Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

But Gorman and McIntosh are better than Crighton and Lithgow and with experience they'll be heads and shoulders above.   In a week or 2 neither will be in Livi's team as Gallagher and McMillan will replace them.   Undoubtedly though both are far better than BoDiddy.

Said before and will say again that our defence are demonstrably worse now than when Wilson took over.  There is no co-ordination, no plan, no tactics with these kids.

I've said many times about experience too.   A player can't be considered experienced till he has around 100 games.  Where are our defence?

ROHAN:    28 games

MCINTOSH: 19 games

BOATENG: 27 games

GORMAN:  21 games

STEWART:  66 games (almost half as a sub)

MCDONALD:  116 games

So 23 y/o McDonald,  who is a worse defender than Brown, is our only experienced defender.   20 y/o Stewart is next.

McIntosh, Gorman, Rohan (and BoDiddy) are miles away.  

We know we're going to get mistakes from kids and collectively have to deal with that.   We have too many rookies in the team but it is what it is.  Those kids have shown they have a big future, we need to support them not slaughter them.  Unfortunately we have a manager and Dof (grrr) who seem incapable of helping them and are both willing to throw them under a bus.

The one exception I have there is BoDiddy.   He's 24 and a rookie for a reason.   He didn't get subbed for no reason. I'd love to see both goals but the 2nd was yet another example of what I've recently said were repeated mistakes.   Boateng is marking the goalscorer (5).   The scorer deliberately stands offside behind Boateng then just literally runs away from him to the other side of the box with the diddy standing sucking his thumb.

I've had enough.   Every week the same mistakes.   

I also hear Conroy getting grief off some fans.   Why?  I have no f**king idea.   How many times yesterday did he have the ball, looking for an easy pass and had nothing on?    I have no idea what some folk see and want.   

Also, Brown and Russell are not wingers.   Brown is a no. 10 for me.  Wingers need to be able to take a man on 1v1.   Brown hates it.   Brown is a good passer and likes to get a shot away at the edge of the box....   Leitch seems to have that position but isn't a goal threat.    And given how we dont seem to need McKay whilst our defence struggles...  would you have faith that Wilson and Dalziel could recruit on our budgets?

At the moment I wouldn't fancy us in a playoff match.   We need to win the league or really develope an effective style of play and get a coach who can work with those potentially excellent young defenders.   

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But Gorman and McIntosh are better than Crighton and Lithgow and with experience they'll be heads and shoulders above.   In a week or 2 neither will be in Livi's team as Gallagher and McMillan will replace them.   Undoubtedly though both are far better than BoDiddy.

Said before and will say again that our defence are demonstrably worse now than when Wilson took over.  There is no co-ordination, no plan, no tactics with these kids.

I've said many times about experience too.   A player can't be considered experienced till he has around 100 games.  Where are our defence?

ROHAN:    28 games

MCINTOSH: 19 games

BOATENG: 27 games

GORMAN:  21 games

STEWART:  66 games (almost half as a sub)

MCDONALD:  116 games

So 23 y/o McDonald,  who is a worse defender than Brown, is our only experienced defender.   20 y/o Stewart is next.

McIntosh, Gorman, Rohan (and BoDiddy) are miles away.  

We know we're going to get mistakes from kids and collectively have to deal with that.   We have too many rookies in the team but it is what it is.  Those kids have shown they have a big future, we need to support them not slaughter them.  Unfortunately we have a manager and Dof (grrr) who seem incapable of helping them and are both willing to throw them under a bus.

The one exception I have there is BoDiddy.   He's 24 and a rookie for a reason.   He didn't get subbed for no reason. I'd love to see both goals but the 2nd was yet another example of what I've recently said were repeated mistakes.   Boateng is marking the goalscorer (5).   The scorer deliberately stands offside behind Boateng then just literally runs away from him to the other side of the box with the diddy standing sucking his thumb.

I've had enough.   Every week the same mistakes.   

I also hear Conroy getting grief off some fans.   Why?  I have no f**king idea.   How many times yesterday did he have the ball, looking for an easy pass and had nothing on?    I have no idea what some folk see and want.   

Also, Brown and Russell are not wingers.   Brown is a no. 10 for me.  Wingers need to be able to take a man on 1v1.   Brown hates it.   Brown is a good passer and likes to get a shot away at the edge of the box....   Leitch seems to have that position but isn't a goal threat.    And given how we dont seem to need McKay whilst our defence struggles...  would you have faith that Wilson and Dalziel could recruit on our budgets?

At the moment I wouldn't fancy us in a playoff match.   We need to win the league or really develope an effective style of play and get a coach who can work with those potentially excellent young defenders.   

I Agree.

Gorman is 22 and a half, playing full-time in a part-time league where the standard of footballer is horrendous, I'm sorry if he can't cope just now then I fail to see where his big future is. He's not some 18 year-old boy. By the time he reaches his 100 game mark he'll be about 25/26..

