Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course trust events are dominated by the "happy clapper" faction. The Trust is largely made up of people who see it as their duty to support the Club warts and all and see supporting Airdrie as something of a life sentence . I don't think these people are unaware of the Club's failings but they try to do what they can to improve things. The "realists " on the other hand look down their noses at these people and spend a lot of their time greeting anonymously at everything. We even have people on here who don't go to the matches but nonetheless have their say about how badly the team is playing. It has been a poor season in many respects but the Trust has been a shining example of what has been good about the Club. By the way I'm not a Trust office bearer. 

I would agree there are some fans that look down their nose at others. However I would debate the order you've put it in..

Many realists are some of the most dedicated fans you'll get and I don't think they should be dismissed like that.

It's why I don't think pissing contests about my fan is better than your fan is helpful.

My point is -do I feel the trust represents me? No.

Will is support any fundraising etc where and when I can even though I'm not going to renew my membership? Of course.

I would agree there are some fans that look down their nose at others. However I would debate the order you've put it in..

Many realists are some of the most dedicated fans you'll get and I don't think they should be dismissed like that.

It's why I don't think pissing contests about my fan is better than your fan is helpful.

My point is -do I feel the trust represents me? No.

Will is support any fundraising etc where and when I can even though I'm not going to renew my membership? Of course.

This. The trust only represents those that are happy with our current existence. They put a positive spin on everything when in fact some realism is what's needed.

Don't think 'only' happy clappers went to the poty. Chapelhall Man went and I've heard him screaming at Wilson along with the rest of us. And he is also critical on here, when warranted.

Hopefully he'll give us the lowdown today.

2 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

This. The trust only represents those that are happy with our current existence. They put a positive spin on everything when in fact some realism is what's needed.

I don't think they necessarily do put a positive spin on everything. I think they go about doing what they do. I've not heard "them" be critical about Wilson as such but I've not heard them say that everything is great. Running a player of the year night is hardly endorsing the current state of affairs at the club. It's something that's done at every club in the land.

Having said that I get that there is an opportunity for them to be more vocal. However the rep on the board may help. And anyone can join it and help shape it into what they want it to be though from what I've seen (I've not had any involvement so maybe I'm wide of the mark with that). 

What does reaching the play offs mean financially to the club, is there a bigger payout over and above the points already accumulated ?

I assume the only benefit is one or two additional home gates, although I'm sure the SPFL take a chunk too.

I'd rather have a bunch of happy clappers attending every game, paying their ticket money, programme money, 50/50 money, lottery money and buying a tshirt than the fickle fairweather 'fans' who only turn up for the New Year game or the final game of the season. At least happy clappers contribute financially which enables the club to function. If, having paid their admittance they then want to pretend that everything is grand then fair enough. As far as I am aware they don't actually hurt anybody. 

If we got to the Championship and done well and were suddenly experiencing gate numbers of 3000 per week, would they also be despised for being glory hunters? 

I just want to see the Airdrie do well, regardless of who is in the stands or how deluded they may be.

◇◇◇

I'd rather have a bunch of happy clappers attending every game, paying their ticket money, programme money, 50/50 money, lottery money and buying a tshirt than the fickle fairweather 'fans' who only turn up for the New Year game or the final game of the season. At least happy clappers contribute financially which enables the club to function. If, having paid their admittance they then want to pretend that everything is grand then fair enough. As far as I am aware they don't actually hurt anybody. 
If we got to the Championship and done well and were suddenly experiencing gate numbers of 3000 per week, would they also be despised for being glory hunters? 
I just want to see the Airdrie do well, regardless of who is in the stands or how deluded they may be.
◇◇◇

But quite often the happy clappers are a major part of people turning away from the club. They can be self righteous, operate with an air of superiority and their dismissal and failure to recognise growing concerns alienates other fans and allows mediocrity on and off the pitch to be accepted.

So whilst you may not see them do direct harm to the club I would argue that they do.

6 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

But quite often the happy clappers are a major part of people turning away from the club. They can be self righteous, operate with an air of superiority and their dismissal and failure to recognise growing concerns alienates other fans and allows mediocrity on and off the pitch to be accepted.

So whilst you may not see them do direct harm to the club I would argue that they do.

That really is a lot of rubbish. If people stop coming to matches because they see people supporting the club we're in real trouble. I can't believe how people who don't voice complaints are thought of by some people.

