Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a relief on Saturday seeing us change our shape and altering our tictacs after our worst run of the season.

I don't know how many times I've moaned on here about our hoofball and our over-exposed defence.   I'm still not too happy about a few things but there was enough to hope that we may be able to rouse some sort of run of form if we make a few improvements.

I have been shouting for a back 3 with McGregor and Gorman either side of Mensing.    They're playing zonal but tbh, I'm more a fan of markers/sweeper.    I felt that we can move the ball out of defence better with Gorman there and it looked that way on Saturday.    Communication wasn't the greatest though.   There was a rather naff looking episode in the 2nd half when McGregor had loads of time to deal with an innocuous ball but he wasn't given any verbal help from Mensing.   Although I f**king hate them with a passion,  the manager and coaches were ignored by Mensing.    No matter how much I hate the guys in the dugout, it's not good when the experience players are undermining them.

The wingbacks were a lot more free in this formation, though I must admit to being utterly bemused by the myth that McDonald is a footballer.   He is a terrible defender, no doubt,  but his attacking play leaves a lot to be desired too.   His final ball can be very inconsistent and his finishing is deplorable.   I'm looking for a bit more from him.

Also,  I've had a go at the head coach for our younger players being randomly dropped and not being cultivated.   McIntosh seems to be the latest fall guy.   The kid has done nothing wrong,  indeed, he saved his manager's ass last Saturday.    He did not look amused at all on Saturday being on the bench.   

I've said many times on here,  I think we have a good bunch of players that should be a hell of a lot better collectively than they are at the moment.  

On Saturday I want us to have a right go at Livvy.  For our own sake I want to see if this lot can have a go at a better team.    I think our back 3 are capable of competing.   Buchanan and Mullen (or Todorov) will need tight marking.   Let's see if Mensing can actually marshall the defence?

Personally I'd stiffen the midfield a bit.    McIntosh is possibly a better RWB than Stewart.  He can get forwards,  drop a shoulder and beat a man too, but he's potentially a far better defender.    Stewart can help the midfield this week,  he can press when defending and gallop forward on the break.   Livvy will play a tall back 3 as usual, let Ryan and Russell drop off them,  pass the ball and let those two and Stewart  run at them.    Biggest worry is whether McDonald can match up with Crighton and pose him more problems than he can cause us.

Agree that the changes made a huge difference. For the first time in a long while we looked like a team, everyone looked comfortable and seemed to know what they were doing. The longer the game went on the stronger we became. Definitely worth persevering with to see how far it can take us.

I know Stenny aren't great but there were times on Saturday that reminded me of the old Airdrie.

5 minutes ago, waysider said:

'All sizes available apart from small, medium and large'???

Badly worded....stressful few days !

ALL prepaid orders are ready to collect (irrespective of size). There is also additional stock available to buy on the night of all sizes apart from small, medium and large - which are out of stock but more is due in ed April.. 

3 hours ago, Evil Jim Fenner said:

Badly worded....stressful few days !

ALL prepaid orders are ready to collect (irrespective of size). There is also additional stock available to buy on the night of all sizes apart from small, medium and large - which are out of stock but more is due in ed April.. 

So your ok if your a fatty then? 

Archived