Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

3 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

We need to ask ourselves what we want.   I don't want to lose my club to another administration.  I want my club at the very least competing in the championship with crowds nearer 2000 than 800.  How do we achieve that without going under?

Only way we can do it IMO is within this 3 year window.  

Agree with this DBM. Worst case scenario should be that after the 3 year plan ends we're back to square 1 and part time in this league, best case being TW's stated aim of "competing" in the Championship. 

I think we've been handed a great opportunity - how many clubs are going from part time to full time? - but making a total mess of it. MW might not turn out to be very good, but I don't have any huge problem with his appointment. Kevin McBride wasn't the answer and the rookie coach plan has worked for other clubs in recent years (Paul Hartley and  Darren Young for example). The big problem for us is GD. Not at matches, not really seeming to support MW enough. 

Sadly for us as fans, its all hope and no expectation at the moment. 

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

Plenty might disagree, but I'd have brought in an experienced number 2 next to McBride. Not given him the chop. Thanks GD

I've no idea what the wage is but that poor sap Jennow gave up a good job I believe as a bank manager to become Woleki's asst.   It was my understanding he made other huge personal sacrifices to do so too.   Tricky situation.  

Has TW ever been asked what happens if the 3 year plan doesn't work out ?

Yes having full time football is a good thing but only if it's been done within a proper organised set up which lets be honest it's not.

GD not attending matches is unprofessional. Everyone within the club should be giving their all and GD in his job title should be a prime example rather than sitting on a radio on a saturday.

I said I didn't think it was right at the time and I still don't sacking McBride when we were on a good run of form. Not many folk agreeded with me they normally don't. However I don't think they were expecting inexperienced manager to replace McBride.

Under McBride I seen us play some decent football. I feel under Wilson were just knocking the ball long. Playing Conroy at left back om Saturday was embarasing decision.

I'm presuming that Wilson wants to play Gorman and Mensing going forward, so I can understand playing them together from the off. Conroy has played there previously and is really the only other option, if you want to keep a left sided player at left back.

What is worrying me (amongst other things) is the lack of backing from the management for the younger players. From what Dalziel said (in his more important role) on the radio and Wilson in his interview on Saturday the kids are basically making up the numbers.

Things like that should be kept in the managers office. Imagine if your boss told you that your only in your job because he can't afford anyone else. Would you give 100% after that ? It may be a way of getting the youngsters to up their game, to prove him wrong. I just think he's giving his own opinion and he is frustrated.

We have a squad of 14 that the management rates enough to put on the park - The starting 11 on Saturday plus Boateng, MacDonald and McKay. Is that enough to get a play off spot ? Only time will tell.

3 minutes ago, Kennboy1978 said:

I'm presuming that Wilson wants to play Gorman and Mensing going forward, so I can understand playing them together from the off. Conroy has played there previously and is really the only other option, if you want to keep a left sided player at left back.

In theory he could have played McIntosh or Stewart there or McIntosh in CD with Gorman at left and kept our most comstructive midfielder in his best position.

3 minutes ago, Kennboy1978 said:

What is worrying me (amongst other things) is the lack of backing from the management for the younger players. From what Dalziel said (in his more important role) on the radio and Wilson in his interview on Saturday the kids are basically making up the numbers.

When Dalziel took on his job he said he wanted to work with the younger players and make them better.   That's really worked out well.  Leighton and McLaughlin are bow neutered.

1 hour ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Incredibly we've now conceded more goals this season (40 goals in 22 games), than the whole of season 2014/15 (39 goals in 36 games).

It was actually 49 we conceded last term,  a clip of almost 1.4 per game.   This year it's practically 2 per game which is totally unsustainable.

Ideally we need to be averaging approx 1 goal per game against to be genuine challangers.

I agree, I have no problem playing a predominately right sided player at left back. I'm not saying Wilson was right - I was trying to put reason behind his thinking, he obviously wants to keep the left back position to a left sided player.

There was another right footed player called Stewart that played quite well in that position if memory serves.....

23 minutes ago, Kennboy1978 said:

I agree, I have no problem playing a predominately right sided player at left back. I'm not saying Wilson was right - I was trying to put reason behind his thinking, he obviously wants to keep the left back position to a left sided player.

There was another right footed player called Stewart that played quite well in that position if memory serves.....

Depends on the mindset and skillset of the individual.   McIntosh is a betrer defender than Stewart, why not him on cook?   WCS Stewart wouldve been better in midfield.    This isnt hindsight.

Anyone else watch the highlights?

Just some Gawdawful defending again as a team.   There is no cohesion at all.   Stewart had a stinker, that is without doubt,  ut there's no cover anywhere.   No one knows their role, we are constantly drawn out of shape on the counter attack.

