Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Oh do I wish Dundee United had bought Ferguson. But it looks like someone had a sanity check and dismissed the thought of bidding for a goalkeeper based on a single performance (against them). Unfortunately, we promoted him to number 1 based on that single performance and we're counting the cost.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, AFC1878 said:

I was speaking to a guy in a suit yesterday (not sure who he was) He seemed to think that neither Dalziel or Wilson were contracted to, or being paid by the club. He also said that Wotherspoon could cut his losses and walk away at the end of the season.

Sheena Hannaway/Mrs Wilson says Wilson is only paid expenses. If that's the case it should be easy to get shot of the pair (although unfortunately we haven't done so already).

34 minutes ago, AFC1878 said:

I was speaking to a guy in a suit yesterday (not sure who he was) He seemed to think that neither Dalziel or Wilson were contracted to, or being paid by the club. He also said that Wotherspoon could cut his losses and walk away at the end of the season.

FFS. What a lot of absolute shite. A man in a suit?!? As if by wearing a suit that makes him either more knowledgeable or credible.

We should be careful what we wish for. As much as it's been absolutely shambolic, where do we go if TW walks? I don't see too many wealthy businessmen forming an orderly queue to take over us. JB opened the club up to offers about 5 years ago and there wasn't exactly a plethora of bids.

14 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Oh do I wish Dundee United had bought Ferguson. But it looks like someone had a sanity check and dismissed the thought of bidding for a goalkeeper based on a single performance (against them). Unfortunately, we promoted him to number 1 based on that single performance and we're counting the cost.

Aye mate. It's all a young 'keepers fault.

Have a word with yourself. Manuel Neuer would look dreadful with the defense our 'keeper has got to work with. 

Yes, he's been at fault a few times but the vast, vast majority of the goals we concede are due to our utterly dreadful defending. I'm not a massive fan of the 'keeper but to single him out as the problem when you look at what's in front of him is completely misplaced.

Agree with you about the man in the suit and what happens if TW walks.

Hope he won't. I think he has done his sums and won't be losing too much. I don't think he has exceeded budgets. Remember what had to be done by getting rid of players before we could bring others in at the window. However, my main concern about him leaving is that he doesn't care to be criticised and there's been plenty of that.

I accept what you say about the shambles in front of Ferguson but as I've posted elsewhere he deserves special mention.

3 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

Aye mate. It's all a young 'keepers fault.

Didn't say it was all his fault. And if I started on the defence then we'd be here all day.  But he has been a contributor - be it because of a loss of form because of what's in front of him or perhaps because he's not good enough (at the moment) and shouldn't have been promoted to number 1 based on that one game.

But in the spirt of friendship with you as my new mate, I'll not try and single him out for being shite. He's just part of the pile of shite that's Airdrie at the moment - thanks primarily  to the two pundits.

1 hour ago, Roger Thornhill said:

They bid before we played them. 

43 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Sheena Hannaway/Mrs Wilson says Wilson is only paid expenses. If that's the case it should be easy to get shot of the pair (although unfortunately we haven't done so already).

He's getting paid far too much expenses or not. 

29 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Didn't say it was all his fault. And if I started on the defence then we'd be here all day.  But he has been a contributor - be it because of a loss of form because of what's in front of him or perhaps because he's not good enough (at the moment) and shouldn't have been promoted to number 1 based on that one game.

But in the spirt of friendship with you as my new mate, I'll not try and single him out for being shite. He's just part of the pile of shite that's Airdrie at the moment - thanks primarily  to the two pundits.

No, what you said was that we're "counting the cost" for promoting him to the number one slot. That suggests that you place the blame on the 'keeper. You've singled him out for criticism when we've got the worst defense in Scotland. I can think of a few times the 'keeper has sold it. I can count many more that the defense has been posted missing or made a mistake. 

Unfortunately for the 'keeper, it seems far more apparent when he makes a mistake - primarily as it costs us a goal - whereas the defense sometimes get away with it, but largely don't. Do I think he's good enough? Probably not. His positioning is questionable and he's as quiet as a church mouse. He is a good shot stopper though so there's something to work with there. I look at the defense and I cant find a single positive.

Where I do agree with you is that the two pundits have to take a lot of the blame. Somebody posted a stat from a journo which had us in second and 7 points behind Livvy when MW took charge.........just look where we are now. It's no coincidence. For a defender who's played at a high level I'm utterly astonished that he's serving up this pish.

What can you say that hasn't been said on here a thousand times already this season. We've had the same problems all season conceding soft goals. We've tried various combinations in the centre of defence, we've now tried different formations with 3 central defenders and we are still conceding goals. We have an ex defender as our coach and we've got worse since he came in. I think most of us agree that we would get rid of the radio pundits but that it's unlikely to happen before the end of the season. I wouldn't have much faith in our chairman replacing them with a decent manager. The season can't come to an end quick enough for me. 

