Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

As I said in the match thread yesterday, that defeat takes us back to a goal difference of -5. Considering our 'manager' was a defender, and the level of opposition in the league that's shocking.

Again, I feel the need to question the benefits of our full-time training. I wonder what shite he has given us in his post match interview this week. Probably along the lines of "not good enough, we know where it's going wrong and we'll fix it." Just like he was going to fix it months ago.

Again, referring to comments I made in the match thread, there was times yesterday he turned to Jennow to ask what he should do because he does not have a clue.

And from what I could see, it was Jennow who made the decision to bring the subs on. If we can see that going on, what must the players be thinking?

The Trust has made tremendous strides off the park with everything that they are doing. Unfortunately, the team on the park are doing their best to counteract this. 

Why not let the Trust run the club? We would be in the Premiership in 3 years.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprisingly I agree with most of the above. You can't argue with statistics. One thing about McBride, however. There were rumours that the players were treating training like a holiday camp. If that is true, he had to go. The real disaster is what he has been replaced with which even at the time seemed ludicrous. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that Dalziel/Wilson won't be displaced until the end of the season. I hope we have got enough points to avoid relegation.

The rot started when we failed to keep our defence now were left with a team, no manager, no tactics, Questionable training stints,

and crumbles totally under any kind of pressure. The point is, were just not good enough from the top to the bottom.

Thank God we have the Trust, at least they do positive things despite the humiliation of watching our 'team' perform

of a Saturday. So Sad!!

Stating the obvious a bit but if you're going for an inexperienced manager you need an experienced number two. I'd have preferred if that manager had been McBride and we brought someone in to fulfil that role. I wasn't screaming for his head when he went.

The actual ideal scenario for me would have been to keep Lennon.

I won't be punting anymore money into that club other than through the gate until we see the footballing side taken seriously and managed properly - starting with cheerio Dalziel.

Having given some thought to this full time idea it seems to me that TW has either seriously underestimated how much it would cost him, or the people he employed to manage the process made a complete mess of it. Putting aside the standard of our players, we really have too small a pool of players able to be put in the first team. Things could have been much worse. We have only one long term injury and plenty of teams carry much more than this. 

We have never had a natural right back this season which has caused all sorts of problems. We didn't have enough money left to sign decent defenders which is either TW's miscalculation or those he employed to put together the team.

The mistakes made on management are horrendous. I fancy King may have been the first big mistake. Black was another. I wish the man no harm but his idea of football may cut it at Barcelona where players can control the ball but is no use in the Scottish First Division. The appointment of McBride was thrust upon TW and if the rumours about Ravenscraig are true he had to go.

What came after that is laughable but I fear we might be stuck with it until the end of the season.

Returning to the full time idea, I wonder whether TW might on reflection wish he had retained some part timers which might have allowed us to sign more players. For example, we might have kept Parry who is twice the goalie Ferguson ever will be.

If we are to succeed at full time on a restricted budget we needed to have a manager more skilled in picking players than any of the ones we have had.

Football under Bollan was terrible but at least we weren't a total joke. 

Correct but for this level he got the job done with next to no money!

As with everythig else wrong here it all leads back to Iain King, he has 100% ruined the opportunity for this club to start afresh under new ownership and it is so frustrating, I wouldnt be surpirsed to see us got part time again at the end of th season and start again.

Also heard a lot of ppl argue yesterday when the manager was getting called everything under the sun, how can anybody stand up for him? He stood there like a statue muttering under his breath and waving his hand occasionally when he should have been putting the fear of god into them or at least trying to spur them on, why should we the fans back him if he cant be bothered to even try and get a reaction out of the players.

If folk want to back him then fair play to them. But when they start getting all sanctimonious and trying to castigate other fans who don't share their opinion then they should STFU.

Sick of happy clapping, self righteous, Saintly airdrie fans than think they have the right to tell others how they should support them team.

4 hours ago, waysider said:

Surprisingly I agree with most of the above. You can't argue with statistics. One thing about McBride, however. There were rumours that the players were treating training like a holiday camp. If that is true, he had to go. The real disaster is what he has been replaced with which even at the time seemed ludicrous. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that Dalziel/Wilson won't be displaced until the end of the season. I hope we have got enough points to avoid relegation.