When Jimmy Bone was my manager he said to me "Wee man, this fitba management is f**king easy.   Just tell your players what to do and tell them they're good at it".  

I'm not sure Wilson and the alcoholic radio charlatan have any concept.   Same mistakes every week, same root causes of goals,  players low on confidence...

3 hours ago, Cooper81 said:

Has TW ever been asked what happens if the 3 year plan doesn't work out ?

Yes having full time football is a good thing but only if it's been done within a proper organised set up which lets be honest it's not.

GD not attending matches is unprofessional. Everyone within the club should be giving their all and GD in his job title should be a prime example rather than sitting on a radio on a saturday.

I said I didn't think it was right at the time and I still don't sacking McBride when we were on a good run of form. Not many folk agreeded with me they normally don't. However I don't think they were expecting inexperienced manager to replace McBride.

Under McBride I seen us play some decent football. I feel under Wilson were just knocking the ball long. Playing Conroy at left back om Saturday was embarasing decision.

Couldn't agree more, McBride had the team playing good football , problem was he wasn't able to bring in 2 CB's that he wanted to. Bo was fourth or fifth and was down to lack of budget. 

I think McBride could go on to be a decent coach/manager. He'll certainly be wiser for the experience 

Couldn't agree more, McBride had the team playing good football , problem was he wasn't able to bring in 2 CB's that he wanted to. Bo was fourth or fifth and was down to lack of budget. 
I think McBride could go on to be a decent coach/manager. He'll certainly be wiser for the experience 

Must have been in the pie que when the good football was played. Not saying Wilson a great deal better

I'm not sure about the sudden pining for McBride. I agreed with the decision to get rid of him although I had been shouting for it to happen before it did. He should have been away after the Peterhead game when we lost 3-1. Yes the football might have been slightly better on the eye but results were much the same. Maybe an experienced number 2 could have helped, maybe if McBride was able to get a better centre half in who knows but the fact is he didn't. 

Wilson isn't any better and his tactics are as baffling as the previous head coach. TW hasn't got any of his appointments correct (not sure if Lennon was his decision) and the decision to replace one inexperienced coach with another will probably be our downfall this season unless we can get some decent business done in the last 24 hours of the transfer window... I doubt that will happen though. 

What do we do? Leave the radio pundits to plod along from one defeat to another with the current squad for the remainder of the season in the hope we scrape into the top 4 or back the head coach with cash to get some additions in which would hopefully improve our fortunes. 

2 hours ago, Hugh Jarss said:

I'm not sure about the sudden pining for McBride. I agreed with the decision to get rid of him although I had been shouting for it to happen before it did. He should have been away after the Peterhead game when we lost 3-1. Yes the football might have been slightly better on the eye but results were much the same. Maybe an experienced number 2 could have helped, maybe if McBride was able to get a better centre half in who knows but the fact is he didn't. 

Wilson isn't any better and his tactics are as baffling as the previous head coach. TW hasn't got any of his appointments correct (not sure if Lennon was his decision) and the decision to replace one inexperienced coach with another will probably be our downfall this season unless we can get some decent business done in the last 24 hours of the transfer window... I doubt that will happen though. 

What do we do? Leave the radio pundits to plod along from one defeat to another with the current squad for the remainder of the season in the hope we scrape into the top 4 or back the head coach with cash to get some additions in which would hopefully improve our fortunes. 

Would it not have been cheaper to actually give the manager the tools to do the job??

it was common knowledge when he binned Hugo that he wanted him off wage bill to bring in players.(which was first thing that happened after GD came in)

You must be like jabba the hut if you were in pie Q that long.

people on here were praising football right from first game v Partick. Most were saying same thing , great football but can't defend set pieces. 

Going over old ground but managers build teams from back, McBride inherited Gorman a young keeper and 2 young full backs. Had to settle for Bo who was way down pecking order because there was no money. 

Put Lithgow & Crichton , who weren't the best by any stretch of the imagination, and team would be challenging.

Gorman is up there with Taylor Morgan in the worst diamond of all time.

McBride should have been backed with cash or an experienced hand. I keep seeing people say look at Young at Rovers, with Stark & Clark as assistant, but it has to be remembered that Airdrie were above Rovers , and still are though fir how long, when McB got sacked. 

Now the club are paying MW & GD (from money saved on McB & HF) and still have EWB & McB contract looming over them.

This doesn't look like the move of a hands on chairman , this has the look of an unwanted play thing. The chairman is a very wealthy man, he'll not be used to losing money. Let's hope he's not bored of owning team already.

