Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

Interesting question about who we'd keep...

Ferguson  - Hung out to dry a bit this year. Maybe the makings of a good 'keeper in there but certainly not a number 1 at this stage. Even with his awful distribution, I'd have Parry ahead of him any day.

McDonald - I just don't think he's a defender. Much better going forward than defending but probably not good enough with the final ball to be a winger. Reminds me a bit of Jamie Bain, without the diving and the goals.

Gorman - has a little pedigree from the younger days and I guess that's why he was took on. One of our "damaged goods" signings we hope to turn around and sell on for a profit. Aint going to happen. He's been very poor every time I've seen him. His problems seem to stem from a lack of confidence or mental fortitude. Either way I'd not be bothered if we let him go.

Mensing - Boy at the football said to me "he was pish 15 years ago and he's got worse". Enough said. Tattie-bye.

McIntosh - Sometimes gets lost, sometimes plays really well. Raw but probably done enough to outshine the shite that he's played alongside. Keep. 

Boateng - Another damaged goods signing. Another who clearly wont make it. Though I doubt he lacks confidence, just ability. Sadly for him, you don't make it in this game just by being big and black.

Fitzpatrick - would have been glad to see hi go last year. Nothing has changed. Sounds harsh with the injury and all, but let's be truthful, he's not a stand out.

Hutton - Will get released and we'll probably get him. Totally unconvinced. If Fitzpatrick comes back they're the same player. Nah, not for me.

Conroy - Has some ability occasionaly. Has no confidence in himself and that's been the mark of his career. If you go into a fight without believing you can win, then you've lost. Too often a passenger. Squad player for me, only to see if we can eek something out of him.

Brown - There's possibly a player in there - has his coaching sideline outside football and desperate to stay injury free, hence his shiteing every tackle. If we had a decent squad of grafters who could boss the midfield then he's the type of player you'd have as a sub who might be able to change things. First team regular - no way.

Leitch - Passenger. He's been that anonymous I couldn't tell you what he looks like. I'm in the game more often than him. Not good enough.

Stewart - Hmmmm. Languid running style can be off putting but has a decent engine. Prone to mistakes and not sure if he has found his correct position. Again, squad player. Might be knocking at the door but he's nowhere near the any of our better midfield players of the last 5 years. I'd keep him, but I'd still be looking to bring in better.

McKay - Won't be staying, won't be missed. Maybe our style never suited him. I saw flashes, but no more.

McGregor - Unconvincing. Bye.

Russell - So disappointing. His demeanor has been poor. Bad attitude towards refs, diving about all over the shop. Still....has a decent return of goals (overlooking the PK tally). I'd keep him as a squad player. Has experience to pass on. Not a first team regular IMO.

Ryan - 5 year deal. 

Dalziel and Wilson - Taken to the top of the Holehills flats and fired out a canon towards the moon.

Now, some will say I'm overly harsh here. But that's my honest appraisal. That's borne out by how far we are behind the other F/T team in the league. Most of our players wouldn't start for some of the P/T teams. Unfortunately, after last summers turmoil, another similar approach is needed, only this time without the chairman's "mates" pulling the strings.

Will take a wee bit of time to consider your comments but if many of them are on another year deal, does the Club break it or engineer a move elsewhere for them. As for Dalziel and Wilson why wait till night time? I think some of them would have started for PT teams with appropriate coaching apart from Mensing/Boateng. You might be a bit critical of Fitzpatrick but our best spell of points gathering came when he was there? I would keep the ones underlined.

What players would you all suggest we sign next season if in league 1 that would be realistic signing targets ?

I pay so little attention to football these days I probably couldn't name a player from another team outside the premier league and championship so I've no idea. I know dross when I see it though [emoji106]

What players would you all suggest we sign next season if in league 1 that would be realistic signing targets ?

Albion Rovers - Wallace, Stewart x2 (GK & forward)

East Fife - One of their centre halfs (possibly Kerr?)

Stenny - Futardo. Looks an upgrade on Brown.

QP - Don't know much about their team, but their youngster Liam Brown has impressed me before.

Stranraer - Again don't know much about their team but the young Kyle Turner looked quite a tidy player.

Brechin - Liam Watt.

Peterhead - Always though Leighton McIntosh looked a good player but doesn't get into the Peterhead side.

Alloa - There's a handful of players I'd take from Alloa but unlikely we'd get any of them.

