Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

21 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

As for GD - he can **** off and keep ******* off when he gets there.

Hopefully the flat world theorists are right and Dalziel will find the edge then follow your advice.

As for pt v ft,  the players have always said being ft aids recovery between games.  It isn't so much about the amount of training.  Any pt player worth his salt would do a run or visit a gym on the off days. 

But the timing of the news leaks is bizarre given we're practically in the playoffs.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I thought there was a lot more? Aye I'm quite impressed with 4 then. Cool as f... emoji41.png

5 out of 6 if you include Eric Idle of Monty Python fame (I assume you've heard of Eric Idle).

2 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

That said, I've never heard of this Kevin Pollak before.   Something fishy about this one, maybe he's the next SNP leader?

Todd Hockney from The Usual Suspects (amongst other things).

Cooler than Hammill or Shatner imo...but only because I don't like Sci Fi and anyone in The Usual Suspects is cool as f**k.

Who was he in the usual suspects?

I know who luke skywalker is or was but no idea who plays him these days- not watched Star Wars since primary (like any self respecting adult [emoji14])

Edit just seen he was "Todd Hockney" can't mind him will check later.

2 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Who was he in the usual suspects?

I know who luke skywalker is or was but no idea who plays him these days- not watched Star Wars since primary (like any self respecting adult emoji14.png)

Edit just seen he was "Todd Hockney" can't mind him will check later.

Mark Hamill played Luke Skywalker in all of the Star Wars films in which the character featured with the exception of Revenge of the Sith (basicaly 'cause Luke was a baby in that one and I doubt Hamill could pull that off).

Pollak is the guy on the left hand side of the line up in this clip from the Usual Suspects (contains swearing).

On 02/05/2017 at 16:39, DestroyedByMadness said:

The guy who originally posted isn't a zoomer tbf.

Fair enough. I would still take anything posted on Facebook or the Stomp with a large dose of salt though.

1 hour ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Absolutely.   But most often theres no smoke without fire.

Yes, in the past stories have been circulated before some kind of announcement which makes the news more palatable.

4 minutes ago, Nipper said:

Yes, in the past stories have been circulated before some kind of announcement which makes the news more palatable.

Tbh Nipper,  I've been at the apathetic stage for a long time now,  you hear stories every week now.   I'd love supporting Airdrie to be enjoyable again.

4 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Tbh Nipper,  I've been at the apathetic stage for a long time now,  you hear stories every week now.   I'd love supporting Airdrie to be enjoyable again.

The problem, I think, is the fact that we've been in this division too long with no prospect of recovering from the managed decline. When Wotherspoon took over I thought we had a chance to break out of the cycle we were in however without going over it all it hasn't happened.

Even before Jake Dalziel's money Airdrie could always operate at a decent level without breaking the bank. It was a simple operation where they concentrated completely on the first team, had a fantastic scouting system where they signed the best juniors and free transfers along with promising local boys from the Academy, St Margaret's and Caldervale who were farmed out to junior clubs to develop. All very simple and uncomplicated but it worked for years. I know we live in different times but the Hamilton model which our chairman admires so much, for me was something that happens once in a blue moon and won't be repeated in our lifetime.

One last thing, I've come to the conclusion and I suppose others have too that Gordon Dalziel's main role as director of football Is one where he simply represents T W in whatever capacity required at the football club.

On 5/3/2017 at 08:18, DestroyedByMadness said:

Hopefully the flat world theorists are right and Dalziel will find the edge then follow your advice.

As for pt v ft,  the players have always said being ft aids recovery between games.  It isn't so much about the amount of training.  Any pt player worth his salt would do a run or visit a gym on the off days. 

But the timing of the news leaks is bizarre given we're practically in the playoffs.

Back to the PT v FT issue and note that a full time team from league 1 is getting promoted and a part time side from the championship is heading down.This has more often than not been the norm. 

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Back to the PT v FT issue and note that a full time team from league 1 is getting promoted and a part time side from the championship is heading down.This has more often than not been the norm. 

It'll continue to be that way too Kenny,  patterns constantly repeat themselves especially if you look at the norms rather than the exceptions

The obvious thing about ft status > pt, is the quality it gets you rather thannjust the training patterns.    If you were part time with £600/week players you'd be as good as any f/t with the same budget.   But it's not like that,    If Airdrie go back to pt at Airdrie under Ballantyne you go back to a £2150/week budget with some schoolkids earning £10/week at fullback and older boys on £20/week at centrehalf, whilst trying to sign experienced players on £50/week to revive your fortunes.  

That wasnt a guess btw,  we had O'Neill and Drummond in defence at Ibrox one night earning £30/week between them and Jimmy Boyle trying to sign JohnPaul McGovern for £50/week back in Oct 2013.

1 hour ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

That wasnt a guess btw,  we had O'Neill and Drummond in defence at Ibrox one night earning £30/week between them and Jimmy Boyle trying to sign JohnPaul McGovern for £50/week back in Oct 2013.

Seriously!

I remember Willie McGuire telling me that he could make £200 per week when he played (70's/80's). Two nights training and a win at the weekend although the win bonus was dependent on the opposition/league position etc

19 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Seriously!

Seriously.

Bear in mind that under Boyle and Bollan guys like Bain, McLaren etc., were on double figure wages.

We'd be back to that level topped up with u20s playing for a bag of haribos and the chance to say they're a "pro footballer".

Why do you think I always defended guys like Boyle and Sandy?

Archived