Treating like a holiday camp??

I watched training a couple of times and didn't look anything like that to me.

Think people mix up holiday camp and enjoying being at your work.

Strange that Yogi Hughes a guy with a big reputation would pick McBride then.

I think rumours have been made to discredit him due to fact he wasn't prepared to accept a guy wanting to take his training and pick his team only to sit in a radio studio while he takes flack.

As Donald Trump would say, its fake news lol

9 minutes ago, Yoda8 said:

Treating like a holiday camp??

I watched training a couple of times and didn't look anything like that to me.

Think people mix up holiday camp and enjoying being at your work.

Strange that Yogi Hughes a guy with a big reputation would pick McBride then.

I think rumours have been made to discredit him due to fact he wasn't prepared to accept a guy wanting to take his training and pick his team only to sit in a radio studio while he takes flack.

As Donald Trump would say, its fake news lol

Fair enough. I didn't say that the rumours were true, just that they were rumours. You may be right in your second last paragraph. To be honest I thought that McBride was thrust into the top job too soon by events. I hope he does well at Raith.

Having given some thought to this full time idea it seems to me that TW has either seriously underestimated how much it would cost him, or the people he employed to manage the process made a complete mess of it. Putting aside the standard of our players, we really have too small a pool of players able to be put in the first team. Things could have been much worse. We have only one long term injury and plenty of teams carry much more than this. 
We have never had a natural right back this season which has caused all sorts of problems. We didn't have enough money left to sign decent defenders which is either TW's miscalculation or those he employed to put together the team.
The mistakes made on management are horrendous. I fancy King may have been the first big mistake. Black was another. I wish the man no harm but his idea of football may cut it at Barcelona where players can control the ball but is no use in the Scottish First Division. The appointment of McBride was thrust upon TW and if the rumours about Ravenscraig are true he had to go.
What came after that is laughable but I fear we might be stuck with it until the end of the season.
Returning to the full time idea, I wonder whether TW might on reflection wish he had retained some part timers which might have allowed us to sign more players. For example, we might have kept Parry who is twice the goalie Ferguson ever will be.
If we are to succeed at full time on a restricted budget we needed to have a manager more skilled in picking players than any of the ones we have had.

Personally I think he was fully aware of the cost involved, imo the biggest culprit is king filling tw head full of pie in the sky ideas , no harm to black but he was sadly never going to be the answer, king then messing about with players , contract offers etc and by the time tw got rid of king the damage was done, an inexperienced McBride was then left to build a squad. It was always going to be a bit of a car crash. I think we need to ride out the rest of the season if it's Wilson in charge next season give him the opportunity to build his squad.

Will whoever is in charge next year have the opportunity to build a squad? Are most of the present squad not on two year deals? Maybe somebody will make an offer for Ryan which we can't refuse. Otherwise, TW is going to have to use more money which I doubt if he will do.

Wotherspoon has made numerous bad mistakes with recruitment and has to take some if not most of the blame. Some fans didn't like Bollan due to the style of football on show every week. I had my complaints but thought he was a decent manager at this level and could have got us promotion if backed by the chairman. It was obvious though that the chairman and King didn't like him. EWB should have been left in charge of the academy and not allowed near the first team. McBride was another in my opinion who wasn't up to the job and some of the signings in the summer were terrible ( Boateng, Schmidt & Daly to name a few) Yes there was early promise with some of the youngsters looking decent but there were obvious gaps in the squad in defence that weren't addressed.

Wilson has somehow taken us backwards both in performances and results and shouldn't have got the job. We needed an experienced coach to come in and sort out our problems and steer us towards a challenge for the title. Dalziel is just a waste of a wage. I'm not sure what his remit is but the fact he doesn't even attend our games should have meant he was never brought in. 

Another worry is the poor form of the U20 side. I realise results at that level aren't the most important thing but these guys were signed on 2 year deals and were supposed to be backup for the first team. It is apparent that they are not seen to be good enough by the management team. TW's 3 year plan isn't quite going to plan.

6 minutes ago, waysider said:

Fair enough. I didn't say that the rumours were true, just that they were rumours. You may be right in your second last paragraph. To be honest I thought that McBride was thrust into the top job too soon by events. I hope he does well at Raith.

