not want a funeral and wanted a direct cremation,we did not agree with but it was their wishes.

My father in law said was he f**k paying for people he didn't like eating food he paid for,he would rather the money saved went to his great grandkids

Edited by Andy Dufresne

On 09/11/2022 at 22:29, oaksoft said:

TBH that's the exact approach I used as well.

Nothing but nothing will bring them back and the only thing which would make the situation worse would be emptying the bank account in a futile attempt to quell feelings of guilt or to be seen to be doing the right thing by others.

Dealing with the death of a loved one is a shite state of affairs. Personally, getting through the formalities as quickly and as cheaply as possible so that you can focus on actually grieving is the best way.

That comment about picking out a coffin from a glossy brochure as though it was a holiday is spot on.

I'm trying not to be critical of others personal choices though. Each to their own TBH.

TBF, you're going to be in it for quite a while.. just saying

12 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I just Googled 'Dellai Twins'..........wasn't expecting a gynaecology tutorial, ffs.................

12 hours ago, oaksoft said:

f**k.....and I mean this respectfully....you for getting me to search for that.

I deserve some blame for ignoring the "safe search is off" warning.

I'm just glad I didn't fall into the same trip.

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

Yes...but all day your fingers will hover over the keyboard and tablet screen and a wee voice at the back of your mind will be curious. Just what can it be?

I am a man of steel.  I can resist almost anything. 

P.S. I wasn't actually being entirely honest with my original post. 

22 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I am hoping you didn't google this from your work computer...

Having previously had to google a Scottsdad reference, it was my own PC and inprivate browsing on. Also, not bad. More of a Valentina Nappi fan, but reckon she'd be hella old by that time.