Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

TBH I think it is the kind of player the club will be looking to sign under the new setup, released at a higher level and looking to stay in the game.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a decent scoring record for Strathspey. Strathspey are one of the whipping boys of the Highland League. But the Highland League is nowhere near as strong as it used to be and the opposition he'll have played every week will have been pretty poor, especially in comparison to what he'd be up against at this level.

No idea if it's even true, I certainly don't trust the Sun, but it seems fairly believable given that's exactly the sort of player we'll be looking at. Concerning, as was the chairman's comments that we'll be relying on our Academy players. Fair enough having some on the bench or in the team if they're good enough but having to rely on them will not spell success for the 3 year plan.

That's a decent scoring record for Strathspey. Strathspey are one of the whipping boys of the Highland League. But the Highland League is nowhere near as strong as it used to be and the opposition he'll have played every week will have been pretty poor, especially in comparison to what he'd be up against at this level.

No idea if it's even true, I certainly don't trust the Sun, but it seems fairly believable given that's exactly the sort of player we'll be looking at.

Good job no one at the club ever worked for the sun..............

The worry would be - if there's anything in the rumour - why are Hibs getting rid of him so quickly?

You could say that with almost every player in existence.

They don't grow out the ground - they need to be released by somebody to end up at Airdrie.

Sorry, I missed the quotes and emoji with that last post. Are they still an "amateur" :whistle team?

Nothing worse than trying to explain a (failed) stab at humour.

Yes, Queens Park are still amateur, I had hoped that was common knowledge, hence my catty comment about being outbid by them. It was a childish and immature attempt at humour based on the fact that we have players, men with kids in some cases, turning down apprentice like money for f/t contracts.

I wont try that one again Stuart, I promise.

You could say that with almost every player in existence.

They don't grow out the ground - they need to be released by somebody to end up at Airdrie.

I get that. The point I was making was he's been let go after only 4 months (with Hibs having paid an albeit small fee to get him), which isn't a lot of time. I would have thought if he'd shown a bit of promise they'd have kept him for a little longer.

These are guys we'll be expecting to do a turn in the first team. Not development players.

Nothing worse than trying to explain a (failed) stab at humour.

Yes, Queens Park are still amateur, I had hoped that was common knowledge, hence my catty comment about being outbid by them. It was a childish and immature attempt at humour based on the fact that we have players, men with kids in some cases, turning down apprentice like money for f/t contracts.

I wont try that one again Stuart, I promise.

I wasn't criticising.  My first post was the setup, the 2nd the punchline.  I won't try that again either.

There are good young players out there who are released by Premiership and Championship clubs. He could very well be one of them. He could also not be. We just don't know and won't until we see him play (if we even sign him) and that's probably the same for every other player we sign this summer.

Archived