Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

To be honest, I'm not fussed how we play in the next 5-6 games as long as we get a couple of wins and keep within the promotion play offs.

After that though, we're into the last couple of months of the season where it's imperative we pick up a bit of form. We've shown already this season that with a bit of confidence this team can beat anyone outside of Livi. We certainly do have some good footballers in our squad who are more than capable of putting another run together.

Neither Alloa or Brechin are anything to worry about going into the play offs, and St Mirren and Ayr look as poor a bottom two as possible in the league above.

I'm still optimistic we can turn this around.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

To be honest, I'm not fussed how we play in the next 5-6 games as long as we get a couple of wins and keep within the promotion play offs.

After that though, we're into the last couple of months of the season where it's imperative we pick up a bit of form. We've shown already this season that with a bit of confidence this team can beat anyone outside of Livi. We certainly do have some good footballers in our squad who are more than capable of putting another run together.

Neither Alloa or Brechin are anything to worry about going into the play offs, and St Mirren and Ayr look as poor a bottom two as possible in the league above.

I'm still optimistic we can turn this around.

You don't think East Fife or QP will get into the top 4 then?

Looking really tight with Rovers and Peterhead also not far away from the top 4, only 3 points separating 5 teams, Brechin will be lucky to stay 4th on their current form. And East Fife are on something like 10 games undefeated, looking good for replacing them and then challenging Airdrie and Alloa.

Alloa and Airdrie impressed me the most in earlier games this season but it all seems to be falling apart for Airdrie.

We need to simply concentrate at the moment on being hard to beat as we are the softest touch ever at present.

With Andy Ryan in our team we should be capable of giving anyone problems if we can keep things tight at the other end.  

Hopefully Mensing organise that defence around him and get them working.  

I've no idea if Mensing could organise our back 3 with Boateng and Gorman to turn it into a secure unit with Boateng and Gorman given strict marking roles? Is it possible?

If we have Andy Ryan up top and Scott Stewart in a position to run at defences without the defensive responsibilities then we would surely have a chance of winning most games if our incompetent defence could only stay compact, organised and efficient?

Everyone needs to know their defensive responsibilities and, for example the back 3, Hutton and either fullback must be positioned competently to not be stretched on the counter

As Mark Wilson eluded to in his interview after the game he's trying to bring bodies in but there's very little money not just at Airdrie but every club in this league, but you would have thought even with the payoffs for black, McBride, Hugo etc I would have thought there would have still been enough for at least one more. Especially when you see other clubs signing players, not necessarily players that would have made us any better but infuriating when there is no sign of anything happening.

47 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Hopefully Mensing organise that defence around him and get them working.  

I've no idea if Mensing could organise our back 3 with Boateng and Gorman to turn it into a secure unit with Boateng and Gorman given strict marking roles? Is it possible?

Franz Beckenbauer at his peak would struggle to organise a back 3 with Boateng in it! 

I wouldn't have Boateng anywhere near the starting 11. Gorman has struggled of late playing next to bombscare but looked decent when he came back into the side. McIntosh can play beside Mensing and Gorman in a back 3. I had hoped we might have been able to bring at least another defender in but it's looking like we will have to go with what we have. 

Just out of interest (and excuse my ignorance) who was the last player we actually paid money to a club for, I'm thinking it goes as far back as the McDonald era.

Have all our signings since then been released/unsigned or loans ? Or when a player signs from a club a fee is paid and the figures are not released ?

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jarss said:

Franz Beckenbauer at his peak would struggle to organise a back 3 with Boateng in it! 

I wouldn't have Boateng anywhere near the starting 11. Gorman has struggled of late playing next to bombscare but looked decent when he came back into the side. McIntosh can play beside Mensing and Gorman in a back 3. I had hoped we might have been able to bring at least another defender in but it's looking like we will have to go with what we have. 

I think that Scott Stewart is the closest thing we have to a winger.    Totally agree that Boateng is utterly useless but wondering if we had a back 3 of Bombscare, Mensing and Gorman then we could in theory have McIntosh and McDonald as the wingbacks.   Hutton and Conroy have the centre mid roles allowing Stewart to play right wing / mid with Ryan and 1 other up front.

