Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

We're Diamond. I'm biased as I have followed Russell's career because of his Airdrie connection. If you google him and look at his scoring record I think that the term 'journeyman' is inappropriate.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So why pick Airdrie in that case?

He did turn down at least 1 Championship club I believe, a full-time 2 year deal at a club that he has an affinity with would have been perfect for him.

He's a smashing signing who'll bang in the goals and infuriate opposition fans if he's given the service. He'll also be a great role model for the younger boys you're bringing in, Airdrie signing all my favourite former Sons' strikers is becoming annoying.

Exactly, or for that matter Lister? Could probably of got both of them for the amount we would need to be paying Russell.

I thought Lister didn't want go part time? So that was never an option.

As much as I would have loved Prunty to stay, he was a bit part player last season (rightly or wrongly - either way he wasn't fancied). We've signed (if confirmed) a player who played regularly in a higher league.

Ryan, Russell and eg a Coogans wouldn't be bad now would it? (On paper anyway)

Exactly, or for that matter Lister? Could probably of got both of them for the amount we would need to be paying Russell.

If true then not a signing I really understand, why bother saying youth is the way forward and use it to justify releasing fan favourites to then go and sign some other 'journeyman' who has no previous attachment to the club who let's be honest is just going to be going through the motions at this stage, just hope he doesn't turn out to be another Martin Hardie or David Van Zanten #clublegends

I wanted us to keep Lister but the only way we could have held on to Jimmy would have been a part time deal.

I thought Lister didn't want go part time? So that was never an option.

As much as I would have loved Prunty to stay, he was a bit part player last season (rightly or wrongly - either way he wasn't fancied). We've signed (if confirmed) a player who played regularly in a higher league.

Ryan, Russell and eg a Coogans wouldn't be bad now would it? (On paper anyway)

Russell can hold the ball up well and is also the perfect foil for Ryan and coogans who both have a lot of pace.

We're Diamond. I'm biased as I have followed Russell's career because of his Airdrie connection. If you google him and look at his scoring record I think that the term 'journeyman' is inappropriate.

Anyone that has seen him play will know your getting a intelligent player and a goalscorer.

End of the day I hope he does well for the club, just see it as an odd signing (if true) given his age. Get the whole experience thing for the youth being a positive but as a whole package not sure why everyone is getting excited over this. However I do look forward to be proven wrong when he bangs in 25 goals for the mighty diamonds next season.

Tw said he wouldn't sign a journeyman or a player trying topick up their last big wage, however he went on to say we would consider a player if the player can bring a lot more to the table. I think Russell is in the 2nd bracket. If we sign Russell today , big well done to the club.

End of the day I hope he does well for the club, just see it as an odd signing (if true) given his age. Get the whole experience thing for the youth being a positive but as a whole package not sure why everyone is getting excited over this. However I do look forward to be proven wrong when he bangs in 25 goals for the mighty diamonds next season.

I believe he will score between 15- 20 odd goals in the league. The guy also has a good attitude.

I believe he will score between 15- 20 odd goals in the league. The guy also has a good attitude.

He'll be doing good if he gets 10 goals, he's never peen a prolific goal scorer.

Iain Russell is a much better player than Bryan Prunty. At least at this point in their careers. Consistently played at a higher level, decent goalscorer and can play a bit too. Has the experience to pass on to and guide the other strikers at the club. Good signing if it's true.

28 starts 25 goals with Brechin 

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=33139

306 starts 150 goals in the league. That's as prolific as you're likely to get.

150 goals over a 14 year career is pretty much a 10 goal a season average, and you cant just pick 1 terrific year that the guy had from a goalscoring point of view and hold that up as a typical year for him.

I'm not saying he would be a bad signing, just don't expect too many goals from him.

If you can pick out good seasons you also can't pick out seasons where he hardly played and average across 14 years. Whatever way you look at it his goals to games ratio is impressive.

If we got him and coogans I think we have decent options upfront.

Midfield and defence need addressing but time to go yet.

150 goals over a 14 year career is pretty much a 10 goal a season average, and you cant just pick 1 terrific year that the guy had from a goalscoring point of view and hold that up as a typical year for him.

I'm not saying he would be a bad signing, just don't expect too many goals from him.

Bear in mind that's 304 starts/14 years so it's effectively 11 goals in 22 starts every season for 14 years. 1 in 2, that's a very decent average.

Archived