Livi - Again a handful that would improve our squad but it reality we'd only get any of their cast offs (Crichton maybe?)

Given that we are 99.9% certain we'll be in League 1 again, there's no way we'll have a cull of the players who are on 2 year deals.

Hutton, Leitch, Boateng, Mensing, McGregor will go.

Brown doesn't fit in anywhere, like Russell, he's superstar against poor teams but goes awol when we need to roll our sleeves up.

Priorites:  Goalie,  at least 1 central defender who can actually defend,  midfield ballwinner, winger/fullback.  

I'd prefer we stay 343/352 type set up as we have players like Gorman and McDonald who cant defend in a back 4.

Ross Stewart the Rovers goalie and midfielder Gary Fisher could be good additions.  I'd swallow my pride and say Crighton (I didnt like him in a back 4 and he has some real flaws but he can win a ball in the air and is a good leader) could really help a back three that would need to include Gorman, McIntosh and maybe Cairns as back up.

We'd also need a wingback to allow Stewart to play through the middle.  We had O'Neill and Bain previously who could do that and I dont know why Truesdale isnt getting looked at.

Given likely budget team could look like;

RStewart

McIntosh Crighton Gorman

(Bain type) Fisher Conroy McDonald

Stewart

Ryan and Russell

Subs from:  Rohan, Cairns, Fitz, Truesdale, Leighton, McLaughlin, Thomson

Albion Rovers - Wallace, Stewart x2 (GK & forward)

East Fife - One of their centre halfs (possibly Kerr?)

Stenny - Futardo. Looks an upgrade on Brown.

QP - Don't know much about their team, but their youngster Liam Brown has impressed me before.

Stranraer - Again don't know much about their team but the young Kyle Turner looked quite a tidy player.

Brechin - Liam Watt.

Peterhead - Always though Leighton McIntosh looked a good player but doesn't get into the Peterhead side.

Alloa - There's a handful of players I'd take from Alloa but unlikely we'd get any of them.

Livi - Again a handful that would improve our squad but it reality we'd only get any of their cast offs (Crichton maybe?)

You lost me at Liam Watt!

8 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

:lol:

Give me a break, had to really wrack my brain there. He's Certainly a more handy player than Hutton, and can play out wide better than say Iain Russell who has played there a lot of the season.

Given what happened I dont think we'd need to worry about him ever coming back regardless how good we think he is, or not.

However, if he was to be driven through Airdrie hanging out of a car in a state of arousal with his gland in one hand ferociously digitally oscillating himself and his phone in the other sending sectarian tweets then he'd probably have half a chance at a 2 year deal.

Given what happened I dont think we'd need to worry about him ever coming back regardless how good we think he is, or not.
However, if he was to be driven through Airdrie hanging out of a car in a state of arousal with his gland in one hand ferociously digitally oscillating himself and his phone in the other sending sectarian tweets then he'd probably have half a chance at a 2 year deal.

What a thought as I enjoy my morning coffee!

As has already been said we will be stuck with the guys who have a year left on their contracts unless another club comes in for them which is unlikely apart from Ryan.

I would expect Mensing, Boateng, probably Leitch and the loan players to leave. Not sure what contracts others are on. I've not seen enough of the U20's to say who could push for a first team place. McLaughlin looked okay when given a chance this season. Leighton showed some promise from the bench on the few chances he's had. The rest haven't really had a look in.

I think we need to sign a new goalie, 2 full backs (if we revert to a back 4), at least 1 central defender, a couple of midfielders (ideally a ball winner) and a striker. 

Feel some people are being a bit harsh on Conroy. I accept that often he is not involved enough but he can pass a ball and that type of player is needed.

Some of the changes will take care of themselves (loan players returning) but the biggest change required is in the management team.

Feel some people are being a bit harsh on Conroy. I accept that often he is not involved enough but he can pass a ball and that type of player is needed.
Some of the changes will take care of themselves (loan players returning) but the biggest change required is in the management team.

Have to say I'm with you on that one. If I had to choose I would probably keep (in no particular order): Conroy, Stewart, Ryan, Russell, Macdonald, McIntosh and Brown (providing we sign someone who is willing to put in the tackles he shites out of every week. He needs a workhorse beside him).

I feel for Rohan - we've asked too much of him this year. We need an experienced keeper and to bring him on a bit more.

18 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

Interesting question about who we'd keep...