He can look quite composed when he is on the ball but it's pretty deceiving as his distribution is worse than last year's centre backs who were slated for it. I can remember 3 goals so far this season where he has literally passed the ball to the opposition for them to score, and as we saw yesterday any longer pass seems to end up out the park. The only thing he has going for him over Boateng is he's 2 years younger, in terms of performances there's been little to split them.

I like Gorman but if he was half the player folk are making him out to be he would be able to guide boateng or whoever else plays in defence through in games.

And as for Lithgow and crighton, that's exactly the type of centre halfs this league is all about, they would certainly improve our defensive dilemma

It looked that way when he came back into the team. The defence looked x10 better and with a bit of work that nut was cracked. Then for some reason it's got progressively worse.

Individuals or management ?

The management can only manage/coach what they have if the players aren't capable of getting any better. Then better players need to be brought in !

Individuals then [emoji3]

I just can't understand how we have managed to recruit that many players who cannot man mark. That's your man, stick with him whatever. Queens did that yesterday, and we didn't get a sniff as a result.

9 minutes ago, carlukediamond said:

The management can only manage/coach what they have if the players aren't capable of getting any better. Then better players need to be brought in !

This is where it gets really worrying. A lot of players last season wanted to stay and give the full time gig a go, Crichton lithgow watt cadden etc, some were told or deemed nowhere near good enough for the progression of the team. So who keeps bringing in some of the dross we have to watch week after week. Unfortunately you can't just go out now and bring players in cos the budget is probably spent for the season. 

This is where it gets really worrying. A lot of players last season wanted to stay and give the full time gig a go, Crichton lithgow watt cadden etc, some were told or deemed nowhere near good enough for the progression of the team. So who keeps bringing in some of the dross we have to watch week after week. Unfortunately you can't just go out now and bring players in cos the budget is probably spent for the season. 

There was budget however for a striker that we didn't need. It's simple for us to stay top four, we need to strengthen the defence !

Afc01. I agree with the general principle of your post. However, I think memories are short. You talk about the dross we have to watch every week. Last year was so dire at times we sometimes didn't cross the half way line. For the first time in my life I stopped going for a while last season. This year I don't feel like that. We are at least getting forward and trying to play football. Ok, we are having a bad spell and I admit that the defence is terrible. However, Boateng excepted, we are better than last year and the league table bears that out. If we got a better defence we would be genuine promotion contenders.

At the start of the season most of us would have taken a top 4 finish. We are on course to do this. However as the season has progressed we have realised that the standard of the other sides in the league is poor and there was a chance to win the title and avoid the play offs. Unfortunately we haven't improved and we look like we will have to settle for a top 4 spot but only if we can sort out our defensive frailties. We do have some decent players and some good prospects but we have failed (so far) to improve the one part of the team that lets us down on a regular basis. We've had 2 head coaches and a director of football now this season who have failed to address our problems.

Unless we can bring in at least 2 new defenders (of a better quality than we have) we will plod along until the end of the season conceding soft goals and relying on our strikers to score more than we concede to win games. 

It's been confirmed that Daly has left the club

No surprise at all. Didn't get any minutes under either of our managers so obviously not rated for whatever reason. Hopefully frees up a wage to bring in a defender or two.

We can talk about challenging Livi for the title and we can talk about Playoffs, but just looking at our teams performances and abilities show that we are simply not ready for Championship football. A 'three year plan' has turned into a potential 1 year plan. It might be just a bit too soon.

Would it be better if we A: spent another season in League 1 and try to build a proper, solid full time team that can achieve what Livi are achieving this season, or Scenario B whereby we achieve promotion, likely through the playoffs and and go into a much tougher Division with the inadequate team and resources that we have now and probably have our arses handed to us week in, week out until we get relegated again.

I know that another season in League 1 is no guarantee of any improvement. Improvement will only come through coaching and investment which are sadly two factors that we are struggling with.

♢♢♢

3 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Gorman is 22 and a half, playing full-time in a part-time league where the standard of footballer is horrendous, I'm sorry if he can't cope just now then I fail to see where his big future is. He's not some 18 year-old boy. By the time he reaches his 100 game mark he'll be about 25/26..

He can look quite composed when he is on the ball but it's pretty deceiving as his distribution is worse than last year's centre backs who were slated for it. I can remember 3 goals so far this season where he has literally passed the ball to the opposition for them to score, and as we saw yesterday any longer pass seems to end up out the park. The only thing he has going for him over Boateng is he's 2 years younger, in terms of performances there's been little to split them.

Gorman made a huge difference when he came back in.  He's a good defender with a few flaws that need ironed out and what a good valuable player he could be.  He's litterally tryimg to do 2 mens job just now getting no help from Bombscare or McDonald.   

He and a few other kids in the team have got shattered confidence just now

32 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

QOS players Chris Higgins and Grant Anderson linked with diamonds today.

Source?or is it a pointless forum rumour

9 minutes ago, waysider said:

I take the post about the QoS players with a pinch of salt. One is the club captain ! The other is a winger which surely is not top of our priority list.

Both ain't getting games so maybe true?would defs do a job

Archived