Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

I agree with almost everything Airdrieman says. Really difficult to see how we get out of the mess. . Obviously, the present management team have dragged us down but I have a feeling that getting rid of them now would mean TW having to admit to a mistake too far. 

On statistics yesterday's match should have been won but this is what happens when confidence hits a low.

i'm afraid that the best we can hope for is to stay up and to get a proper manager through normal procedures for next year.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, airdrieman said:

It's time we not only got rid of Dalziel and Wilson but actually opened up the management recruitment process to applicants, interviews and appointed the best man for the job rather than treating our club as a 'jobs for the boys' market. Every appointment, King, EWB, McBride, Dalziel and Wilson have all either been pals of Wotherspoon or pals of each other. And all of have been a disaster. King and EWB talked a (laughably) big game but had totally naive and unrealistic expectations on how to succeed at this level, both in terms of style of football and building a squad. King totally messed up our recruitment and has a lot to answer for, for how bad this season is going. McBride just wasn't good enough. Some people say he should never have been sacked, or that it was harsh to do so, but he wasn't the answer and let's not pretend otherwise. Dalziel and Wilson are just as bad if not worse. We're an unorganised shambles with no game plan, no fight, no ideas, no shape and no urgency. A total mess. Our next four games are the Rovers, Brechin, Stenny (our bogey team) and Livi. I'm not sure where are next points are coming from TBH and I can see us totally freefalling down the league now unless there's change.

Dalziel should never have been appointed in the first place. He's a dinosaur who had been out of the senior game for 10 years and didn't even have a good management record in the first place. He's the exact opposite of what a director of football should be and the fact he pretty much said so himself on the radio is an embarrassment. As is the fact he is somehow allowed not to attend games. What a fucking joke. Wilson looks totally lost. Whether or not he would fare better with a more competent experienced head beside him is debatable but just now he just doesn't have a clue.

Barry Ferguson can get to f**k although he is Wotherspoon's pal so does fit the criteria to be our manager. 

Rumour going around on the Facebook group that Sandy Stewart was at training this week in some capacity.

Right from the start the problem was the naivety. I think TW tried to get round that by appointing people he 'trusted' to give him some level of comfort that everyone was on the same page. The problem is that just because you trust someone's intentions doesn't mean that they are actually competent at their job. There are plenty of people I trust but it doesn't mean I would let them run my business or whatever, because they have no experience and it's not their skill set.

The recruitment was by far the biggest problem and that's where our issues have stemmed from this season. I agree that McBride wasn't the answer however that's one decision I have sympathy with the club for given the situation with EWB, the club were in an impossible situation at that moment. But appointing Dalziel was downright ridiculous for so many reasons, then appointing Wilson - an even younger and less experienced guy than McBride - even more so.

Had a good social evening in front of me so I stayed off posting till today. The first half was poor from both teams and controlling the ball seemed beyond anyone. One good header from Ryan but their experience was obvious, and any passing move mainly came from Stranraer. Having defended Ferguson mainly this season his performance at both goals was the main cause of our defeat. I said to my mates that Russell would miss the penalty and so I take the blame. Meanwhile we must have passed the ball in a backward fashion for much of the second half. They looked more up for it in the second half and we only really gor into the game in the last few minutes as they tried to cling on. Indeed a more composed finish by Macdonald might have snatched a draw . If TW was there he has got to wonder how this new team management have taken us to 8 defeats since Dalziel and MW assumed full time control. (14 league games). MW quite smartly skipped up the tunnel at the end and if Mark McGhee can be turfed out so quickly, maybe he is worried? Rovers game next week is even more scary now. I should have stayed in to watch Andy Murray win in Dubai after all.

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Had a good social evening in front of me so I stayed off posting till today. The first half was poor from both teams and controlling the ball seemed beyond anyone. One good header from Ryan but their experience was obvious, and any passing move mainly came from Stranraer. Having defended Ferguson mainly this season his performance at both goals was the main cause of our defeat. I said to my mates that Russell would miss the penalty and so I take the blame. Meanwhile we must have passed the ball in a backward fashion for much of the second half. They looked more up for it in the second half and we only really gor into the game in the last few minutes as they tried to cling on. Indeed a more composed finish by Macdonald might have snatched a draw . If TW was there he has got to wonder how this new team management have taken us to 8 defeats since Dalziel and MW assumed full time control. (14 league games). MW quite smartly skipped up the tunnel at the end and if Mark McGhee can be turfed out so quickly, maybe he is worried? Rovers game next week is even more scary now. I should have stayed in to watch Andy Murray win in Dubai after all.

He's a good young keeper but he's making mistakes and low on confidence just now. He needs rested for his own sake. The only problem is there's nobody to rest him for.

5 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

He's a good young keeper but he's making mistakes and low on confidence just now. He needs rested for his own sake. The only problem is there's nobody to rest him for.

Yep I agree and it goes back to the recruitment policy for FT football last season. In this division are there any goalies who are worse than him as PT goalies.( Stenny or he is on loan?) Even Alloa's back up keeper looked good last week.When Raith were running a hybrid of FT/PT a few years ago I am sure their first team Goalie was PT?