Ferguson  - Hung out to dry a bit this year. Maybe the makings of a good 'keeper in there but certainly not a number 1 at this stage. Even with his awful distribution, I'd have Parry ahead of him any day.

McDonald - I just don't think he's a defender. Much better going forward than defending but probably not good enough with the final ball to be a winger. Reminds me a bit of Jamie Bain, without the diving and the goals.

Gorman - has a little pedigree from the younger days and I guess that's why he was took on. One of our "damaged goods" signings we hope to turn around and sell on for a profit. Aint going to happen. He's been very poor every time I've seen him. His problems seem to stem from a lack of confidence or mental fortitude. Either way I'd not be bothered if we let him go.

Mensing - Boy at the football said to me "he was pish 15 years ago and he's got worse". Enough said. Tattie-bye.

McIntosh - Sometimes gets lost, sometimes plays really well. Raw but probably done enough to outshine the shite that he's played alongside. Keep. 

Boateng - Another damaged goods signing. Another who clearly wont make it. Though I doubt he lacks confidence, just ability. Sadly for him, you don't make it in this game just by being big and black.

Fitzpatrick - would have been glad to see hi go last year. Nothing has changed. Sounds harsh with the injury and all, but let's be truthful, he's not a stand out.

Hutton - Will get released and we'll probably get him. Totally unconvinced. If Fitzpatrick comes back they're the same player. Nah, not for me.

Conroy - Has some ability occasionaly. Has no confidence in himself and that's been the mark of his career. If you go into a fight without believing you can win, then you've lost. Too often a passenger. Squad player for me, only to see if we can eek something out of him.

Brown - There's possibly a player in there - has his coaching sideline outside football and desperate to stay injury free, hence his shiteing every tackle. If we had a decent squad of grafters who could boss the midfield then he's the type of player you'd have as a sub who might be able to change things. First team regular - no way.

Leitch - Passenger. He's been that anonymous I couldn't tell you what he looks like. I'm in the game more often than him. Not good enough.

Stewart - Hmmmm. Languid running style can be off putting but has a decent engine. Prone to mistakes and not sure if he has found his correct position. Again, squad player. Might be knocking at the door but he's nowhere near the any of our better midfield players of the last 5 years. I'd keep him, but I'd still be looking to bring in better.

McKay - Won't be staying, won't be missed. Maybe our style never suited him. I saw flashes, but no more.

McGregor - Unconvincing. Bye.

Russell - So disappointing. His demeanor has been poor. Bad attitude towards refs, diving about all over the shop. Still....has a decent return of goals (overlooking the PK tally). I'd keep him as a squad player. Has experience to pass on. Not a first team regular IMO.

Ryan - 5 year deal. 

Dalziel and Wilson - Taken to the top of the Holehills flats and fired out a canon towards the moon.

Now, some will say I'm overly harsh here. But that's my honest appraisal. That's borne out by how far we are behind the other F/T team in the league. Most of our players wouldn't start for some of the P/T teams. Unfortunately, after last summers turmoil, another similar approach is needed, only this time without the chairman's "mates" pulling the strings.

I think that you are a bit harsh although agreeing with a lot of what you say. By your reckoning only Ryan deserves a starting place! We have to remember that this is the Scottish First Division. Earlier in the season we were attacking pretty well and being let down by the defence. Following the change of regime everyone seems rotten now. I am sure that a number of our players can do better with decent management. If I'm wrong the Chairman will need to find an awful lot of money to sign virtually a full squad!

The only players that I would give pass marks to (for the season) are Ryan (player of the year), Stewart, Conroy, McIntosh and Russell (for his goals not his overall play). These guys have played at a decent standard throughout the season. Others such as Gorman, Leitch, MacDonald, Brown and possibly even Ferguson have been up and down but overall haven't been consistent enough. Not sure they can improve that much. 

The likes of Boateng, Mensing, MacKay and McGregor (I'm sure I've missed some out) have been useless. 

The only players that I would give pass marks to (for the season) are Ryan (player of the year), Stewart, Conroy, McIntosh and Russell (for his goals not his overall play). These guys have played at a decent standard throughout the season. Others such as Gorman, Leitch, MacDonald, Brown and possibly even Ferguson have been up and down but overall haven't been consistent enough. Not sure they can improve that much. 
The likes of Boateng, Mensing, MacKay and McGregor (I'm sure I've missed some out) have been useless. 

TBH Boateng has been a scapegoat he's pish aye but I would have to say gormans no any better

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Archived