Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

1 hour ago, Airdrie76 said:

I liked the monkey watchers from back in the admin days (Gemmell/Barr's team). Whatever happened to them? 

Upon reflection, these all sound like rival gangs from The Warriors.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/7/2017 at 16:18, Chapelhall chap said:

Thoroughly deserved POTY to Andy Ryan who did the dutiful thing of saying it was a team game, even though I think without his (and Russell's goals) we would never have scraped in to the play offs. Scott Stewart also got the young player and he earned it despite some inconsistency. At least next year he won't be played at full back and Alan Cook has been relegated. I don't  accept this definition of "happy clapper"/ Realists as I have said in some other posts. Tam Cowan did have a wee dig about GD actually being in the stadium and most of the audience enjoyed that dig. MW played a low key part in the event. As an awards night it was not surprising that some happy photos were taken . though not of me. I  enjoyed the meal even if it meant missing my usual Curry As for staying away from nights such as this or indeed the games because our FT ownership promise has produced an erratic season, I can't help recollect how gutted I felt back in 2002 when the prospect of no club to support was a real threat, so I will continue to pay my money. I know that private ownership only leaves the customer with not paying into that particular business but I am emotionally attached to the idea of an Airdrie team.

Irrespective of who went/who didn't, the POTY night continues to be one of the biggest fundraisers for the Trust (which in my opinion, it should be renamed to 'Fundraising Dinner etc' or 'Hall of Fame night', instead of the Player of the Year night). Nearly £3k raised which will go towards funding free season tickets for kids next year.

POTY nights and the like aren't really my bag, and not really practical for me, so I don't go.  But people being grumpy about other people enjoying themselves at the POTY night - especially on the day we secured our best league finish in the four seasons we've been down in this league, and at least a shot at getting out of it - just strikes me as petty.  This season has been very disappointing in many ways, of course it has.  There are legitimate questions to be asked about the leadership and the direction of the club, of course there are.  But begrudging other people a fun night out (which as has been said, both happens at every club in the country, and is a vital source of funds for the good work the Trust does) isn't even proper old-style factionalism, it's just crabbit.  
Which is also fine, I'm a crabbit bugger myself at times.

24 minutes ago, Evil Jim Fenner said:

Irrespective of who went/who didn't, the POTY night continues to be one of the biggest fundraisers for the Trust (which in my opinion, it should be renamed to 'Fundraising Dinner etc' or 'Hall of Fame night', instead of the Player of the Year night). Nearly £3k raised which will go towards funding free season tickets for kids next year.

I think some folk were just being nasty about the PotY angle, just as we'd expect around a largely unhappy disfunctional club at present.

Water off a duck's back.

2 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

I think some folk were just being nasty about the PotY angle, just as we'd expect around a largely unhappy disfunctional club at present.

Water off a duck's back.

I know mate...not having a go at anyone. Completely understandable it's not everyones' bag. Just saying it's one of the biggest fundraisers, and an inevitable night in Diamonds.

1 minute ago, Evil Jim Fenner said:

I know mate...not having a go at anyone. Completely understandable it's not everyones' bag. Just saying it's one of the biggest fundraisers, and an inevitable night in Diamonds.

Call it the Hall of Fame night or end of season bash and deny the miserable tw@ts something to nark about

1 minute ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Call it the Hall of Fame night or end of season bash and deny the miserable tw@ts something to nark about

I prefer the hall of fame night myself. Was great to see John Flood there. Proper hero. Him and Stevie Gray made it one of the best inductee nights ever.

17 minutes ago, Evil Jim Fenner said:

I prefer the hall of fame night myself. Was great to see John Flood there. Proper hero. Him and Stevie Gray made it one of the best inductee nights ever.

Totally agree with you there.  Maybe I'm just remembering what I want, but even though the mid to late 80s weren't the most successful of eras we still have some utterly loveable players such as Flood, Gray, Balfour, Conn, McKeown, Grant, Martin, Black, Rodger, Christie, Templeton, Campbell, both the MacDonalds, McGuire, Nipper, McPhee.    Mibbee just not enough of them all at once?   :)

My kid has been utterly put off by drivel served up this season.

I won't be claiming a free season ticket next season. Probably won't sign up for aces either. I won't drag them along - they should be inspired to come.

Producing something on the park isn't just for the long suffering. Won't someone think of the children!!!!

28 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

PotY: It's a circle w**k over a poor team with an even worse manager.

That's not my bag, but whatever floats your boat......

10 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

My kid has been utterly put off by drivel served up this season.

I won't be claiming a free season ticket next season. Probably won't sign up for aces either. I won't drag them along - they should be inspired to come.

Producing something on the park isn't just for the long suffering. Won't someone think of the children!!!!

Nice to hear some positivity before the playoffs!! 

3 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

I won't be claiming a free season ticket next season. Probably won't sign up for aces either. 

My wee boy is due in Sept. I already cannae wait to get him in the Aces and get his season ticket. Hopefully by the time he's old enough we'll have a team worth cheering for. LoL.

Archived