Funeral shenanigans

17 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

We laid my brother to rest yesterday. We got one of the last remaining plots at the cemetery. 

My preference is also to be buried, but then I'm pretty old school regarding things like that. 

Sorry for your loss, Joe. 

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Big day yesterday. We met the funeral director and he was excellent. Didn't go with the co-op (everyone I know has some sort of horror story about them, including me). 

What was surprising was my wife's aunties and uncles coming, too. We thought it would be just us and a couple of in-laws. We went through the whole thing and at the end were told the cost. Just under £4k. I was sweating to say the least, as it looked like it would be my wife and I coming up with the bulk of this cash. 

But no. The aunties and uncles had come with a huge deposit and paid that. And they were getting more. They recognised that their sister had left us all in a bad way dealing with this and rallied round. The amount we have to pay is now quite small, and we're able to put on a tea afterwards which we were not going to be able to do. 

When they said this my wife burst in to tears. All a bit overwhelming. Gratitude was a huge part, of course, these aunties and uncles she hadn't seen in a long time supporting them like this. Relief (she hadn't been sleeping with worry about the money). Now she can grieve.

Everyone is chipping in something. 

Everyone except my brother-in-law. He of the tearful Facebook post. 

We'd booked Father Maguire to do the funeral too

dougal.thumb.jpg.977c0cfdadc5dd713d3a8d161119172e.jpg

Even better if your MIL wasn't RC! 

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Big day yesterday. We met the funeral director and he was excellent. Didn't go with the co-op (everyone I know has some sort of horror story about them, including me). 

What was surprising was my wife's aunties and uncles coming, too. We thought it would be just us and a couple of in-laws. We went through the whole thing and at the end were told the cost. Just under £4k. I was sweating to say the least, as it looked like it would be my wife and I coming up with the bulk of this cash. 

But no. The aunties and uncles had come with a huge deposit and paid that. And they were getting more. They recognised that their sister had left us all in a bad way dealing with this and rallied round. The amount we have to pay is now quite small, and we're able to put on a tea afterwards which we were not going to be able to do. 

When they said this my wife burst in to tears. All a bit overwhelming. Gratitude was a huge part, of course, these aunties and uncles she hadn't seen in a long time supporting them like this. Relief (she hadn't been sleeping with worry about the money). Now she can grieve.

Everyone is chipping in something. 

Everyone except my brother-in-law. He of the tearful Facebook post. 

Always makes my day to read a post like this. Kind of renews a little bit of faith in human nature.

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

£4k?

I actually feel sick just thinking about paying that sort of money on a funeral.

At least everyone chipped in though.

Was about £5.5k for my old mans in 2017 and that was before a stone of remembrance was put down in the crematorium. Certainly a profitable business for those involved.

37 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

We'd booked Father Maguire to do the funeral too

dougal.thumb.jpg.977c0cfdadc5dd713d3a8d161119172e.jpg

Even better if your MIL wasn't RC! 

My own co-op horror story: at my uncle's funeral a few years ago, they dropped his coffin when coming down some stairs. Luckily the coffin remained intact.

My parents had a funeral plan in place with them. Soon after this, they cancelled it and went with a local funeral director (the one we're using now for my MiL).

11 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

£4k?

I actually feel sick just thinking about paying that sort of money on a funeral.

At least everyone chipped in though.

Bear in mind this is for a cremation (which is cheaper than a burial). No headstone.

Some costs are fixed, like the cremation itself. A celebrant is about £250ish. Add to that the coffin, a gown for her to wear, cars, transporting the body and so on, you can see how these costs just add up.

On 08/11/2022 at 10:57, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

In days gone by, if you got a visit from the joiner you knew your time was up.

They would always carry an umbrella, (more subtle than a foot rule) to measure you up with, (2 umbrellas and a handle) for example.

I can't read this in anything but Abe Simpson's voice.

On 08/11/2022 at 10:57, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

In days gone by, if you got a visit from the joiner you knew your time was up.

They would always carry an umbrella, (more subtle than a foot rule) to measure you up with, (2 umbrellas and a handle) for example.

Did they hang an onion from their belt, as was the fashion at the time?

E.t.a beaten to it by post above!

Edited by HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows

I know it’s each families to choose but some of these costs seem utterly pointless,  there must be an absolute fortune made on utter shite.   I remember sitting arranging my mums funeral and being expected to look through a catalogue of coffins like it was picking out a holiday.  the cheapest one thanks,  you can f**k off trying to get us to spend 4-5x more for it to do the exact same thing.  

Virtually none of the costs are going to make you feel any better and they certainly aren’t going to make a difference to the person it’s funeral it was.

Last time I saw him I asked my old man about his wishes (being a man who will be 63 next month and with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia he has given some thought to it).

He told me he wants the old cremation and absolutely does not want a headstone or any sort of thing/place where folk would go to feel sad about him. He also said he doesn't care where his ashes get scattered. 

Think he mentioned that he had some sort of financial plan for it. I hope so as I have zero savings, although my brothers do, but could lead to awkwardness that I'd struggle to contribute.

Anyway, hopefully not something to consider for a while yet, but sadly will be sooner rather than later I suspect, although 'sooner' could be 10 years for all we know.

12 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Last time I saw him I asked my old man about his wishes (being a man who will be 63 next month and with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia he has given some thought to it).

He told me he wants the old cremation and absolutely does not want a headstone or any sort of thing/place where folk would go to feel sad about him. He also said he doesn't care where his ashes get scattered. 

Think he mentioned that he had some sort of financial plan for it. I hope so as I have zero savings, although my brothers do, but could lead to awkwardness that I'd struggle to contribute.

Anyway, hopefully not something to consider for a while yet, but sadly will be sooner rather than later I suspect, although 'sooner' could be 10 years for all we know.

My dad wants his ashes scattered on the 9th hole at Golspie golf course!