46 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

If that's the case then I put my hands up and apologise for talking shit. But I still wish Dundee Utd had taken him.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-scottish-mail-on-sunday/20160110/285237371788565

They made an offer in the week before the game then another after it. 

He isn't playing well - but he'll know that. The idea that he is absolutely hopeless is nonsense. He was highly rated hence Utd and Hearts interest and the desire to keep him. But to be honest he has been thrown into a bad team before he's ready. He could have done with being taken out the firing line a few months ago but those in charge made sure we have no experienced back up.

So what you have now is a kid who's confidence is shot to the point he doesn't know (literally) if he is coming or going. Whether he can come back from this time will tell. The fact the defence is so bad - and so badly organised - is no doubt a contributing factor to his poor form. 

16 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

No, what you said was that we're "counting the cost" for promoting him to the number one slot. That suggests that you place the blame on the 'keeper. You've singled him out for criticism when we've got the worst defense in Scotland. I can think of a few times the 'keeper has sold it. I can count many more that the defense has been posted missing or made a mistake. 

Counting the cost of having a rookie goalkeeper who at the moment is well out of his depth and is contributing to the worst defence in Scotland.  I was questioning the decision behind having him between the sticks. I think him being promoted to number one hasn't helped anyone - including the boy himself. But you are right, its not just him. Its the team in general. And there's only two pundits that I can blame for that..

I just worry that to TW Airdrie FC is just a plaything. And him and his pals will leave us in dire straights.

Just now, Chapelhall chap said:

Watched the highlights. No more to add except that as MW regularly says it was "disappointing" and all down to individual errors but we will address it on Monday and move on. Doh!

Yeah every goal can be attributed to individual errors, we could say Kelly was poorly positioned for Airdrie's free kick and Cadden lost the ball which lead to the penalty. Wilson still had Airdrie set up to lose goals against us though, far to open a game to stop us scoring.

16 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Watched the highlights. No more to add except that as MW regularly says it was "disappointing" and all down to individual errors but we will address it on Monday and move on. Doh!

Wilson and Dalziel have a real brass neck being "pundits"giving opinion and criticism of other football clubs when they are making so much of a mess with us. Who can take these jokers seriously? Address it on Monday? Like Wilson and his booze bag pal have been addressing it for the last couple of months?

These two are an embarrassment.

3 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah every goal can be attributed to individual errors, we could say Kelly was poorly positioned for Airdrie's free kick and Cadden lost the ball which lead to the penalty. Wilson still had Airdrie set up to lose goals against us though, far to open a game to stop us scoring.

Wilson is an absolute muppet. However you've got to feel a wee bit sorry for him when after competing for the (albeit short) opening period his most experienced centre half proceeds to make the wrong decision and monumentally fvcks up - aided by a team mate of course who follows that up with an another mistake - and we're a goal down from nothing. Just what a team low in form and confidence needs. Moments later they then lose a second soft goal and the games gone in ten minutes. 

Now Wilson is murder, that's obvious to all - but part of the issue is too many of the team are too. Mensing for instance was still trying and failing to shield the ball later in the game despite his earlier error. Same result (he lost it). Not sure what you can do with that. 

Just now, Airdrie76 said:

Wilson is an absolute muppet. However you've got to feel a wee bit sorry for him when after competing for the (albeit short) opening period his most experienced centre half proceeds to make the wrong decision and monumentally fvcks up - aided by a team mate of course who follows that up with an another mistake - and we're a goal down from nothing. Just what a team low in form and confidence needs. Moments later they then lose a second soft goal and the games gone in ten minutes. 

Now Wilson is murder, that's obvious to all - but part of the issue is too many of the team are too. Mensing for instance was still trying and failing to shield the ball later in the game despite his earlier error. Same result (he lost it). Not sure what you can do with that. 

We had Darren Cole doing the same thing last season, and Mensing too before he left for the USA, you have to wonder what managers see in players like that when they sign them, and why they keep playing them. Actually didn't think Mensing was as bad as I've seen him when he played for  Livi, though he did look like a big haddy when Buchanan took the ball off him for our first goal. Wilson says he tried to keep it tight against us, but Airdrie are an attacking team and we've always found it pretty open against them, didn't really notice that game being any different from the other 4 we played against you.

13 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

In football the responsibility for failure (rightly or wrongly in some instances) lies with the management team.  Regarding Mensing - he was brought in by the pundits to steady the boat and he hasn't.

3 hours ago, AFC1878 said:

If he walks away what about his shares?unless he has a buyer he's kind of stuck.The same position as J B is it not only he managed to off load the majority of his to T W.

Can't help but think that when T W came in the priority should have been to concentrate 100% on puting a winning team on the park even if it meant playing a team of 29 or 30 year olds. We don't have lots of resources but we are by no means the poorest in our division.Instead we seemed to have all these plans to grow the club and nurture young talent which is why we are where we are. The place to do that is in the Championship with bigger crowds and better finances where young players can be eased in and out of the big team as required. If we continue with the present set up we will be in the exact same position next year regardless of who the manager is.

Archived