22 points before GD/MW took over; 14 since. (14 games) I think a 19/21 goal difference under KmcB(12 games) has gone to a 42/49 statistic so if we lose by 2 at Coatbridge and Stennny win we could have the worst defensive record in the League. Quite good for a full time side.

Just watched the highlights in DTV.

Wilson is having a fucking laugh. We only train 1 day a week extra? Seriously?!? Most P/T teams train 2 nights a week and play at the weekend. If we're doing the equivalent of 3 nights per week then why are we F/T? 

Unbelievably, Wilson then goes on to blame the fans! Aye, mate, it's the fans fault that a full time team can't beat a part time team with ten men. It's our fault that we turn up week upon week, paying out our cash, to be served up utter fucking drivel and have the cheek to voice our concerns.

Whilst I'm not at all in the camp that think this group of players is anywhere near good enough, I'm certainly of the opinion that the Wilson/Dalziel combo is as bad as King/EWB. Yet Mark Wilson expects us to sit and clap along like fucking North Koreans.

f**k you Wilson. 

So we're a hard crowd to play in front of and the young players would play better if we encouraged them rather than get on their backs?? Wilson is an idiot and should do us all a favour and pack it in now. 

Does he expect us to sit back and watch that sh!te every week and be happy that we are getting beaten at home by the Rovers, Stranraer, Peterhead, Stenhousemuir etc. He wouldn't have lasted very long if he had the long walk back to the pavilion at the old Broomfield. 

Wilson had better hope tw doesn't watch his interview. Not much difference between full time and part time . Try telling that to the chairmans wallet. plus by the sound of him, the team are basically beat before they go onto the park cos of the supporters. I will say time after time, supporters don't make players crap out of tackles, supporters don't make players shit themselves to head away cross balls, supporters don't make players greet to the ref like a wee lassie and get suspended, supporters don't make the team look disjointed, loads more but can't be bothered. But then again it's all the fans fault. 

Wilson hasn't a fucking scooby and that last few minutes of his interview is criminal. 

Just to add I have no idea who was doing the interview but the statement "The crowd getting on their back didn't help Marc" what so we have to encourage and clap that pish ? Im sorry but that statement is ridiculous. The crowd are entitled to say, chant, moan, scream and shout what ever the f**k they like. Especially when what we see on the park and from the sidelines is a complete fucking shambles. They crowd don't effect the players thats a nonsense. 

I've been an Airdrie fan for over 40 years - have witnessed the highs and the lows, watched the good and the bad - but the pash that has just been spouted from Wilson's mouth takes the biscuit. Him and booze bag Dalziel should pack their bags and go. They've lost the dressing room and now lost the fans. They're dragging the football club that I love into the mire.

We're now a laughing stock of a club run by two "two-bit fitbaw pundits" - I mean what kind of set up is that?  A full time club with the director of football and head coach still doing weekly punditry with Radio Ciyde.  I don't think there's a set up like in professional football. 

These two have to be replaced NOW - as we are in free fall to Division 2 and crowds of 500  (if we are lucky).  

Wow, there was me thinking it was the guys running the show who were at fault, thank god the master of deflection Mark Shitebag Wilson has cleared that up for me, it is indeed me as the paying customers fault! So if i get my car fixed mark and the new part falls off after i pay the money should i phone the guy and say good effort mate, better luck next time?

I have to say if I was an Airdrie fan and listened to that interview I'd be very annoyed myself, incredible thing to say with the form that you are in. 

At the end of the day it's his job to put a winning team on the park, if they aren't winning that's his fault, not the fans fault. 

Every club in Scotland will have fans that moan at the team, at Livingston it's horrific, some of the abuse that's shouted, some of it is fair some of it isn't but they pay there money and are entitled to an opinion.

Deflect, deflect, deflect, that what it sounds like from MW, I never thought I'd say this but I genuinely feel for the Airdrie fans. 

Anyway, sorry for butting in.

2 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Yep I agree and it goes back to the recruitment policy for FT football last season. In this division are there any goalies who are worse than him as PT goalies.( Stenny or he is on loan?) Even Alloa's back up keeper looked good last week.When Raith were running a hybrid of FT/PT a few years ago I am sure their first team Goalie was PT?

Yes, I posted on this some time ago. If we had decided to carry a few part timers we might have been able to keep Parry. Instead we have a rookie goalie who is mince with no back up because the Chairman saw a £ sign after one good display.

I hope Wilson has just talked himself out a job. Can we get the reporter to ask Dalziel some questions?

5 minutes ago, waysider said:

Yes, I posted on this some time ago. If we had decided to carry a few part timers we might have been able to keep Parry. Instead we have a rookie goalie who is mince with no back up because the Chairman saw a £ sign after one good display.

I hope Wilson has just talked himself out a job. Can we get the reporter to ask Dalziel some questions?

Watched his "lets blame the fans" , bad luck, one extra training day( 5 in a week?), must win games( But we don't!) Disappointing only mentioned twice. No Dalziel next season or season ticket reservation will not happen

That's. Bullsh!t! Part time teams will train two or three evenings a week at most, facts show that full-time teams (minus Dunfermline) are the best teams in the league and win the league, and to blame the fans for HIS team's failings just highlights what a clueless and incompetent football manager he is! Clearly out of his depth and I won't be back until he and the one that holds his leash are gone - if that's next season, so be it.

Archived