Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Did they not have a manager resign at half time a couple of years ago when they were getting humped about 7-0 or something?  

As for Mensing, yes - get him chased.  We knew his legs had gone, but I'd hoped his experience might give some stability and organisation at the back.  Hasn't really happened, and our defence is at least as garbage as it was without him.  

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Did they not have a manager resign at half time a couple of years ago when they were getting humped about 7-0 or something?  

As for Mensing, yes - get him chased.  We knew his legs had gone, but I'd hoped his experience might give some stability and organisation at the back.  Hasn't really happened, and our defence is at least as garbage as it was without him.  

Would honestly prefer to have Boateng in their making a coo's arse of it than Mensing tbh, at least that way we get a chuckle at his comedy 'defending' style 

1 hour ago, WeeDiamond90 said:

Would honestly prefer to have Boateng in their making a coo's arse of it than Mensing tbh, at least that way we get a chuckle at his comedy 'defending' style 

Couldn't agree more. My personal favourite is his attempt to pass a dead ball 10 yards. 

Can't see MW bringing Bo back in; his last appearance I think was up front at brechin and he fell over the only ball he got near. Agree about Mensing who has added very little. Might go with McIntosh/McGregor/Gorman in 3--4-3. Our manager will not get it wrong now?

After all the publicity the club received with the strips with Marks' face on them, I was contacted by the family of an ex player...Lawrie Leslie...who played for Airdrie from 1959-1961. He is widely regarded as one of the club's best ever players, and is already inducted in the Hall of Fame.

He signed from Hibs, then left Airdrie to join West Ham, where he was awarded Hammer of the year in 1962. He also played for Stoke, Millwall and ended his career at Southend.

He was also capped for Scotland 5 times while with Airdrie, and should have played in the game we got beat 9-3 at Wembley, but was injured in the week leading up to it.

Now living in Kent with his family, 82 year old Lawrie lives with mild dementia, but still keeps an eye out for the scores of Airdrie and his former teams.

Here he is...resplendent in his new Airdrie strip, and holding his Hall of Fame trophy that was presented to him by the Club and Trust a few years ago.

17758302_10154566726337252_3046340274598

4 minutes ago, waysider said:

Lawrie was the best keeper I ever saw at Broomfield. His performance at Motherwell in the cup quarter final is my all time favourite memory as an Airdrie supporter.

Yes in that short spell indeed and I believe he had been given a free transfer by Hibs in those pre Bosman days. I also remember that Cup game -great days indeed.

On 03/04/2017 at 18:43, Chapelhall chap said:

Can't see MW bringing Bo back in; his last appearance I think was up front at brechin and he fell over the only ball he got near. Agree about Mensing who has added very little. Might go with McIntosh/McGregor/Gorman in 3--4-3. Our manager will not get it wrong now?

McIntosh/McGregor/Gorman seems like the best option. They're probably our 3 'best' defenders and at least two of them will be around next season (I think Gorman has another year) so we'd be as well sticking with them until the end of the season. 

21 hours ago, waysider said:

Lawrie was the best keeper I ever saw at Broomfield. His performance at Motherwell in the cup quarter final is my all time favourite memory as an Airdrie supporter.

Motherwell had at least 6 internationals playing for them that day.

21 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Yes in that short spell indeed and I believe he had been given a free transfer by Hibs in those pre Bosman days. I also remember that Cup game -great days indeed.

Don't know if it was a free or not, I had it in my mind that it was £1500. Anyway we were only able to get him because Hibs thought he was finished after a bad injury.

36 minutes ago, Nipper said:

Don't know if it was a free or not, I had it in my mind that it was £1500. Anyway we were only able to get him because Hibs thought he was finished after a bad injury.

It was a long time ago and maybe it was an urban myth I remembered. He had a bad injury indeed but we got the benefit. Would I believe a Wikipedia search?

1 hour ago, Nipper said:

Motherwell had at least 6 internationals playing for them that day.

I can remember 5 of them. The most famous was Iain StJohn. There was also Quinn, Hunter, McCann and Martis. Not bad for a provincial team. They had humped Rangers 5-2 at Ibrox in previous round.

Better 'last of the summer wine" reminiscing than thinking about the present lot.

3 hours ago, airdrieman said:

McIntosh/McGregor/Gorman seems like the best option. They're probably our 3 'best' defenders and at least two of them will be around next season (I think Gorman has another year) so we'd be as well sticking with them until the end of the season. 

McGregor has been unconvincing gave away the penalty at Brechin and was also poor against Livingston. 

1 minute ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Which of our centre backs have been convincing, though?  Go on, I'll wait. 

McIntosh has been a success this season and I would choose him over McGregor as McIntosh doesn't make as many mistakes and has also shown he can score at the other end also. McIntosh is a product of Airdrie and I believe he will get better.

Gorman is on a 2 year contract and yes he has made mistakes however I believe Gorman is a better defender than both Mensing and McGregor. Gorman has put in some very good performances and I know some people may respond with he's had bad games also. However how many good games have McGregor and Mensing had ?

4 hours ago, airdrieman said:

McIntosh/McGregor/Gorman seems like the best option. They're probably our 3 'LEAST WORST' defenders and at least two of them will be around next season (I think Gorman has another year) so we'd be as well sticking with them until the end of the season. 

think "least worst" rather than best?

I really don't like our "zonal" style of back 3,  really needs to be markers/sweeper.    Leave McIntosh to be the free man, and give Gorman and McGregor marking duties.

The zonal style cost us the goal at Peterhead.   In that situation you don't want your defenders to be "square".   You could see clear as day that if McAllister got by Mensing, which he'd done previously, he was clean through.   If Gorman is marking McAllister and Mensing is spare, then it's a much more difficult proposition.

Would you take Mccormack back at airdrie? He will no doubt be available come the end of the season and must be better than you have

It's a no from me. While he wasn't terrible it would be a real step in the wrong direction, especially given the recruitment shambles we've suffered this season.

42 minutes ago, Overthehedge1 said:

Would you take Mccormack back at airdrie? He will no doubt be available come the end of the season and must be better than you have

His nickname was "Dazaster".   He couldn't defend and only became passable when hidden in a centre mid role beside the vastly superior Craig Barr.

However the Dazaster himself made no secret that the synthetic pitch was wrecking his fragile back.

Doesn't matter what we think,  the player himself would thankfully veto the move.

Chris O'Neill would've been a different answer though but I'll be in a minority on here.

Archived