Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Presumably because he had no intention of going full time and the club knew that?

Well better trying to keep a player than not trying at all. Also this rule only full time footballers is a joke the team in 90s had part timers.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What 2 in the league do you think are better if ones Rory McAllister I'm not surprised as he's on a grand a week.do you think the club are going to get a striker anywhere near as good as Lister.

McAllister, El Bakhtoui, Spence.

A grand a week :lol: Heard it all now.

I would really hope the club would be able to get a striker better than Lister if we have any hopes of promotion. As good as Lister was he certainly wasn't a goal scorer.

'Cause you said he would be. The board have read your ramblings and will do the opposite of everything you post.

You will be constantly monitored and even attempts at reverse psychology will be flagged and ignored.

You are in your own personal Truman show - the wages of being a gobshite.

Take your insults elsewhere it's a football forum. Well I was right about one signing :-) Lithgow.

McAllister, El Bakhtoui, Spence.

A grand a week :lol: Heard it all now.

I would really hope the club would be able to get a striker better than Lister if we have any hopes of promotion. As good as Lister was he certainly wasn't a goal scorer.

Local business pays his wages ask the Peterhead fans.

Well better trying to keep a player than not trying at all. Also this rule only full time footballers is a joke the team in 90s had part timers.

I just don't understand that logic that "trying to keep a player than not trying at all". How do you know that Lister wasn't offered a full time deal and rejected it?

Well, it's not a joke, it's a fairly sensible approach. No idea what relevance the 90s have to next season either tbh.

The meltdowns on Facebook are unbelievable.

What on earth were folk expecting? Lister to drop a full time career to play for Airdrie on £300 a week?

Presumably Prunty also has a full time career outside of football.

I wouldn't say it's a particularly big risk releasing either player.

In an ideal world we'd keep Lister as he's a good player at this level and a fans favourite however in reality he's not even in the top 3 strikers in the league. Bearing in mind the club have ambitions of competing at the league above this he's not a great loss beyond this next season.

Prunty IMO was nowhere near as good this season as last so not convinced he has much to give football wise next season.

Diamond Oracle hits the nail on the head twice. 

We all knew this was coming so not sure why everyone seems so shocked. I would have liked Lister to have stayed on but that was never going to happen given his age and occupation. 

Prunty was a good player but let's be honest, he's passed his best. We need to be bringing in better if we want to get promoted.

Both were good players and decent servants to the club. But let's not get too hyperbolic.

Presumably because he had no intention of going full time and the club knew that?

What 2 in the league do you think are better if ones Rory McAllister I'm not surprised as he's on a grand a week.do you think the club are going to get a striker anywhere near as good as Lister.

Hit the nail on the head. Yes it's sad that two fan favourites have left. But this point is being missed by certain fans. Lister would be on a substantial salary in his current job and playing football at his time of life would be a hobby which don't get me wrong he's not bad at. The club have set out some blue print for the future and even if lister and prunty were under 26 and there current situation was the same. Airdrie would have had to have paid fucking stupid Money to match there current salaries.

I fear we're starting to get to this 'player bigger than the club' pish again. Prunty and Lister were good during their time here but the meltdowns over their leaving are so far over the top. 

Both were good players and decent servants to the club. But let's not get too hyperbolic.

Thats a fairly big word for 22:34 on a Wednesday night.

I fear we're starting to get to this 'player bigger than the club' pish again. Prunty and Lister were good during their time here but the meltdowns over their leaving are so far over the top.

Thats a fairly big word for 22:34 on a Wednesday night.

Couldn't agree more.

At the end of next season, if who we signed hasn't reached the standards of lister and prunty. Then meltdown begin.

Its also frustrating the inability of some supporters comprehend the phrases "the aim is to have no one over 26" and "there will be no part time contracts".

So the fact 35 year-old Lister and 32 year-old Prunty haven't been offered contracts is hardly shocking, is it now? 

Couldn't agree more.

At the end of next season, if who we signed hasn't reached the standards of lister and prunty. Then meltdown begin.

so what do we do? Sign inferior players, then when it goes wrong just sit back and say unlucky. Will u honestly pay £16 every second week to watch worse than we got this season ?

Its also frustrating the inability of some supporters comprehend the phrases "the aim is to have no one over 26" and "there will be no part time contracts".

So the fact 35 year-old Lister and 32 year-old Prunty haven't been offered contracts is hardly shocking, is it now?

what is shocking is 33 yo Hugo , but then again hes a coach not a player. Aye right.

so what do we do? Sign inferior players, then when it goes wrong just sit back and say unlucky. Will u honestly pay £16 every second week to watch worse than we got this season ?

Would it not make sense to see who gets signed before greeting? How exactly do you know it's going to be worse that this season?

And yes, I probably will pay my £16, I've watched shit Airdrie teams in the past and no doubt I will in the future. You never know though, next seasons might not be one of them. Give them a chance, eh?

Lister is good, but hes 35 and has a stable job, meanwhile I think a lot of people are getting very misty eyed about run of the mill pros like Cox and Prunty because they are local lads. Nowhere near good enough to win this league, at least now with Prunty. Same with Fitzpatrick. Morton binned him. He'll do alright for a mid-table side in this division, thats his level.

Jimmy would have played with Bomber at Alloa and he lives locally so it would make sense.

He would be a solid addition but will probably get better money elsewhere.

Archived