For all he may have faults he's put his money where his mouth is. If anything his biggest fault was trusting Ian King to run the place

I personally believe we have generally got a far higher calibre of player than last year at the club.  In my irrational mind I think we have the players to have an extremely good team for this league we're in.   Sure there are 3-4 I'd change immediately if we went up.

But in my mind that says to me that TW has done as he said.   In my opinion he has put the team on the park and is doing what he said he'd do.

The only places it all falls down for me is in the people he surrounds himself with.   King was and is a complete tool.    Woleki is obviously tragic and he thinks a good game, though he needed a proper head coach/manager as that bit of his game was missing.   Now of course Dalziel and Wilson are uttterly clueless.

For me,  TW has backed things up that he said he'd do.   Actions speak louder than words.   Just unfortunately his coaches have let him down badly.

Dalziel and Wilson are clients of agent Willie McKay.  Not sure what that means if anything in the bigger picture.   They clearly are underperforming and need jettisoned asap to protect TW's investment.

I personally believe we have generally got a far higher calibre of player than last year at the club.  In my irrational mind I think we have the players to have an extremely good team for this league we're in.   Sure there are 3-4 I'd change immediately if we went up.

But in my mind that says to me that TW has done as he said.   In my opinion he has put the team on the park and is doing what he said he'd do.

The only places it all falls down for me is in the people he surrounds himself with.   King was and is a complete tool.    Woleki is obviously tragic and he thinks a good game, though he needed a proper head coach/manager as that bit of his game was missing.   Now of course Dalziel and Wilson are uttterly clueless.

For me,  TW has backed things up that he said he'd do.   Actions speak louder than words.   Just unfortunately his coaches have let him down badly.

Dalziel and Wilson are clients of agent Willie McKay.  Not sure what that means if anything in the bigger picture.   They clearly are underperforming and need jettisoned asap to protect TW's investment.

I've found myself saying this a few times too - I don't think we're far away from having a decent side. Definitely three I'd look to change down the spine of this side - but really that's about it.

However if we can get someone that can manage, organise, motivate and cut out he mistakes then this team should be OK. I'm not saying we'd be doing a Livi - but wouldn't be staring down the barrel of defeat after defeat.

Starting to laugh at he brass neck of Wilson accepting that award now.

2 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

I've found myself saying this a few times too - I don't think we're far away from having a decent side. Definitely three I'd look to change down the spine of this side - but really that's about it.

However if we can get someone that can manage, organise, motivate and cut out he mistakes then this side would be OK.

Someone "ORGANISE" the team.   Currently we have a group of players who are far better than their results.  

I thought we had a decent starting 11 too but results speak for themselves. We have lost 9 out of 22 league games and conceded a lot of goals... Consecutive coaches have failed to address our problems and the current one doesn't seem to have clue what to do. I would guess if you asked supporters of the other teams in our league there wouldn't be any more than 3 or 4 of our players that they rate. 

The style of football may have been better under McBride for some but I don't remember it being that successful or he would still be in a job. It's alright encouraging your team to play out from the back but we conceded a good few goals because we didn't have the players to do this. Yes we all want to see our team keeping the ball on the grass (or plastic) and not pumping the forward and hoping to win a header or win 2nd balls but if we are constantly passing sideways and backwards you'll never score. Anyway that is old news. The only ways I can see any improvement now is for us to get 2 or 3 better players in or get rid of Dalziel and Wilson and get a decent experienced coach in who might be able to get more from the players we have. Unfortunately I don't see either happening. 

It's deadline day and no obvious sign of us bringing anyone else in. When we had been clearing out players in the last few weeks I took this as a sign that we were making space for 2 or 3 players to come in. Only one has and unless something happens today it looks like I was wrong and all we are doing is saving money. Maybe Wilson was correct in his interview in saying we had no money. Punting the 2 players back out to Cumbernauld looks likely to leave us even worse off for players from now. Hope something happens today but it looks grim for the rest of the season.

It's deadline day and no obvious sign of us bringing anyone else in. When we had been clearing out players in the last few weeks I took this as a sign that we were making space for 2 or 3 players to come in. Only one has and unless something happens today it looks like I was wrong and all we are doing is saving money. Maybe Wilson was correct in his interview in saying we had no money. Punting the 2 players back out to Cumbernauld looks likely to leave us even worse off for players from now. Hope something happens today but it looks grim for the rest of the season.

I don't expect us to bring anyone in - I can only imagine how much the TW had already spent this season (albeit correcting some of his own poor decisions). I don't expect him to spend anymore.

We have what we have and all I can do is hope they find some confidence and cohesion and stop the rot.

Archived