Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stand back folks - about to shock you all, but that was a fantastic performance last night. Delighted that they played like the team I hoped was in there all season.

Other than the looking knackered towards the end, I can't fault the effort that went into that. Well done lads - can't make Saturday unfortunately but play like that again and I'll see you next week [emoji815]️

Credit where is due - especially when I'm quick to criticise.

55 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

So. Here's the question of the day.

If (and that's a gargantuan IF) we put in another three performances like last night and end up promoted; would your opinion of Mark Wilson change (i.e. Would you keep him on for next season)?

IF he does perform the miracle you cant really say no.  He's a young manager and he'd be showing signs he'd learned and improved.   

Last night's display highlighted to me 5 players that would need to be replaced if we do go up, and MW's staff would also need upgraded.

For championship level - Definitely out:   Boateng, Brown.   Benched - McDonald, Russell, Mensing, Hutton, Leitch, Fitz.

Min required:  Goalie, centre half, ballwinner centre mid, left back, 2 wingers cum strikers.

Youd need a good goalie who can compete for a place at least or improve on rohan.    We need a centre half of Gasparotto's quality.   Good in air, organiser and pace.    Mensing will be 35 and struggled with L1.   

Ballwinner would need to be at least Ross Docherty/Marvin Wilson level. 

Left back is a black hole.   McDonald is athletic but poor defensively and not making good use of the ball in attack.

2 wingers need to be able to take men on.   Russell is 35/36 next season he's already regressing and wont last the pace.  Brown is mid table L1 at best.   If we go up we need to scare teams with a counter threat.   Ryan is well suited to lone frontman role.

Theoretically we could find a better RB option and play Stewart higher up.

19 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

IF he does perform the miracle you cant really say no.  He's a young manager and he'd be showing signs he'd learned and improved.   

Last night's display highlighted to me 5 players that would need to be replaced if we do go up, and MW's staff would also need upgraded.

For championship level - Definitely out:   Boateng, Brown.   Benched - McDonald, Russell, Mensing, Hutton, Leitch, Fitz.

Min required:  Goalie, centre half, ballwinner centre mid, left back, 2 wingers cum strikers.

Youd need a good goalie who can compete for a place at least or improve on rohan.    We need a centre half of Gasparotto's quality.   Good in air, organiser and pace.    Mensing will be 35 and struggled with L1.   

Ballwinner would need to be at least Ross Docherty/Marvin Wilson level. 

Left back is a black hole.   McDonald is athletic but poor defensively and not making good use of the ball in attack.

2 wingers need to be able to take men on.   Russell is 35/36 next season he's already regressing and wont last the pace.  Brown is mid table L1 at best.   If we go up we need to scare teams with a counter threat.   Ryan is well suited to lone frontman role.

Theoretically we could find a better RB option and play Stewart higher up.

Without going into the pros and cons of your sugestions, we have a major issue in paying wages if TW has sold his shares. I doubt whether anyone else would spend as much money as he has. While enjoying the moment of our improvement I fear that bad times are just round the corner. Hope I'm proved wrong.

49 minutes ago, waysider said:

Without going into the pros and cons of your sugestions, we have a major issue in paying wages if TW has sold his shares. I doubt whether anyone else would spend as much money as he has. While enjoying the moment of our improvement I fear that bad times are just round the corner. Hope I'm proved wrong.

Do you really think anyone would buy a controlling interest in any business without seeing the accounts?

So. Here's the question of the day. 

If (and that's a gargantuan IF) we put in another three performances like last night and end up promoted; would your opinion of Mark Wilson change (i.e. Would you keep him on for next season)?

If he pulls this off then absolutely I would stick by him. He's earned the right to stay. Whether we'd have the budget to compete at a higher level concerns me more. But I'm getting far too ahead of myself.

3 minutes ago, el Gringo said:

Do you really think anyone would buy a controlling interest in any business without seeing the accounts?

A fair point. I think nobody else would be daft enough to buy Airdrie. If we go up we're going to have to sign better players and I can't think of anyone being prepared to do that given our small crowds. However, the more people I speak to who claim to be in the know the more I'm told that TW's gone.

It's hard to call a club like ours a business in so far as making a profit is concerned.

If, for example, the stadium owners buy out TW, the best we will get is the club ticking over. 

A fair point. I think nobody else would be daft enough to buy Airdrie. If we go up we're going to have to sign better players and I can't think of anyone being prepared to do that given our small crowds. However, the more people I speak to who claim to be in the know the more I'm told that TW's gone.
It's hard to call a club like ours a business in so far as making a profit is concerned.
If, for example, the stadium owners buy out TW, the best we will get is the club ticking over. 

Taking the rumours temporarily out of the equation.

Tw announced a 3yr plan, so at some point if we had gained promotion he would have had to produced funds to build a championship squad.

But once you through the rumours back into the equation it is all back up in the air.

56 minutes ago, waysider said:

All these people know who's gone but no one knows who's bought? Genuine question, have you asked?

In terms of who (if anyone) is buying nobody knows. Did you have TW down as a potential buyer for instance?

Whoever is coming in will be fully aware of the financial position and that we have players on full time contracts with additional years to run. Promotion would go a long way to helping that Im sure.

But you're right about who really is going to invest in the longer term with little return!

35 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

All these people know who's gone but no one knows who's bought? Genuine question, have you asked?

In terms of who (if anyone) is buying nobody knows. Did you have TW down as a potential buyer for instance?

Whoever is coming in will be fully aware of the financial position and that we have players on full time contracts with additional years to run. Promotion would go a long way to helping that Im sure.

But you're right about who really is going to invest in the longer term with little return!

I have asked but if they know they aren't telling. One said a possibility was the stadium company but I formed the view that this was a guess.

As has already been said, I can't see anyone buying it with a view to making serious money, so my guess would be a diehard fan who has some happy cabbage to play with.

But I will hold on and wait for an official announcement. 

2 hours ago, waysider said:

As far as crowds are concerned, we are the best supported team in our league. If we can't make the jump what chance has anyone else.

Like yourself I've heard from a number of sources that T W has definitely sold up along with the Ballantynes. Don't know about the last bit as I've only heard about the Ballantynes from one source but he was adamant that they are going.

42 minutes ago, waysider said:

I have asked but if they know they aren't telling. One said a possibility was the stadium company but I formed the view that this was a guess.

It won't be the stadium company as long as the Ballantynes are there!!!!!

Archived