Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CumbyDiamond said:

For us to make any further progress either Russell or Brown needs dropped, can't carry two passengers in midfield.

Dalziel should go & get a wise head in dugout.

Wilson needs to give up radio slot, concentrate on day job & not be drawn into conversations he should not be having in public (budgets, players not up to it etc.)

Wilson is inexperienced in much the same way McBride was, difference is McBride had it thrust upon him without a great deal of options available to us. Wilson however was hand picked for the job by Dalziel, now don't get me wrong I like the idea of bringing through an up and coming manager but when we are already in a transition period which isn't exactly going to plan you need an experienced manager to steady the ship and have someone like Wilson as a no. 2. Far too many times looking at the dugout on Saturday you could see him just standing there with no idea what was going on. Any chance he maybe feels he has bit off more than he can chew?

We need stability and we need it now. ffs I mean it wasn't that long ago most of us were , myself included, getting excited about the prospect of full time football,  now I can't honestly say anything has improved under it, not one thing is better now than it was this time last year. With exception of the Trust of course who are doing a smashing job.

1 hour ago, She who dares gins said:

Whatever happened to the Q&A - pair of them hiding now.

I would find it embarrassing for the pair of them to be at a Q and A. What can they say which will assure anyone? Much better to wait for them to be sacked and TW can bring along the new manager!!

For us to make any further progress either Russell or Brown needs dropped, can't carry two passengers in midfield.

I agree with brown being dropped he hasn't offered anything since his goal against Albion rovers and to be honest very little all season. Russell although playing out of position at the moment to accommodate McKay does at least bring a bit of experience and dig.

There are a multitude of things going wrong just now and it's now again a situation where we need to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.   We had players brought in to play a certain formation and style,  then in comes a new manager and his dinosaur DoF who want to play a prehistoric system and tactics and very poorly at that.

We need to look at the players strengths and weaknesses to find the best solution;

Rohan:   Clearly inexperienced and making mistakes.  Nowhere near as bad as some make out but still,  he has the jitters.   Back up goalies Matthew and Callum are both very young and have no experience.   Callum is only 16 but may be the better prospect of the lot,  he's a really big lad and looks the part though he's just 17.

McIntosh:   Not the best defensively yet, but has been seen to improve a lot this season.   Good on the ball and going forward,  will settle at centre half eventually but probably best hidden at RB for now.

Mensing:   Exposed badly on Saturday and may not suit a back 4 at his age.   I thought he was going to be free man in a back 3.

McGregor:   Had a good half a game but injured his ankle a fortnight ago.   How long is he out for?   He looked a superb centre half.

Boateng:   We know he's dreadful but after the hopeless display v. Livvy on Saturday I wondered if it would have been any worse with him in there.

Gorman:   As much as I like him I've been bitterly disappointed in him for past month or so.    Since our home thrashing v. Stenny he's caused a lot of goals by constantly swinging his left boot at crosses from our RB area causing us to concede needless goals or OGs.  If he can't correct that fault he isn't a centre half and would be better playing LB.

McDonald:   As poor a defender as Boateng but he is good going forwards even if his final ball is often lacking.   For me,  he could be used more as a left mid if we go 442.

Stewart:   Clearly our best player running at full backs.   He's poor defensively,  really poor at times,  I've pointed out stupid mistakes that are repeating themselves all the time.   Again,  like McDonald,  if he's going to fit into a 442,  it may well be on the right of midfield.

Hutton:   Sometimes looks like a player wanting to break out,  others he looks really poor.    I was hoping for more personality tbh, and he's almost got me wanting Fitzy back.

Conroy:   Been one of my favs this year but that sending off was a kick in the nuts.

Leitch:    Like Brown and Russell, I don't know where he fits into Dalzilson's  442.   He's definitely not a wide left or a striker,  so he's basically competing with Conroy for left centre mid.

Brown:   for me, never a winger,  and for me,  he's a no. 10 all over.   Again,  really disappointed in a big game,  his lack of tracking back at a few goals was apparent again.   Very talented going foward (centrally) but never a winger.

Russell:   Never a left winger in my book,  his best chance is as 2nd striker to Ryan.  But he also has Mckay for company now.

McKay:   Looked impressive early v. Livvy and did well v. Peterhead.   Showed great bursts of pace which will be worth looking out for.

Ryan:  Our only hope

McLaughlin:   Hasn't kicked a ball in months,  clearly not on Dalzilson's radar.