McBride had a team that played for him, looked united and inspired on the park. Wilson has taken that and, despite an initial run of results, turned it on it's head and we now have a collection of players who look disinterested and disjointed.

For a supposedly good businessman I find TW's recruitment policy on the football side absolutely bizarre. Lets strip it back - he brought in EWB to undermine Bollan, he'll dispute that but that's how it looks to all and sundry. Bollan is forced out the door and we get the Black/King debacle. No interview process, no candidates. We get a man who'd done nothing in the senior game and a second rate journo. This was going absolutely nowhere when it came to a tragic end. We then get McBride, again no interviews no process, no net cast out to potential candidates. McBride starts to build some results then...kaboom...sacked in favour of Wilson...equally devoid of experience...again without a process, interviews looking at potential candidates etc etc. Of course we then have our illustrious DoF. Someone put a quote on twitter from our DoF saying that he's an old school manager who doesn't believe in the role of a DoF. Without a hint of irony, he assumes this post and has attended zero games.

Seems to me like TW is meeting these guys in the pub or at the horse racing or something, being blinded by their supposed enthusiasm and being continually sold a dummy. It's utterly unbelievable that a successful businessman can run a recruitment policy like this and expect anything other than the abject failure we're witnessing.

Will whoever is in charge next year have the opportunity to build a squad? Are most of the present squad not on two year deals? Maybe somebody will make an offer for Ryan which we can't refuse. Otherwise, TW is going to have to use more money which I doubt if he will do.

Hutton, leitch and mensing only there to end of season so he has a decision to make on them, boateng will leave, McKay and McGregor will go back to there clubs, Fitzpatrick will be available. So an opportunity to build a squad is there. On the question of Ryan if an offer comes in for him that can't be turned down, the club like any other clubs in our position would need to accept it.

If folk want to back him then fair play to them. But when they start getting all sanctimonious and trying to castigate other fans who don't share their opinion then they should STFU.

Sick of happy clapping, self righteous, Saintly airdrie fans than think they have the right to tell others how they should support them team.

I wouldn't dream of telling anyone how they should support the team, the word "support" being the crucial part of your sentence. I'm not sure of many definitions of that which would include verbally abusing players and management during a game.

I will continue to direct my abuse at the opposition players, management and match officials and if our team are so honking that I can't encourage them I'll maintain a silence and maybe boo them off at the end. And that silence will involve not being sanctimonious and castigating the fans who are shouting abuse at their own team. Each to their own. I just don't agree with it and nor do I have to.

34 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

McBride had a team that played for him, looked united and inspired on the park. Wilson has taken that and, despite an initial run of results, turned it on it's head and we now have a collection of players who look disinterested and disjointed.

For a supposedly good businessman I find TW's recruitment policy on the football side absolutely bizarre. Lets strip it back - he brought in EWB to undermine Bollan, he'll dispute that but that's how it looks to all and sundry. Bollan is forced out the door and we get the Black/King debacle. No interview process, no candidates. We get a man who'd done nothing in the senior game and a second rate journo. This was going absolutely nowhere when it came to a tragic end. We then get McBride, again no interviews no process, no net cast out to potential candidates. McBride starts to build some results then...kaboom...sacked in favour of Wilson...equally devoid of experience...again without a process, interviews looking at potential candidates etc etc. Of course we then have our illustrious DoF. Someone put a quote on twitter from our DoF saying that he's an old school manager who doesn't believe in the role of a DoF. Without a hint of irony, he assumes this post and has attended zero games.

Seems to me like TW is meeting these guys in the pub or at the horse racing or something, being blinded by their supposed enthusiasm and being continually sold a dummy. It's utterly unbelievable that a successful businessman can run a recruitment policy like this and expect anything other than the abject failure we're witnessing.

Completely, from top to bottom it's been a 'Jobs for the boys' project with people being appointed because he 'trusts them'. Whatever that means, I trust my friends but I wouldn't stick them in a job which they are not qualified for and bring nothing to.

The whole thing needs simplified. A proper manager should be appointed objectively after a proper application and interview process. They should be given whatever budget we have, given total control over signings and training and told to get us out the league. If they fail then there is one man accountable and you change them. There has been far too many people involved this season which has led to the total mess we have become.

Archived