Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Just look at our potential starting XI as things stand:

Ferguson

Higgins McIntosh Gorman McDonald

Stewart Faria Fitzpatrick Brown

Ryan Russell

That is not an impressive team at all.   Very inexperienced in defence,  a real lack of creativity (anything) in midfield but a decent though thin forward line.

With Loudon the only other player listed as first team,  you'd think we have four spaces.   My diamond midfield solution with Gow as the no. 10 would be an improvement on the above,  but we're still desperately thin.   A full back, a central defender and another striker would be a must.   And that's not allowing for a potential injury or suspension to Rohan which would be catastrophic

I can see us having to start the season with;

Ferguson

New RB,  New CH,  Gorman, McDonald

(Higgins, Mcintosh)

Stewart,  Faria, Fitzpatrick

(Brown) (the Irish guy)

Gow

Ryan and Russell

(Coogans, though I'm not sure he's on the radar like some suggest)

Out of the kids,  there is some potential but some of them are miles away.   Kerr, Ross, Cairns, Leslie, Truesdale, Russell, Bell, McGrory, Russell, McLaughlin, Loudon and Thomson look a while away yet,  I liked Leighton but would think he'd be likely to get not much more than some occasional seasoning this season.

On the basis of the above, I'd think we'd be looking at using the loan market more than I think we'd planned.    A goalie,  a midfielder and possibly another defender will soon be needed depending on performance.

at least 10 top end part time wages have been freed up since last season and there's no way Gorman, Ryan, Russell have used up all of that budget, so there must be funds available for 3 or 4 decent signings. The young boys will get chewed up and spat out in this league.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen Higgins, McIntosh or Louden play to be able to give an opinion on whether or not they're good enough to step up but there are clearly far too many young apprentices signed up. I assume the 9 apprentices will be waged? Wasting a wage on 9 players who aren't yet good enough to play regular first team football and as a result will hardly feature is a disaster. Obviously, their wages won't be that high but their combined wage of could be and should be used on experienced quality players. (That's not to mention Faria, Fitzpatrick and Brown who are also wasting a wage). They'll effectively just be U20s players which means they could have just been kept on U20s contracts in the first place and played the same amount of first team football (none) at no additional cost to the first team.

Based on the what I know of other (albeit non-football) modern apprenticeships, there is usually government or local authority grant money available to cover their wages in part or full.  Possibly the same scenario here.

TW said that the plan was to have 8 apprentices and I believe we have 9 which means we're not far out. I agree with stuartcraig. I'm sure we get reimbursed for a large part of their wages.

In general terms, I can't believe we don't have enough money left to sign a few players and I also can't believe the Club are daft enough not to know that we need to. It's just the waiting and lack of any communication which is annoying.

They cant announce signings till they're completed though. Imagine the uproar if they announce we're signing Gow but we end up with Sumsky and we all bought season books on that promise?

Tbh if your buying your season ticket based on the signing of Gow then your not really asking for much (Fairly sure that classes as a bite but not sure if you were fishing or being serious)

See Jordan Moore is looking for a move back to Scotland, someone who could maybe do a job for us?

Looking at teams in our league and the players they've added to there squads Airdrie havnt a hope of winning the league next season Alloa are miles ahead of us already with the quality they had from last season and the players they've recruited during the close season.

Looking at teams in our league and the players they've added to there squads Airdrie havnt a hope of winning the league next season Alloa are miles ahead of us already with the quality they had from last season and the players they've recruited during the close season.

I'd agree with this.

Alloa have went about their business swiftly, and on paper have assembled a cracking team for this division.

The signings of Spence and Goodwin are the stand outs for me.

Players available who would have any of these guys at Airdrie , Francis Angol, Jordan Moore, Ryan Wallace, Liam Googans, Alan Gow, 

I would have Angol who can play left midfield , Moore who offers something different, Wallace who can play a number of positions and also Gow who can play number of positions. I wouldn't offer Coogans a contract.

Still? Barely played for us in his whole time here.

Aye the guy has landed on his feet from getting a contract as a player and not being match fit, to then being a coach , to now basically being the manager. 

Some of the comments on here were we need a target man or different options up front. Jordan Moore is available and has a point to prove and did very well in this league before with the Pars. The other player available is Francis Angol x motherwell player who would be a great signing for the club. I would make these two players offers, and I would also offer Gow a contract.

Great shout Copper18. All we need to after that is sign Gasparotto, Lindsay, Adam, Fraser and Mackay-Steve and we're set for the new season

Archived