Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

I'm at the stage I desperately want us promoted.   It scares the shit out of me right enough to do a 2011 or whatever and go up to completely embarrass ourselves with an inadequate squad.    I just cant stand seeing us struggle so badly for a crowd in this league any longer.   Playing for 500 odd souls at this time of year is breaking my heart.    We desperately need to get out of this league.

I've said all season I trust the majority of our players.   Games like Saturday you can see the quality we can show.  Against LIVVY a few weeks ago it was a string of errors that done us again like it has all season.

I know we have the quality of players to win a playoff,  for me, all our problems are from poor management and organisation, coupled with a few questionable attitudes.

When I watch us play I see a team clearly with potential to do better but with the same fatal flaws every week.

We can do this but for me a few things need ironed out.  

Firstly  we need to iron out the defence.   As I said before I dont think Rohan,  McIntosh and Gorman are the main problem.   Those kids were so raw at the start of the season it's clear they should never have been put there in those positions as they were.  That was on the Black King but f**k them, they're gone.  We need/needed experience to bring them on.   But all 3 have been handled really poorly and unfortunately in some eyes they're mostly broken.   Even young McGregor, who looks a useful asset who we could maybe sign has been handled poorly.

If we are to make it beyond the playoff we need to sort out the defence.   At the moment our biggest flaw is clearly Mensing.   Several games now he has been terribly susceptible to a long ball down the middle.   Other teams are clearly targetting him.   He is terrible on the turn, has no pace and is really poor in the air.   Our defensive shape isn't helping him either.   Our defence is told to play flat and zonal.   When Mensing is targetted he gets no support, especially from a shellshocked goalie whom he constantly berates.

If I'm an opposition manager I'm feeding Mensing a diet of long searing punts with a mobile enough frontman pressing him.  

Or we go man for man at the back and play with some depth?

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm at the stage I desperately want us promoted.   It scares the shit out of me right enough to do a 2011 or whatever and go up to completely embarrass ourselves with an inadequate squad.    I just cant stand seeing us struggle so badly for a crowd in this league any longer.   Playing for 500 odd souls at this time of year is breaking my heart.    We desperately need to get out of this league.
I've said all season I trust the majority of our players.   Games like Saturday you can see the quality we can show.  Against LIVVY a few weeks ago it was a string of errors that done us again like it has all season.
I know we have the quality of players to win a playoff,  for me, all our problems are from poor management and organisation, coupled with a few questionable attitudes.
When I watch us play I see a team clearly with potential to do better but with the same fatal flaws every week.
We can do this but for me a few things need ironed out.  
Firstly  we need to iron out the defence.   As I said before I dont think Rohan,  McIntosh and Gorman are the main problem.   Those kids were so raw at the start of the season it's clear they should never have been put there in those positions as they were.  That was on the Black King but f**k them, they're gone.  We need/needed experience to bring them on.   But all 3 have been handled really poorly and unfortunately in some eyes they're mostly broken.   Even young McGregor, who looks a useful asset who we could maybe sign has been handled poorly.
If we are to make it beyond the playoff we need to sort out the defence.   At the moment our biggest flaw is clearly Mensing.   Several games now he has been terribly susceptible to a long ball down the middle.   Other teams are clearly targetting him.   He is terrible on the turn, has no pace and is really poor in the air.   Our defensive shape isn't helping him either.   Our defence is told to play flat and zonal.   When Mensing is targetted he gets no support, especially from a shellshocked goalie whom he constantly berates.
If I'm an opposition manager I'm feeding Mensing a diet of long searing punts with a mobile enough frontman pressing him.  
Or we go man for man at the back and play with some depth?

I think we all want to be promoted. The thing that scares me most about promotion is that we would be going into the championship with Mark Wilson in charge and Gordon Daziel doing whatever he wants.

1 hour ago, Diamond8 said:

I think we all want to be promoted. The thing that scares me most about promotion is that we would be going into the championship with Mark Wilson in charge and Gordon Daziel doing whatever he wants.

