Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Prunty has been a star for the club through a pretty bleak decade of football, he's someone that fans could always rely on to care and do his best for the club. Understandably fans are sad to see him go, but objectively, given where we are now and what we are trying to do, there's really no case for keeping him. He hasn't been able to command a place in a poor team this season under 3 different managers. A shame to see him go and really wish him well, but it's the right decision.

Lister would be crazy to go full-time for a year at this stage in his career, again he's been great for the club, but no surprise he's going.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe people are actually expecting a deal to be given to lister with his full time job.

Also games are won in this league with fitness and players that can chase the opposition down to the last minute, players in this league aren't particularly good on the ball but they're allowed to much possession and aren't closed down quick enough.

Young boys are capable of this with the right coaching and experience along side you. With Faria playing at a higher leave the experience is invaluable and is worth more in my option than a taking a risk with a striker who is injury prone. Bringing these young guys through is the priority now and love it or hate it that's how it's going to stay.

If we now sign Coogans as our new number 9 I am delighted.

Is that wrong?

Yes, as coogans struggled to hold down a place in a struggling brechin team. Albeit gained reasonable form towards the end but still miles off playing in a team who should be challenging next season.

Do u think sum of them mite follow Bollan

I could imagine the likes of lister, parry and maybe prunty might be interested. The chance of finishing there careers with a medal might be a lure. Not soo much parry as hes is still youngish for a keeper.Thats if forfar are serious about coming straight back up

Hard to describe news of last night's news, the loss of Prunty on a personal level is painful as he has been so good with the younger fans. Lister's goals and production will be missed badly too. Also, we'll be making a few rivals stronger too. Rovers, Stenny and Forfar could really reap some rewards.

But at same time we knew the cull was coming as had been predicted we should have been prepared for it despite some thickets on here constantly attempting to sound "in the know".

Major disappointments for me personally was losing already some of our good youth. Despite the denial, Watt should have been a key player for years. I know O'Neill splits opinion but I think he'll be a loss and I'm aware there has been interest in Cadden and I hope we havent let him slip too.

For me it would have been better to go in to the new era around a core of our youngsters, Ferguson, ONeill, Stewart, Watt, Cadden and a returning Coogans. I'd have thought that would be easier and more efficient to rebuild around given our plan and resources. Have the club made a mistake not tieing those youngsters down to longer term contracts before unsettling them this season or was that part of the plan?

I've already said more enough on the defenders and captain, the lack of news on their departures scares me a lot but will just need to wait and see.

Having heard the chairman at the q+a speak passionately about Lithgow I'm maybe reading between the lines too much but I think he may be offered something. The chairman was very bullish on Faria too. Just as he was when proclaming EWB a genius. What scares me even more was his misty eyed defence of Sumsky. Am I reading too much in to it? What's the chances of us re-signing him as our no. 10?

Scary thought?

Whatever now, the new era is about to start. Let go of the past, let's hope Mr King can deliver a new team who can bring a reasonable crowd back in quickly

Hard to describe news of last night's news, the loss of Prunty on a personal level is painful as he has been so good with the younger fans. Lister's goals and production will be missed badly too. Also, we'll be making a few rivals stronger too. Rovers, Stenny and Forfar could really reap some rewards.

But at same time we knew the cull was coming as had been predicted we should have been prepared for it despite some thickets on here constantly attempting to sound "in the know".

Major disappointments for me personally was losing already some of our good youth. Despite the denial, Watt should have been a key player for years. I know O'Neill splits opinion but I think he'll be a loss and I'm aware there has been interest in Cadden and I hope we havent let him slip too.

For me it would have been better to go in to the new era around a core of our youngsters, Ferguson, ONeill, Stewart, Watt, Cadden and a returning Coogans. I'd have thought that would be easier and more efficient to rebuild around given our plan and resources. Have the club made a mistake not tieing those youngsters down to longer term contracts before unsettling them this season or was that part of the plan?

I've already said more enough on the defenders and captain, the lack of news on their departures scares me a lot but will just need to wait and see.

Having heard the chairman at the q+a speak passionately about Lithgow I'm maybe reading between the lines too much but I think he may be offered something. The chairman was very bullish on Faria too. Just as he was when proclaming EWB a genius. What scares me even more was his misty eyed defence of Sumsky. Am I reading too much in to it? What's the chances of us re-signing him as our no. 10?

Scary thought?

Whatever now, the new era is about to start. Let go of the past, let's hope Mr King can deliver a new team who can bring a reasonable crowd back in quickly

You summed it up better than I could.

I wouldn't say it's a particularly big risk releasing either player.

In an ideal world we'd keep Lister as he's a good player at this level and a fans favourite however in reality he's not even in the top 3 strikers in the league. Bearing in mind the club have ambitions of competing at the league above this he's not a great loss beyond this next season.

Prunty IMO was nowhere near as good this season as last so not convinced he has much to give football wise next season.

Thanks for the response.

I'd meant more that the move to FT was a risk, than releasing Prunty and Lister.

Although I would say that's a risky move, because is there anything like a guarantee that Airdrie will be able to recruit better strikers on whatever their budget is (unless they're flinging money at it), that are better than Prunty and Lister? It'll be interesting watching from the outside, that's for sure.

A returning Coogans sounds exactly like the much heralded return of McAleer. Both were lauded, both tried their luck elsewhere and failed. McAleer failed to hold down a place at East Fife before we signed him, Coogans failed to hold down a place at Brechin....

Yer man there above defending Faria is clearly an utter fruitcake. He does nothing that Nathan Blockley didn't do, only Nathan was younger, fitter and much cheaper.

A returning Coogans sounds exactly like the much heralded return of McAleer. Both were lauded, both tried their luck elsewhere and failed. McAleer failed to hold down a place at East Fife before we signed him, Coogans failed to hold down a place at Brechin....

Yer man there above defending Faria is clearly an utter fruitcake. He does nothing that Nathan Blockley didn't do, only Nathan was younger, fitter and much cheaper.

Started off well but you mentioned Blockley😂😂😂😂

I know I'm in a minority here but I think Faria is an asset. He only has one function and it is to stop the opposition attack playing. Every team needs someone like that. Others in the team can do the passing and dribbling ( hopefully).

Some people keep statistics and I'm sure they will demonstrate an improvement in our defence with him playing.

He also spends a lot of time organising those around him.

Don't get the faria/blockley comparison.

We can argue all day about faria's ability but he is there to sit in front of the back 4 and provide a shield letting other midfielders join the attack.

Blockley was a bit of a headless chicken constantly being dragged out of position chasing the ball all over the park. Like a Wee dug up the park chasing a stick.

Archived