Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

3 hours ago, waysider said:

I think that you are a bit harsh although agreeing with a lot of what you say. By your reckoning only Ryan deserves a starting place! We have to remember that this is the Scottish First Division.

And if we want to win that division we need a better standard of player.....in almost every position.

If you look at this years league winners, how many of our starting 11 would get a place in theirs?

I'd wager only Ryan would get into the Alloa 11. 

We are that far behind. 

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I pay so little attention to football these days I probably couldn't name a player from another team outside the premier league and championship so I've no idea. I know dross when I see it though emoji106.png

Ok I know that I am going to be shot down in flames with this one, but Archibalds "Spanish Experiment" was a success compared with todays dross, could we not see if there is some players in the lower foreign leagues willing to come to Scotland to place themselves in the shop window?

3 hours ago, Redandwhitearmy78 said:

Aww this moaning about back chat lovers done it his whole career and was made out to be a "legend"when infact he was a fandan

Lovers is exactly the type of player were missing.

The players I would like us to sign ,Dougie Hill centre half at Brechin, McIntosh Peterhead would be a good squad player. Goalkeeper Grant Adam or Smith Brechin goalkeeper, Turnbull left back at the rovers, if fit Alan Cook would make a good squad player and I beleive he's a better player than the one that left Airdrie.

Lovers is exactly the type of player were missing.
The players I would like us to sign ,Dougie Hill centre half at Brechin, McIntosh Peterhead would be a good squad player. Goalkeeper Grant Adam or Smith Brechin goalkeeper, Turnbull left back at the rovers, if fit Alan Cook would make a good squad player and I beleive he's a better player than the one that left Airdrie.

Wit a c**t that got sent off every week for mouthing to referees aye al pass

3 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

Ok I know that I am going to be shot down in flames with this one, but Archibalds "Spanish Experiment" was a success compared with todays dross, could we not see if there is some players in the lower foreign leagues willing to come to Scotland to place themselves in the shop window?

Or Portuguese? We could bring over a few more Hugo's.

If we're going to go down that road we'd better start soon. We don't know how Brexit might effect bringing in foreign lads after 2019.

57 minutes ago, Airdrie♢Diamond said:

Or Portuguese? We could bring over a few more Hugo's.

If we're going to go down that road we'd better start soon. We don't know how Brexit might effect bringing in foreign lads after 2019.

Go Spanish, 

Jesus Sanjuan now there was a great football player.

3 hours ago, Redandwhitearmy78 said:

Wit a c**t that got sent off every week for mouthing to referees aye al pass

How many red cards did he have out 222 appearances for Airdrie anyone know ?

Got to disagree lovers was a great player for Airdrie.

The majority of the players listed who currently play with other teams in our league won't be interested in taking a probable drop in wages to play full-time football when they can have a full time job outside of football and supplement their income playing part-time.

1 hour ago, Cooper81 said:

How many red cards did he have out 222 appearances for Airdrie anyone know ?

Got to disagree lovers was a great player for Airdrie.

No.He wasn't a great Airdrie player. He played in very average teams and cost us quite a lot with his stupidity.

I remember he got sent off at an important game and the fanny's behind me clapping him.Incomprehensible.

Badge kisser whets your whistle?  He also kissed the Hibs badge and the Ayr badge...frequently.

26 minutes ago, AFC1878 said:

The majority of the players listed who currently play with other teams in our league won't be interested in taking a probable drop in wages to play full-time football when they can have a full time job outside of football and supplement their income playing part-time.

Agree. When at our level, why not aim for having the best P/T team?

6 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

Agree. When at our level, why not aim for having the best P/T team?

Even though that model would suit us better,  we're stuck with the horrendous set up that our former leader Wotherspoon bestowed upon us.   Well I say Wotherspoon but was it King, Woleki, Love...?   I have no idea now but all those times they talked at us and told us how clever they were...

On that subject, where is Wotherspoon?  Have the Bentleys taken over again?  Ever since the McBride sacking we've not heard from TW.    He has a fair amount of green in M+H's logo,  has Bentleytine banned him from the car park?

12 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

Bear in mind that Itchybaws better players (ie, the ones we idolise) were paid - or at least promised - thousands every week.   That was a high risk strategy and remember practically no one buys players now.

11 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Sent off less that once a season but don't let that worry you c**t

Did a check on Lovering and he had 6 Red cards in his 222 games with 6/9 seasons producing 1 Red Card. This probably looks good compared to many of our other players in that time? I always though he verged on the edge of getting away with it mainly because Referees did not see him as "uncooperative" ; he had a bit of Willie Miller about him. I thought he was an excellent player in that promotion season after coming from St Johnstone.

39 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Did a check on Lovering and he had 6 Red cards in his 222 games with 6/9 seasons producing 1 Red Card. This probably looks good compared to many of our other players in that time? I always though he verged on the edge of getting away with it mainly because Referees did not see him as "uncooperative" ; he had a bit of Willie Miller about him. I thought he was an excellent player in that promotion season after coming from St Johnstone.

He did get a lot of yellows bit hardly worth that eejit calling him a c**t eh?    The guy was a warrior even when his legs had gone a long time ago

He did get a lot of yellows bit hardly worth that eejit calling him a c**t eh?    The guy was a warrior even when his legs had gone a long time ago

Thought this thread was about opinions I think your a c**t but that my opinion I can say if I think lovers is c**t cause that's my opinion you don't like it? Well that your problem not mine

51 minutes ago, Redandwhitearmy78 said:

Thought this thread was about opinionsI think you're a c**t but that's my opinion, I can say if I think lovers is c**t cause that's my opinion. You don't like it? Well that's your problem not mine

I've tried to tidy that up a bit for you thicko, it was really hard to read.

Archived