Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

No matter what happens in the playoffs we seem to be in for big changes next season with the possibility of losing Ryan and Stewart and the rumours which won't go away concerning new ownership.

I just hope that none of the above will have any effect on our players.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rumours may not be going away, but they've also not developed or become noticeably more substantial since they first appeared.  I suppose you never can tell with these things, but if there was something to it, I'd have expected more to have dripped out by now. 

Today's the day then.

Since taking my advice and going 3 at the back we have made a bit of an improvent.  Indeed with McIntosh, Mensing and Gorman playing as a zonal back 3 we have won 3 and drawn 1 of our last 6 league games conceding 7 goals.    But that's not near perfect and hardly the head of steam usually associated with a team that needs to rattle off back to back double headers to go up.

AND THAT HAS TO BE OUR GOAL!

I'm not happy though as I didnt ask for a zonal defence.  I've repeatedly argued to go for a marker/sweeper set up at the back and far better and a real tightening up of our defensive roles and organisation.   Almost every goal conceded is a preventable sloppy mess.

If we get these simple things right we can do this!

Whether the DoF and manager are good enough...

My wee boy is due in Sept. I already cannae wait to get him in the Aces and get his season ticket. Hopefully by the time he's old enough we'll have a team worth cheering for. LoL.

Congratulations! I'm sure we will and hopefully will be able to convince mine back along too!!

Today's the day then.
Since taking my advice and going 3 at the back we have made a bit of an improvent.  Indeed with McIntosh, Mensing and Gorman playing as a zonal back 3 we have won 3 and drawn 1 of our last 6 league games conceding 7 goals.    But that's not near perfect and hardly the head of steam usually associated with a team that needs to rattle off back to back double headers to go up.
AND THAT HAS TO BE OUR GOAL!
I'm not happy though as I didnt ask for a zonal defence.  I've repeatedly argued to go for a marker/sweeper set up at the back and far better and a real tightening up of our defensive roles and organisation.   Almost every goal conceded is a preventable sloppy mess.
If we get these simple things right we can do this!
Whether the DoF and manager are good enough...

I've been hesitant on the play-offs. Too worried about our inconsistency and the clowns running the footballing side. Almost not wanting us to be there.

But you're right - we have to go for it. We have to get there. Another season in this league like this will finish some of us off.

We need every player working - the midfield can't go missing like Saturday. Let's hope it's one of those performances we know they are capable off.

Shame they've cancelled season tickets - might put a few fans off tonight. Surely a time to reward them...

They didn't 'cancel' season tickets, the facts are that a season ticket is valid for 18 home league games which have been played.

I think they could have done something to incentivise people to attend but they haven't so there's no point debating it now.

They didn't 'cancel' season tickets, the facts are that a season ticket is valid for 18 home league games which have been played.

I think they could have done something to incentivise people to attend but they haven't so there's no point debating it now.

So you dive in and have your say then declare no one else should now express theirs.

Jog on.

I've been hesitant on the play-offs. Too worried about our inconsistency and the clowns running the footballing side. Almost not wanting us to be there.

But you're right - we have to go for it. We have to get there. Another season in this league like this will finish some of us off.

We need every player working - the midfield can't go missing like Saturday. Let's hope it's one of those performances we know they are capable off.

Shame they've cancelled season tickets - might put a few fans off tonight. Surely a time to reward them...

They didn't cancel the season tickets!!!!it clearly says on the T&C's no Valid for cup or play off games!,All they had to do was lower it to 12 for adults,6 for Concessions and a quid for Children

They didn't cancel the season tickets!!!!it clearly says on the T&C's no Valid for cup or play off games!,All they had to do was lower it to 12 for adults,6 for Concessions and a quid for Children

As this five letter word seems to be getting everyone's panties in a bunch, I shall rephrase my clumsy wording.

It's a shame season tickets will not be valid and the gate price dropped for the general masses. It would have been a nice reward - which was the main point.

Uh oh, looks like you may have upset our 'insiders' on the forum making sure us pesky fans don't get out of hand. For whats its worth I think they should have been added to the season ticket as gesture of good will to the long suffering fans regardless of T&C's, opportunity missed.

However we do need to push for these play offs, if we want to attract better players and better sponsor who will pay better money we need out of this god forsaken league of purgatory. 

Uh oh, looks like you may have upset our 'insiders' on the forum making sure us pesky fans don't get out of hand. For whats its worth I think they should have been added to the season ticket as gesture of good will to the long suffering fans regardless of T&C's, opportunity missed.

However we do need to push for these play offs, if we want to attract better players and better sponsor who will pay better money we need out of this god forsaken league of purgatory. 

They do get themselves all aflap at times.

I'm now off to count the number of fucks I give - shan't take me long.

3 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

They do get themselves all aflap at times.

I'm now off to count the number of fucks I give - shan't take me long.

Try counting the number of letters in cancel while you're at it.

5 letter word indeed :lol:

I can't understand why there always seems to be the same arguments around our pricing.

The reason our prices are so high have been well discussed. If we could afford to lower them, we would do it for the 18 home league games and not simply a one off play off game.

You can't expect the club to make a loss simply to reward supporters (bear in mind SPFL take a chunk of the gates receipts for play offs also).

If supporting your team in a proportion play off isn't all the incentive you need for going along, I suggest football maybe isn't for you.

I fully appreciate that everyone's circumstances are different, however surely setting the ticket prices at, say £12, wouldn't allow somebody to attend the game who otherwise wouldn't have been able to go at £16.

ETA: I'm prepared to get slaughtered for this btw.

I can't understand why there always seems to be the same arguments around our pricing.

The reason our prices are so high have been well discussed. If we could afford to lower them, we would do it for the 18 home league games and not simply a one off play off game.

You can't expect the club to make a loss simply to reward supporters (bear in mind SPFL take a chunk of the gates receipts for play offs also).

If supporting your team in a proportion play off isn't all the incentive you need for going along, I suggest football maybe isn't for you.

I fully appreciate that everyone's circumstances are different, however surely setting the ticket prices at, say £12, wouldn't allow somebody to attend the game who otherwise wouldn't have been able to go at £16.

Leave the being slaughtered to me. I enjoy it.

16 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

There's no point slaughtering anyone over this. Everyone has their opinion and without knowing the actual financials no one can determine what a fair price would be. We've no idea what price would equate to a loss (unless someone actually does have that info?)

However after a sh1t season with potentially 2 huge home games now ahead, with a large number of lapsed and disgruntled supporters out there, with a lucrative(ish) promotion up for grabs at the end of it, where a big crowd may make a difference it would have been nice to see some kind of effort/gesture made by the club if at all possible.

Whilst I don't think reducing the admission prices to say £12 / £6 would have seen that much of an increase in tonight's crowd I do agree it would have been a nice gesture to thank the fans after a difficult season but we all know this was never going to happen. 

As for tonight's game. I expect we'll go with the same side and formation as Saturday. Hopefully we'll get a positive result to take to Alloa on Saturday. 

Archived