Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Who honestly cares which club they supported?

Depends which question you ask?

Is it bad that a player didn't support Airdrie? Definitely not.

Is it good that a player did support Airdrie? Yes, Definitely think it adds a dimension to the role they are playing at the club and people will look for something extra from them.

On the subject of Prunty, he demonstrated a level of commitment to the club which went well beyond turning up and playing matches and some fans like to express a positive acknowledgement of that.

I think it's harsh to criticise other fans for placing importance on either of those things.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to squad matters.

Full time:

Ferguson, McDonald, Faria, Gorman Stewart, Fitzpatrick, Brown, Russell, Ryan, Reilly, Ross & Loudon

Apprentices:

Kerr, Truesdale, Bell, Cairns, Cowie, Leighton, McLaughlin, Thomson & Russell

So potentially just another 3 or 4  full time signings to come? Could be doing with a big heed the baw!

Interesting to see that the start date for pre season has been pushed back by a few days. I wonder what the logic behind that is.

Maybe the recruitment hasn't gone as planned so far?

Wonder if we'll see a few "panic" signings over the next couple of weeks i.e. Players that don't fit "the mould" who maybe cost a bit more.

So Just to break that down into positions -

GK

Ferguson; Kerr (App)

DEF

MacDonald; Gorman; Truesdale (App); Cairns (App); Bell (App)

MID

Faria; Fitzpatrick; Brown; Stewart; Ross; Loudon; Cowie (App), Leighton (App), McLaughlin (App)

ATT

Russell; Ryan; Reilly; Thomson (App); Russell (App)

Apologies if I have made any mistakes with the apprentices or others promoted from the under 20''s.

Looking at that though with potentially 4 players to add it looks like the majority of them will need to be defenders with potentially one more creative mid, can't see how they could justify signing Coogans unless they are planning on going with 2 up front.

Can't see the start at Ravenscraig being postponed being anything to do with progress on signings. Bound to be something less dramatic. Having said that, I would like to see more progress!

It was me who started the thread about Russell being an Airdrie supporter. If I had known the nonsense which followed, I wouldn't have bothered. The only point I was making was it was nice to sign a player who had affection for the club. Full stop.

I didn't know that 3 of the younger players were signed as full time squad members. Where does it say that?

Back to squad matters.

Full time:

Ferguson, McDonald, Faria, Gorman Stewart, Fitzpatrick, Brown, Russell, Ryan, Reilly, Ross & Loudon

Apprentices:

Kerr, Truesdale, Bell, Cairns, Cowie, Leighton, McLaughlin, Thomson & Russell

So potentially just another 3 or 4 full time signings to come? Could be doing with a big heed the baw!

Ross and Reilly are 20s players, just not apprentices.

Ross and Reilly are 20s players, just not apprentices.

On their twitter accounts they have posted that they have signed a two year full time deal, presumed it was for apprenticeship but then no mention of them yesterday so must be first team?

On their twitter accounts they have posted that they have signed a two year full time deal, presumed it was for apprenticeship but then no mention of them yesterday so must be first team?

I seriously doubt they are first team

I seriously doubt they are first team

Then why not announce them as apprentices? I would be surprised as well just would seem odd to give two under 20's a full time deal and have them as neither first team or apprentices....

Then why not announce them as apprentices? I would be surprised as well just would seem odd to give two under 20's a full time deal and have them as neither first team or apprentices....

Has the club ever announced officially that they have signed

They aren't first team there still 20s players, all the 20s are full time.

Wee Diamond90

Formation, if only we could get away with that.

Seriously

1 GK, 1 sub

4 def, 1 sub

4 mid, 5 sub

2 for, 3 sub

Anyone think we are done or will they be more, can we get back to speculating who we might sign and forget which player supports who, I really don't give a **** who Airdrie players support I only care who pulls on the jersey.

Wee Diamond90

Formation, if only we could get away with that.

Seriously

1 GK, 1 sub

4 def, 1 sub

4 mid, 5 sub

2 for, 3 sub

Anyone think we are done or will they be more, can we get back to speculating who we might sign and forget which player supports who, I really don't give a **** who Airdrie players support I only care who pulls on the jersey.

On balance when you write it out like that we do just need more defenders really, going by the original squad numbers then you  have 4 places left to fill.

All the 20s are full time, Reilly and Ross are also full time but not apprentices tho. Not really sure what the difference is.

Guessing that the apprentices are enrolled at college part time and that their college fees are funded under the SGov modern apprenticeship scheme.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_football.cfm?page=2661

Guest LonglivetheKING

David Ferguson has re signed for Motherwell. We had more failed gambles than Tom Segal last season. Hopefully we've come the shallow end of the learning curve.

Archived