I had a wee laugh at the game yesterday when the stewards lined up in front of the stand before the end.

We can't even muster a song during the game never mind a pitch invasion!

20 minutes ago, Airdrie♢Diamond said:

◇◇◇

I'm one of the growing band of "fickle fairweather fans". 

Your attitude is a major part of the problem. Superiority complex.

I think everyone who takes time out of their day to even post about Airdrie wants the club to do well. We all want a winning team, a club we can be proud of. 

Just because some of us don't accept being served up shit week after week does not make us any less of a fan.

MY attitude is part of the problem? My attitude is that I don't give a f**k how stupid people are if they have paid their money. If people want to think Wilson is a god then f/k them. Moaning isn't going to change their attitude.

Maybe the real solution to the problem is for the management to put together a team that will give EVERYBODY a reason to be genuinely positive!

I'm one of the growing band of "fickle fairweather fans". 
Your attitude is a major part of the problem. Superiority complex.
I think everyone who takes time out of their day to even post about Airdrie wants the club to do well. We all want a winning team, a club we can be proud of. 
Just because some of us don't accept being served up shit week after week does not make us any less of a fan.

It's bittersweet when I see airdrie win these days. I won't be back until the pundit experiment is finished, it may seem petty but I've made the choice and stand by my reasons for it. When we win I'm delighted but there is always that part inside me saying 'another week of Wilson and Daziel'. I can afford to pay £16 a week to watch Airdrie, the price isn't what bothers me, it's the shite that's served up and value for money must be at its lowest for many years. Also the attitude that comes when faced with criticism, not only from the players, the management and the board but fellow fans, these are the people that are too proud to see the reality, it's as if for some people our current situation has become the norm and is totally acceptable.

5 minutes ago, Airdrie♢Diamond said:

MY attitude is part of the problem? My attitude is that I don't give a f**k how stupid people are if they have paid their money. If people want to think Wilson is a god then f/k them. Moaning isn't going to change their attitude.

Maybe the real solution to the problem is for the management to put together a team that will give EVERYBODY a reason to be genuinely positive!

Yes. You have a superiority complex.

As it happens, I'm stupid enough to have a season ticket and still not turn up. I don't consider myself any better or worse a fan than anybody else. Everyone who cares about the club is entitled to speak their mind no matter how unpalatable it is for some to listen to.

I hold my hand up to being a part of the argument over the last few posts but we shouldn't be worrying over much about fans. The real concern is the future of our club if TW has walked. Where else are we going to get someone to spend money on players? If he has sold to the stadium owners I can't see them putting money in. I foresee a return to a part-time set up with no hope.Ok, full-time has hardly been a success but it has possibilities with better decision making.

27 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

It's bittersweet when I see airdrie win these days. I won't be back until the pundit experiment is finished, it may seem petty but I've made the choice and stand by my reasons for it. When we win I'm delighted but there is always that part inside me saying 'another week of Wilson and Daziel'. I can afford to pay £16 a week to watch Airdrie, the price isn't what bothers me, it's the shite that's served up and value for money must be at its lowest for many years. Also the attitude that comes when faced with criticism, not only from the players, the management and the board but fellow fans, these are the people that are too proud to see the reality, it's as if for some people our current situation has become the norm and is totally acceptable.

I'm not going to criticise anyone for not going. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I go still. Don't enjoy it for the large part so I can relate to what you're saying. There's no right or wrong.

I think though that under JB I dont believe he cared if people were going or not. He cut his cloth accordingly which resulted in kids playing for buttons. If anything it likely made him more stubborn. And while I haven't accepted where we are as the norm - that's what it's become. That's the reality.

TW coming in gave us a chance to get back to where I think we should be. However mismanagement has left us in a bit of a mess (although we finished in a play off spot). And now he's lost interest Im not sure whether he cares if people are going or not either... All of which leaves us in a very dangerous position with outgoings greater than money coming in and a guy seemingly wanting out who is covering the difference. 

The club needs promotion and for the sake of a few games it'd be good to see (a poor) team backed in large numbers  if folk stay away, fine, I get it but I'm not sure what it'll achieve  What'll happen is in TWs control - and there appears absolute apathy on his part (and JB still no doubt). If he has sold who's next in? And will things get any better?

Wilson is quoted in the paper today as saying this season has been a good learning experience and we're in a good place ready for the next challenge. I hope for him personally that's not at Airdrie, but if it is then I hope it's in the Championship.  

Archived