Leighton:   Same as Jesus,   seems well out of the plans

Cairns:   Like  a wee boy lost.   Sent off AGAIN for the U20s yesterday.

Given our manager's lack of brainpower and the dinosaur DoF,  I can't see us doing anything progressive.   Some players look like they're very low on confidence which has become apparent since Dalzilson's takeover.

Personally I can't be bothered ever watching another game with Brown and Russell on the wings,  McDonald at left back,  Gorman as left CB EVER.  

If we don't finish the Dinosaur Dalziel and his protoge Wilson's time at the club with immediate effect,   I hope to f**k they don't screw up again this weekend.   

If we're going to be 442 this weekend again, it can only be with Stewart and McDonald as the wide mids...

Rohan

McIntosh McGregor Mensing Gorman

Stewart Hutton Leitch McDonald

Ryan and McKay 

Agree with most of the points made by DBM regarding players and formations. I would maybe have Russell up front with Ryan rather than McKay who I've yet to make my mind up on.

I also agree that the radio pundits have to go or we will struggle to finish mid table never mind top 4. I have no faith in them turning things around. We have got worse under their stewardship. Our form since December has been terrible and we are still conceding too many goals. I can't see TW going down this road unfortunately though so we'll have to struggle on to the end of the season. This season is fast becoming another write off. Does the 3 year plan start again in the summer? 

6 hours ago, carlukediamond said:

I agree with brown being dropped he hasn't offered anything since his goal against Albion rovers and to be honest very little all season. Russell although playing out of position at the moment to accommodate McKay does at least bring a bit of experience and dig.

Amazing how people see players differently. Brown has had 4 "assists" since the Rovers game including 2 superb passes to Ryan which I doubt if anyone else in our team could do. Worth having a player like that as it's goals that count.

If we have 2 up front it must be Russell ahead of MacKay. Russell can't play as a winger any more but I'm sure could produce goals as a striker. I've no doubt MacKay will be a good player some day but at the moment he's just a big laddie a bit out of his depth. 

Had Conroy not gotten himself sent off at the end on Saturday, I'd have suggested we went with a 4-4-2 with a narrow diamond in midfield. A back 4 of McIntosh, Mensing, McGregor and McDonald. I'd have Hutton holding, Stewart and Conroy in the middle with either Leitch or Brown in behind Ryan and Russell.

As it stands, I think we'd be better going a more orthodox 4-4-2 with the same back 4 and then Stewart and Brown on the wings, Leitch and Hutton in the middle with Ryan and Russell up front.

Up until this past weekend I'd have agreed with you waysider, Brown definitely has that ability to unlock a game, but if everyone was available, he'd be much better coming on as a sub when the game is stretched.

Russell definitely needs to partner Ryan though, we're wasting him.

I can't believe I'm saying this either, but if McGregor isn't fit again, it may be worth trying Boateng alongside Mensing! [emoji23][emoji52]

1 hour ago, thediamonddude said:

I can't believe I'm saying this either, but if McGregor isn't fit again, it may be worth trying Boateng alongside Mensing! emoji23.pngemoji52.png

I was thinking that too but undoubtedly he'd put stewart at rb keeping broon and russell safe yet again.

Cairns isnt an option either (not good enough anyway) as he got sent off for 20s again.

Fingers crossed for McGregor.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 20:58, whereismillar said:

confident are we ?

No; It was the usual feeling that after every heavy defeat , for some baffling reason they manage to produce a good performance and have managed to beat Alloa away and home which is amazing! Watching the highlights and post match interview about "not much between us" and "they tweaked their shape" and "disappointing" I await a miracle.

12 hours ago, waysider said:

Amazing how people see players differently. Brown has had 4 "assists" since the Rovers game including 2 superb passes to Ryan which I doubt if anyone else in our team could do. Worth having a player like that as it's goals that count.

Yes it is goals that count but when the going gets tough  he is nowhere to be seen like on Saturday, would far rather someone like Stewart starting ahead of him who will run himself into the ground for 90 mins and potentially have more impact.

Yeah I'm torn on Brown for the same reasons. The answer is to give him a role with as little defensive or ball winning duties as possible.

All of our problems boil down to having square pegs for round holes.

6 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

The former Chief Executive proves that getting a UEFA A-Licence means Sweet F**k All.   

Listening to that 8minute you-tube compilation of "unqualified" coach Doddie's wisdoms had my heart breaking

You can't possibly mean that IK is to blame for this mess surely? I mean who didn't LOVE Kingy?

Archived