I alluded in my longer post this morning that this scenario scares me but we had Jobby McCall's run in 2001, it is possible to put a new team together.

When Boyle put the 2011 (?) squad together we had already signed a team for D2 then got in via the back door.

I think we need to get up then worry about it.   If we get up we'd need to sign around half a dozen solid D1 players though.   

Could we see a repeat of 2012?  We were pretty much out of it in March, way down in 7th place, but a great finish saw us make the playoffs in 4th place and the joy of beating our old pals Ayr United at Somerset Park.  The agony of losing to the Sons in the final turned to joy as a certain Glasgow club went bust and we went up.  We can but hope!!!

I don't know anyone that took joy in any of our promotions or relegation savings as a result of Falkirk (I think) and rangers. It was embarrassing relying on others' demises to do what we should have done by ourselves.

I don't know anyone that took joy in any of our promotions or relegation savings as a result of Falkirk (I think) and rangers. It was embarrassing relying on others' demises to do what we should have done by ourselves.

Off the top of my head was it not Livi instead of Falkirk?

I certainly wasn't complaining at the time or feeling embarrassed. I was hoping it would be a springboard to a touch of prosperity, perhaps even a little extra investment.

I too am sick and tired of low quality League One fitbaw. Let's have some Championship glamour for a change ;)

I too am sick and tired of low quality League One fitbaw. Let's have some Championship glamour for a change [emoji6]

I'm with you, it's getting a bit boring getting scudded repeatedly off Stenny. Let's get us up so we can get scudded repeatedly off Dumbarton!!!

In all seriousness, it's getting a bit stagnant down here and a change of scenery would certainly be welcome.

Looking toward next season, I really hope that the rumours about Dalziel and Wilson being offered 2 year contracts are wrong. I could just about stomach Wilson being retained but only as a number 2 to a decent manager so he could learn properly. Dalziel in my opinion is a disaster and the fact that he doesn't turn up to matches is a disgrace. Wilson is left with all the responsibility on match day which is unfair given his lack of experience.

I'm glad to see that some people are coming round to Russell. It seems to me that is not a coincidence that he now playing as a striker. He did play on the left when he was younger but that's not appropriate for him now.

I alluded in my longer post this morning that this scenario scares me but we had Jobby McCall's run in 2001, it is possible to put a new team together.
When Boyle put the 2011 (?) squad together we had already signed a team for D2 then got in via the back door.
I think we need to get up then worry about it.   If we get up we'd need to sign around half a dozen solid D1 players though.   

You just have to look at Ayr, they have guys like Harkins and Balatoni- even Ross Docherty would be a solid D1 player. I think it would take a lot more.

Thought that Brechin came looking for a draw on Saturday (slow keeper before we scored, ironic what happened later).

Hopefully Alloa do the same in two weeks, Should surely beat Stranraer & QP (to make sure?) so would be happy if the Fifers are out of it in 3 weeks.

Think Raith will be only team above Ayr we would beat in a play off.

Over two games with the right approach should beat any of the others in our league. However, this is Airdrie & can take nothing for granted.

Let's worry about the play offs (and promotion) if we get there. 4 tough games to go and we've not exactly been playing great stuff and winning every week. Saturday was a big improvement on recent weeks though and we seem to have stopped the run of bad results so I'm hopeful we'll make the top 4. I've not looked at any of the other side's fixtures but we might have to win 3 out of our last 4 games. 

45 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

You just have to look at Ayr, they have guys like Harkins and Balatoni- even Ross Docherty would be a solid D1 player. I think it would take a lot more.

Must admit I was really disappointed when we played them this season.   Didn't look a championship outfit.

Docherty is a fine player (except for his premeditated assault on taylor morgan last year) but as we've seen it takes more than 1man to make a team.

2 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I'm with you, it's getting a bit boring getting scudded repeatedly off Stenny. Let's get us up so we can get scudded repeatedly off Dumbarton!!!

Just knowing that it's now a Championship side who are gubbing us would be a big enough boner for me!

◇◇◇

Archived