Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a fortuitous tap in of a loose ball from a corner.

We played 442 (midfield diamond) with Boateng at the base of it.   Clumsy misjudged headers and injured u20s in his wake regularly.

I really wouldn't get excited about him.

Likewise Cissoko.  He's 6'5" and doesn't have much impact outside the box.   He can finish though.  Given our passing game though I'd be worried if thats the kind of player we're after.

We have some decent young players but with all due respect I cant see what Donald and the coaches are doing.   

Rovers under Brian Kerr played better football with lesser calibre players, you could see the better organisation.    The increasingly gusting wind and rain probably made the difference.  Cissoko's goal from a goalie punt that landed in the 6yd box.   The og at the end was wind assisted too.

But we do have some good kids.   The back 4 of Truesdale, Cairns (too animated and whiney), Ross and Cammy Russell, McLaughlin and Leighton...   No sure if Loudon can make the step up tbh and Thomson shouldnt be left mid in a diamond.

8 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

f**k me. Our strategy must've changed drastically in the few weeks I've missed a game!

Probably has tbh.   Since the players took over a few games ago they've been pleasing to watch and effective.  Dalziel's long ball shite previously was a disaster.   Hence why signing Taylor Morgan mkII is curious.

Probably has tbh.   Since the players took over a few games ago they've been pleasing to watch and effective.  Dalziel's long ball shite previously was a disaster.   Hence why signing Taylor Morgan mkII is curious.

No one will know if he's shite or no until we sign him and he plays a few games what happened to "give him a chance?"

The Ballantines never ever cared about the fans only cared about lining there oan pockets had to sit n watch Shite teams for the past 10 years and then they would come out n blast us because 500 fans turned up at a home game they may have saved Airdrie but they also finished Airdrie

Lining their pockets? What money do you think can be made from a football club Ffs?? The lack of gratitude towards the Ballantyne's from some of our supporters is an absolute disgrace!

Without them there is no club and we should never forget that. They were there when no one else was prepared to step up to the plate.

They were far from perfect and could be arrogant and dismissive of fans- but who wouldn't be when you consider some of the utter roasters that support us? You only have to read the crap that's posted on here, on Facebook or shouted at games. To listen to morons like that tell you how you should be running your business and launching personal attacks on you must be pretty irritating.

Aye JB is especially arrogant and could be viewed as having used the club to further his egotism- but who is perfect? And who doesn't like getting nice advantages in life?

The biggest failing for me was that they promised greater fan involvement and then didn't really deliver on this. JB could be duplicitous with the information he provided to the trust but I doubt he was doing it for dubious personal financial reasons.

As an outside observer It seems to me that a few airdrie supporters were happy to have a cosy relationship with JB, essentially as representatives of the fans, but quickly forgot this and began to enjoy the resultant personal status they acquired from having "insider knowledge". As soon as this was withdrawn or they felt slighted they threw tantrums and held petty personal grudges. They were or should only have been there as fans representatives so any slight should have been against that role- not them as individuals.

The "Bentleytines" tag is a pathetic cheap blow- JB acquired the cash to buy his Bentley long before he got involved with Airdrie. Furthermore he had no obligation to start living a less salubrious lifestyle in order to throw more of his personal wealth into our club.

When JB took over he made it clear that he would never run up debts and would only spend money the club had. Over a thousand(1500 plus) fans also pledged to support the club through thick and thin. Only one party stuck to that agreement!

P.S I can't mind too many fans asking questions of JB back in the day at public meetings. Any time I went it was like listening to Jim White interview Brian Laudrup as you all fawned over him......kind of like what folk were like with TW when he first came in.

4 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Lining their pockets? What money do you think can be made from a football club Ffs?? The lack of gratitude towards the Ballantyne's from some of our supporters is an absolute disgrace!

And vice versa?   

Without them there is no club and we should never forget that. They were there when no one else was prepared to step up to the plate.

They were far from perfect and could be arrogant and dismissive of fans

Aye JB is especially arrogant and could be viewed as having used the club to further his egotism

The biggest failing for me was that they promised greater fan involvement and then didn't really deliver on this. JB could be duplicitous with the information he provided to the trust 

Versus...

