Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

I'm perhaps in the minority but I'm not so sure that the role of the captain is that important.

We've now an experienced man at the back who should be passing on his "wisdom", same in midfield and same up front.

Captaincy is the least of my worries. I'm way more concerned about how a full time team can play like they just met in the car park.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Games this week...

FIRST TEAM
Airdrieonians vs Stranraer
Saturday March 4, 3:00pm
Excelsior Stadium, Craigneuk Avenue, Airdrie ML6 8QZ
Adults £16, Concession £10, U16 £7, Parent and child £20

U20S DEVELOPMENT SQUAD
Airdrieonians vs Albion Rovers
Wednesday March 8, 8:00pm
Ravenscraig Regional Sports Facility, 1 O'Donnell Way, Motherwell ML1 2TZ 
Free entry

U17S ACADEMY SQUAD
Alloa Athletic vs Airdrieonians
Sunday March 5, 2:00pm
Indodrill Stadium, Clackmannan Rd, Alloa FK10 1RY
Free entry

U15S ACADEMY SQUAD
Alloa Athletic vs Airdrieonians
Sunday March 5, 12:00pm
Indodrill Stadium, Clackmannan Rd, Alloa FK10 1RY
Free entry

U14S ACADEMY SQUAD
Airdrieonians vs Alloa Athletic
Sunday March 5, 2:00pm
Airdrie Leisure Centre, Motherwell St, Airdrie ML6 7HU 
Free entry

U13S ACADEMY SQUAD
Airdrieonians vs Alloa Athletic
Airdrie Leisure Centre, Motherwell St, Airdrie ML6 7HU 
Free entry

LADIES SQUAD
Airdrieonians vs Blackburn United 
Excelsior Stadium, Craigneuk Avenue, Airdrie ML6 8QZ
Free entry 

11 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Rather than a competent management team and players who can actually play?

Can't we have all three?

Anyway, my point wasn't that the lack of a good captain is the heart of our problem. It was that the appointment of Russell as captain is another example of the kind of poor decision making that is at the root of our troubles. 

25 minutes ago, Airdrie♢Diamond said:

Can't we have all three?

Anyway, my point wasn't that the lack of a good captain is the heart of our problem. It was that the appointment of Russell as captain is another example of the kind of poor decision making that is at the root of our troubles. 

Tbh, appointment of captain is pretty irrelevant on the park.  Everyone should know their jobs and manager / coaches should be able,  in 400-1000 fan arenas, to organise and motivate their players as they wish.  Everyone on the park should be a captain.

Unfortunately either our players are utter shite or our coaching is utter shite.

5 minutes ago, Airdrie♢Diamond said:

Or our shitey players are being coached shitiley.

IMO the players aren't shite.   I've not coached at pro level but I could win the league with the players we have.  

King and Woleki ruined our squad last winter, then King spunked Wotherspoon's dough like a drunken sailer.

4 minutes ago, Redandwhitearmy78 said:

Why aren't you the airdrie manager you could win us the league???

Look at how the Ballantynes f**ked over Sandy, and Boyle, then how TW has manipulated Bollan, then f**ked over Black, King (his alleged friend), McBride and soon to be those 2 sad desperate clowns we have in just now.

Would you work for them?

Now get back to sleep Copper18, you bore me shitless.

Does anyone know the size of the playing budget, I know it's not the biggest in the league but someone mentioned to me in boozer it's not even the biggest in monklands.

surely that can't be true?

The captaincy itself isn't a major issue, but the general lack of leadership (on and off the park) and a real immaturity are the issue. We are very petulant, constantly moaning at the referee for almost any contact, like we can't believe that teams are getting in about us and not allowing us to play our slick brand of total football. We've had a few really stupid sending-offs, and we collapse when we go a couple of goals behind, all evidence of a lack of leadership and immaturity.

Of our older players we have Russell who is probably the most petulant in the whole team, Conroy who I like but doesn't strike me as your typical 'leader', and now Mensing who maybe is but we've not had him for most of the season and has other flaws.

Again, I'm not having a go at the players involved, most of them are young and you'd expect these features from them, yet again the problem was the recruitment and the building of our squad.

14 minutes ago, Cooper81 said:

Got stick for saying I wanted us to keep Lithgow and Crighton.Got stick for saying i wouldnt have got rid of McBride. Dare i say it we wouldnt be concerned were within 6 points of 2nd bottom with McBride in charge.

The fact is the club is being run like a absolute joke.

Rohan apparantly gets goalkeeping coach throughout the week but where is the goalkeeping coach come a saturday. Rohan has to be braver and John Martin would be the ideal canditate to coach Rohan.

What is Dalziel getting paid a wage for ?

TW has been a failure as a chairman did he even attend the game ?

You got stick for a lot of things all self inflicted. 

Archived