Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Just now, AFC1878 said:

Bo will be in the starting line-up tomorrrow, wait and see. 

Bo and Mensing in the same team, i'd get plenty of drink down your neck before the game tomorrow if I was you, you'll need it to calm your nerves watching those two in your defence at the same time.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

I've little or zero faith in our club's ability to sign a half-decent player in a season of Big Bo and Hugo Faria, so forgive us the cynicism.

It's a defender - which we need. He sure as hell cant be any worse than what we've got. So absolutely, let's see how he does.

To be fair we've also signed Ryan, Conroy and Leitch this season, so it ain't all bad.

I don't hold out a great deal of hope for him being a star, but I don't know who else we could sign that would be.   He's obviously past his best, but if he can use his experience to impose some order and organisation on a defence that so often looks panicked and confused, it'll be a step up.  

50 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

I've little or zero faith in our club's ability to sign a half-decent player in a season of Big Bo and Hugo Faria, (Shewho daresgins)

To be fair we've also signed Ryan, Conroy and Leitch this season, so it ain't all bad.(Tulloch Gorum)

I don't hold out a great deal of hope for him being a star, but I don't know who else we could sign that would be.   He's obviously past his best, but if he can use his experience to impose some order and organisation on a defence that so often looks panicked and confused, it'll be a step up.  

I agree about Boateng but I think unfortunately Hugo was signed last season and despite my plaintive cries of" 2 and a half years" (home and away)( and me being told by a fellow Airdrie fan to "F Off" for complaining about Hugo at Cowdenbeath) he was still in the squad at the start of this season until it was realized how bad he was. Mensing is in for a rude baptism but maybe his experience will see us through.

To be fair we've also signed Ryan, Conroy and Leitch this season, so it ain't all bad.   I don't hold out a great deal of hope for him being a star, but I don't know who else we could sign that would be.   He's obviously past his best, but if he can use his experience to impose some order and organisation on a defence that so often looks panicked and confused, it'll be a step up.  

Yes it's embarrassing how we're relying on the lad Ryan to keep our heads above water. Where would be without his goals - it's nothing to be crowing about and Leitch was after a successful trial, so we knew what he was about. Time will tell I suppose.

Going back to Hugo, it was always a strange signing. He did not fit the profile in many ways, age etc. He also was totally contrary to the philosophy of defenders who were comfortable with the ball at their feet and could pass the ball. In that respect Bo puts him to shame! Hugo was purely a destroyer. The only thing I can think is that the Club might have thought they were getting a future coach. Difficult to explain otherwise.

Whatever the starting lineup is tomorrow we'll have to play at least one player out of position which isn't great. We don't really have any cover for MacDonald. If we play a back 4 Gorman could maybe do a job at left back, if we go with a back 3 and wing backs Conroy might have to play there but that takes our main playmaker out of the middle of the park. Not ideal but that's what happens when you have a small squad. Higgins had played in both full back positions for the U20s but he's not had a look in and has been loaned out. 

This just confirms we are still a couple (at least) of players short. I'm not sure what budget we have to bring any more players in but if we want to make sure we finish in the top 4 and have a chance of promotion through the play offs we still need to strengthen the squad further even if this means loans. 

How long do we have to put up with this garbage? Another pumping off a side at the bottom of the table. Wilson hasn't a clue and we've probably gone backwards since he came into the club. His record (league games) is now worse than McBride's and we know what happened to him. Full time football has been a total failure. We have some decent players but unfortunately most of the squad are not good enough. We don't look organised and certainly don't look fitter than the part time sides. Wotherspoon has to take some of the blame. His appointments have all been failures....King, Woleki-Black, McBride, Dalziel and now Wilson. We will be lucky to finish in the top 4 the way things are going but even if we do get into the play offs I wouldn't fancy our chances. 

Difficult to see a way out of this at least for this season. Once a team goes on a bad run it's really difficult to turn it round. Window is nearly up so unlikely to get better players. The present management arrangement clearly isn't working but difficult to see TW sacking yet another member or members of the management team. Surely he would be too embarrassed to admit to another mistake?

Answers on a postcard.

Difficult to see a way out of this at least for this season. Once a team goes on a bad run it's really difficult to turn it round. Window is nearly up so unlikely to get better players. The present management arrangement clearly isn't working but difficult to see TW sacking yet another member or members of the management team. Surely he would be too embarrassed to admit to another mistake?
Answers on a postcard.

I think our starting 11 is ok it's just someone better than what we have on the bench at the moment

4 points from your last 7 games! What's going on at Airdrie? Peterhead are the visitors next week so obviously I hope that means your poor form continues. I look forward to the game.

Fortunately for you guys we're even worse at home than we are away. 2-0 Peterhead next week.

I am so f**king frustrated just now it's not real.   

Mark Wilson and f**kit Dalziel are absolutely destroying us.

We are so tactically niave it is actually painful.   So many guys on the terracing today could pick out our faults.

We have totally ditched any attempt at passing the ball and we are constantly getting countered when totally out of shape.    We play players out of position far too often.

I could take this team unbeaten till the end of the season but I doubt Wilson could get us another win, he is so bad.

Today Mensing was everything that Boateng isn't.  Gorman was like a new player too.

But Stewart had a stinker and it wasn't all his fault.   He was getting caught out by Cook constantly but there was never cover.    

McIntosh was played beside Hutton in centre mid with Conroy totally wasted at left back.    Why not play the defender in defence and the midfield passer in midfield?

We again reverted to playing Brown and Russell on wings and again, neither contributed a thing. In fact every hateable trait they possess was evident throughout.

Leitch was anonymous till his sending off.    The game totally bypassed him with the ball always in the air.   

And Ryan continues to cut a forlorn figure.   He's now being asked to be a combination of Lawrence, S.Cooper and Coyle.    He can't be our outball, set up man and finisher at the same time.

I literally don't know where to start.   There is no masterplan,  no gameplan, no discipline.    We are a shambles week to week with those losers Wilson and Dalziel.

Another shambles delivered by MW & GD (or was he in the studio)

I said it at the time and even after Wilsons first few games when everyone was soiling their pants over how good he was, McBride shouldn't have been sacked. 

Wilson inherited a team who had won 3 on the bounce and I'm sure 4/5. He didn't really change much and confidence was high.

To be fair to Wilson he's inexperienced as a manager and has been threw under a bus by Dalzell who came in under the pretence of helping McBride. 

This looks from outside like an ego trip for GD. He wants to be main man during the week without the responsibility on a Sat that goes with it. If he takes the training and picks the team then he should be carrying the can, whether he's in the stadium or the Clyde studio.

if this is the chairmans pal then I wouldn't like to see his enemies. Has Dalzell improved anything?? I would suggest the total opposite. 2  ex managers in Eddie & McBride with contracts to be squared up and him & MW wages to be met. If both ex managers win disputes then 4 management teams wages in one season is surely too much for a league one club.

Thank god that the chairman is a wealthy man coz we'll need it.

Would be better off sticking with McBride and giving him full season. He's was left with only a couple of players and left in play offs. Might still be in there but on current form 11th place and play off at bottom might not be out the question.

if GD can't commit to a Sat , sack him & let Wilson stand or fall by his own decisions or at least let him bring an experienced assistant to help on match day 

Archived