Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, waysider said:

Looking toward next season, I really hope that the rumours about Dalziel and Wilson being offered 2 year contracts are wrong. I could just about stomach Wilson being retained but only as a number 2 to a decent manager so he could learn properly. Dalziel in my opinion is a disaster and the fact that he doesn't turn up to matches is a disgrace. Wilson is left with all the responsibility on match day which is unfair given his lack of experience.

I'm glad to see that some people are coming round to Russell. It seems to me that is not a coincidence that he now playing as a striker. He did play on the left when he was younger but that's not appropriate for him now.

The rumours seem to be one guy posting a joke on Facebook. 

Russell played wide for Queen of the South, including just last season btw. 

10 hours ago, waysider said:

Looking toward next season, I really hope that the rumours about Dalziel and Wilson being offered 2 year contracts are wrong. I could just about stomach Wilson being retained but only as a number 2 to a decent manager so he could learn properly. Dalziel in my opinion is a disaster and the fact that he doesn't turn up to matches is a disgrace. Wilson is left with all the responsibility on match day which is unfair given his lack of experience.

I'm glad to see that some people are coming round to Russell. It seems to me that is not a coincidence that he now playing as a striker. He did play on the left when he was younger but that's not appropriate for him now.

Russell has got better as the season has went on and has upped his game. It is great Russell is finding form at the business end of the season when we are needing results to get over the line into the play offs.

Interesting Stats-  6 appearances - 4 goals ( all outfield goals) and 2 assists.

Don't think many will argue with this one but for me Russell was motm against Albion Rovers. Saturday just past he was also potentially motm but i can understand why Hutton got motm who has came on leaps and bounds and is starting to become a standout for us and Hutton did great at winning the ball then setting up Russell who took his chance very well. I am also very happy Russell is at Airdrie and contracted for next season, i just hope the club move fast and do there best to get Hutton,and Conroy tied down on contracts. 

1 hour ago, Cooper81 said:

Russell has got better as the season has went on and has upped his game. It is great Russell is finding form at the business end of the season when we are needing results to get over the line into the play offs.

Interesting Stats-  6 appearances - 4 goals ( all outfield goals) and 2 assists.

Don't think many will argue with this one but for me Russell was motm against Albion Rovers. Saturday just past he was also potentially motm but i can understand why Hutton got motm who has came on leaps and bounds and is starting to become a standout for us and Hutton did great at winning the ball then setting up Russell who took his chance very well. I am also very happy Russell is at Airdrie and contracted for next season, i just hope the club move fast and do there best to get Hutton,and Conroy tied down on contracts. 

Hutton is contracted to St Mirren for another year.

6 hours ago, Evil Jim Fenner said:

Hutton is contracted to St Mirren for another year.

If StMirren don't attend to play him and we do hopefully agreement between StMirren and Hutton could be made to release him from his contract and then sign for Airdrie.

Hutton coming to Airdrie has been good move for both Kyle and Airdrie.

We have Fitzpatrick and Conroy back next season.   Where does Hutton fit in?  

My thoughts exactly. Despite the stick he got (not pointing any fingers :lol:) Fitzpatrick is actually an important player for us, we have been noticeably worse since he got injured.

We've lost 8 of Hutton's 16 game whilst Futz has been out albeit he's imoroved a bit lately.    If we go up we need a bigfer squad so there'd be room for both,  bit if we're still in D2 then it'll be a tight budget again.    Cant see Leitch staying with us in L2 beyond this year.   

Maybe they decide to replace Leitch with Hutton in the summer but that'd leave us with a rather old and static midfield

We will undoubtedly release the six first team players who's contract expire at the end of the season regardless what league we are in.

Bo - off ye pop.

Mensing - better than Bo but not good enough.

Leitch - not shown enough for me. Good player at times but there are better out there.

Hutton - will likely return to St Mirren, we don't have a big enough squad to justify him and Fitz in any case.

McGregor - will return to Hamilton.

McKay - will return to Leeds (hopefully).

The rest of the squad are signed up for next season by my reckoning .

5 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

We have Fitzpatrick and Conroy back next season.   Where does Hutton fit in?  

There's no way he'll be back fit in time for the start of the season with that injury, it's a 9-12 month job from the operation if everything goes well (which I think was around Christmas?). Even clubs with the best medical care struggle to get players back in that time scale, the boy Zouma at Chelsea had that injury and played his first league game in 14 months last week. Plus we don't know if he'll be the same player, that injury ruined John Boyle. Puts us in an awkward situation where he'll probably be back midway through the season so hard to know what to do. If it all possible I'd be keeping Hutton.

3 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

There's no way he'll be back fit in time for the start of the season with that injury, it's a 9-12 month job from the operation if everything goes well (which I think was around Christmas?). Even clubs with the best medical care struggle to get players back in that time scale, the boy Zouma at Chelsea had that injury and played his first league game in 14 months last week. Plus we don't know if he'll be the same player, that injury ruined John Boyle. Puts us in an awkward situation where he'll probably be back midway through the season so hard to know what to do. If it all possible I'd be keeping Hutton.

I personally thought it would finish him at this level.  The advantage he had over Boyle and Drummond (and Smyth's hernia) is that they had to wait on NHS.   The player and club's timetable was the atart of next season.

Personally,  I'd see what league we're in first re Hutton.   St Mirren may not be willing to write "mutually consent" him knowing we're keen on him.

I personally thought it would finish him at this level.  The advantage he had over Boyle and Drummond (and Smyth's hernia) is that they had to wait on NHS.   The player and club's timetable was the atart of next season.
Personally,  I'd see what league we're in first re Hutton.   St Mirren may not be willing to write "mutually consent" him knowing we're keen on him.

I know it's vastly different from competitive games or even training for that matter but it was good to see him on the pitch knocking the ball about during the warm up on Saturday so potentially start of next season could be feasible.

Archived