The "Bentleytines" tag is a pathetic cheap blow

I'm the only person to ever use the term "Bentleytine" in the last 10 years and only about JB.   It's a charicature.  I personally dislike him as I asked a serious question at a Q+A and I felt he was dismissive and not straight with me/us.  We've suffered a decade+ of utter shite since those days.    He wanted out as much as we wanted better.    His sister, mother and late father are the Airdrie fans and I'll certainly be grateful to them - warts and all.

I'm the only person to ever use the term "Bentleytine" in the last 10 years and only about JB.   It's a charicature.  I personally dislike him as I asked a serious question at a Q+A and I felt he was dismissive and not straight with me/us.  We've suffered a decade+ of utter shite since those days.    He wanted out as much as we wanted better.    His sister, mother and late father are the Airdrie fans and I'll certainly be grateful to them - warts and all.

Do you think he had less gratitude than who we have now? I don't and it took a lot longer before JB got as dismissive of fans than it took TW.

The only person who has used Bentleytine in this thread is what ever his name was a few pages ago- he's using it as a dig and almost implying JB funded in through our pockets.

They were far from perfect and could be arrogant and dismissive of fans- but who wouldn't be when you consider some of the utter roasters that support us? You only have to read the crap that's posted on here, on Facebook or shouted at games. To listen to morons like that tell you how you should be running your business and launching personal attacks on you must be pretty irritating.

Aye JB is especially arrogant and could be viewed as having used the club to further his egotism- but who is perfect? And who doesn't like getting nice advantages in life?

The biggest failing for me was that they promised greater fan involvement and then didn't really deliver on this. JB could be duplicitous with the information he provided to the trust but I doubt he was doing it for dubious personal financial reasons.

As an outside observer It seems to me that a few airdrie supporters were happy to have a cosy relationship with JB, essentially as representatives of the fans, but quickly forgot this and began to enjoy the resultant personal status they acquired from having "insider knowledge". As soon as this was withdrawn or they felt slighted they threw tantrums and held petty personal grudges. They were or should only have been there as fans representatives so any slight should have been against that role- not them as individuals.

The "Bentleytines" tag is a pathetic cheap blow- JB acquired the cash to buy his Bentley long before he got involved with Airdrie. Furthermore he had no obligation to start living a less salubrious lifestyle in order to throw more of his personal wealth into our club.

When JB took over he made it clear that he would never run up debts and would only spend money the club had. Over a thousand(1500 plus) fans also pledged to support the club through thick and thin. Only one party stuck to that agreement!

P.S I can't mind too many fans asking questions of JB back in the day at public meetings. Any time I went it was like listening to Jim White interview Brian Laudrup as you all fawned over him......kind of like what folk were like with TW when he first came in.

Liked almost of all this and I remember signing up outside Safeway as walter Spiers set up his table. I have stuck to that agreement through thick and thin so it is the disappeared ( for whatever reasons) who have changed their minds.

2 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Do you think he had less gratitude than who we have now? I don't and it took a lot longer before JB got as dismissive of fans than it took TW.

The only person who has used Bentleytine in this thread is what ever his name was a few pages ago- he's using it as a dig and almost implying JB funded in through our pockets.

Ballantyne lasted a few years before things turned sout.   I certainly lasted till he sacked Stewart after 4 years. 

I still havent gotten over the way AMB once sneered something uppity about us back in August 2002.

JB tried the "man of the people" thing for a while but it wore off.

TW kind of unravelled immediately primarily regards the mascot thing with his daughter, then the backlash to the backstabbing of Bollan, arguing with social media furore about the agent, then his "mucker" Kingy's "6 month's in" written assault on everyone then the hostile Q+A.

Like you (I think) I preferred the old days when there was a proper divide between the boardroom and the fans.   

Turn up or don't, pay your money or don't, support the team or don't.   Was much easier and f**k this having those cnuts looking over your shoulder to moan about what was being said.   Could you just imagine Jake Dalziel, Peat the cheat and Campbell Craig hanging about the Zanzi Bar listening to us banging on about the paper type of the Broomfield Bulletin?