Saying that I'd rather pluck someone out of the crowd rather than BoDiddy tbh.

I think that Scott Stewart is the closest thing we have to a winger.    Totally agree that Boateng is utterly useless but wondering if we had a back 3 of Bombscare, Mensing and Gorman then we could in theory have McIntosh and McDonald as the wingbacks.   Hutton and Conroy have the centre mid roles allowing Stewart to play right wing / mid with Ryan and 1 other up front.
Saying that I'd rather pluck someone out of the crowd rather than BoDiddy tbh.

We adopted that system against east fife and thought it worked reasonably well

1 hour ago, Kennboy1978 said:

Just out of interest (and excuse my ignorance) who was the last player we actually paid money to a club for, I'm thinking it goes as far back as the McDonald era.

Have all our signings since then been released/unsigned or loans ? Or when a player signs from a club a fee is paid and the figures are not released ?

I'm sure we bought John Baird, not 100% sure though. 

From the Hamilton web site

19 year old defender Jordan McGregor has joined Airdrieonians on a Development Transfer until the end of the season.
!
Jojo has played three times in the first team this season, scoring once in the League Cup.

Under the terms of a Development Transfer, he is still able to play for us in the midweek Development League if required.

Manager Martin Canning said, “This will give Jordan a great platform for first team experience at a decent level.”

From the Hamilton web site

19 year old defender Jordan McGregor has joined Airdrieonians on a Development Transfer until the end of the season.
!
Jojo has played three times in the first team this season, scoring once in the League Cup.

Under the terms of a Development Transfer, he is still able to play for us in the midweek Development League if required.

Manager Martin Canning said, “This will give Jordan a great platform for first team experience at a decent level.”

According to Hamilton fans he played for the first team against Edinburgh shitty and was hung out to dry doesn't hold me with to much expectations

You don't think East Fife or QP will get into the top 4 then?

Looking really tight with Rovers and Peterhead also not far away from the top 4, only 3 points separating 5 teams, Brechin will be lucky to stay 4th on their current form. And East Fife are on something like 10 games undefeated, looking good for replacing them and then challenging Airdrie and Alloa.

Alloa and Airdrie impressed me the most in earlier games this season but it all seems to be falling apart for Airdrie.

Nope, I don't think either of those teams will make the top 4.

East Fife have been on a great run but that'll not last, they've peaked too early I think. Also appear to have a paper thin squad which will no doubt catch up with them.

Similarly QP have been on an excellent run but I think they'll just miss out.

I think Brechin have enough quality in their squad to pick up their form. I'm sure they've had a bad run of injuries which may explain the poor run of form.

I fancy the Wee Rovers to go on a bit of a run. Think if anyone outside the current top 4 will break in it'll be them. Darren Young has done wonders for them the last few years.

Think in terms of us, we have enough quality (relatively speaking) to turn around our form. As much as we may be mocked for signing Mensing, having watched him on Saturday he'll make a huge difference for us.

Just now, Diamond Oracle said:

Nope, I don't think either of those teams will make the top 4.

East Fife have been on a great run but that'll not last, they've peaked too early I think. Also appear to have a paper thin squad which will no doubt catch up with them.

Similarly QP have been on an excellent run but I think they'll just miss out.

I think Brechin have enough quality in their squad to pick up their form. I'm sure they've had a bad run of injuries which may explain the poor run of form.

I fancy the Wee Rovers to go on a bit of a run. Think if anyone outside the current top 4 will break in it'll be them. Darren Young has done wonders for them the last few years.

Think in terms of us, we have enough quality (relatively speaking) to turn around our form. As much as we may be mocked for signing Mensing, having watched him on Saturday he'll make a huge difference for us.

Fair enough not everyone sees things all the same. Never been that impressed with Brechin when I've seen them play us but then again East Fife fans prob don't rate Livi much after beating us 3 times and having seen us playing our worst game of the season in the 3-1 defeat. at Bayview.

It looks like being really competitive for that 3rd play off place though.

Archived