Me personally,  I'll argue if I think they are doing something wrong or could be doing something better but so far,  we've had a decade+ of terrible, terrible decisions and they dont seem to be improving.

Other than the usual roasters I dont think many actually hate the owners, plenty frustration but those same types will back and support them to the hilt.

Ballantyne lasted a few years before things turned sout.   I certainly lasted till he sacked Stewart after 4 years. 
I still havent gotten over the way AMB once sneered something uppity about us back in August 2002.
JB tried the "man of the people" thing for a while but it wore off.
TW kind of unravelled immediately primarily regards the mascot thing with his daughter, then the backlash to the backstabbing of Bollan, arguing with social media furore about the agent, then his "mucker" Kingy's "6 month's in" written assault on everyone then the hostile Q+A.
Like you (I think) I preferred the old days when there was a proper divide between the boardroom and the fans.   
Turn up or don't, pay your money or don't, support the team or don't.   Was much easier and f**k this having those cnuts looking over your shoulder to moan about what was being said.   Could you just imagine Jake Dalziel, Peat the cheat and Campbell Craig hanging about the Zanzi Bar listening to us banging on about the paper type of the Broomfield Bulletin?
Me personally,  I'll argue if I think they are doing something wrong or could be doing something better but so far,  we've had a decade+ of terrible, terrible decisions and they dont seem to be improving.
Other than the usual roasters I dont think many actually hate the owners, plenty frustration but those same types will back and support them to the hilt.

I think we've been pretty poorly ran since we came back into existence but at least we've been and are being run so I wouldn't criticise anyone too much. For all JB and TW's faults- of which there are plenty- their hearts were/are in the right place.

I don't know much about this snooping that's apparently going on with what's being said by fans, other than what's been mentioned on here. What business is it of them? And why do they care? There are deffo folk at the club it would appear who are hyper sensitive to criticism. It won't make me think twice about criticising them though and I will say the same to their faces if they want.

If you get involved in football then you raise you're head above the parapet and need to be prepared to take flak- it's got to be water off a ducks back. However if folk are talking a load of pish then it's up to us to correct it.

3 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I don't know much about this snooping that's apparently going on with what's being said by fans, other than what's been mentioned on here. What business is it of them? And why do they care? There are deffo folk at the club it would appear who are hyper sensitive to criticism. It won't make me think twice about criticising them though and I will say the same to their faces if they want.

I know you did last year but clearly our concerns about sex offenders, bigots, etc, was not accepted.   We (you) were told you were wrong which I think is horrific.    Surely they can take that on board?

3 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

If you get involved in football then you raise you're head above the parapet and need to be prepared to take flak- it's got to be water off a ducks back. However if folk are talking a load of pish then it's up to us to correct it.

I personally think they need to be clear leaders,  not trying to befriend us.

TW has said that he has a 3 year plan of which we're in year 1.  That plan was to go F/T and have us back in the D1 and challenging by end of year 3.    He's done the 1st part.

Do what you say, make your plans clear, sit back, stay aloof and let it happen.

That'd do for me.

2 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

I know you did last year but clearly our concerns about sex offenders, bigots, etc, was not accepted.   We (you) were told you were wrong which I think is horrific.

Haven't been around P&B that long. What were the concerns? In what way weren't they accepted?

I went to the Q and A last year because I wanted to hear more about the plans to go full time. They were clearly set out although not always followed. My abiding memory of TW at that meeting was that he was a bit thinned skinned for the position he was in.

I agree with DBM on this occasion. I don't think there should be any more of these sessions as they could end in a rammy. So much has happened of a negative nature which could not be glossed over. TW should just get on with it although a note in the programme might help if anything really important happens.

14 hours ago, Airdrie♢Diamond said:

Haven't been around P&B that long. What were the concerns? In what way weren't they accepted?

As an example, one of the concerns:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/sex-pest-footballer-alan-lithgow-1007399

A number of supporters (rightly) didn't want a "nasty pervert" playing for the club. 

We got a "nasty pervert" playing for the club. 

Archived