Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Yes we have a thin squad but I don't believe we're any worse off than any other team in our division. As has already been suggested we might be able to add to the squad in January hopefully this time with a bit of experience and not youngsters from bigger clubs looking for game time.

It's bad enough losing players to injury but when it's self inflicted then the players have got to learn from it if we're going to push on after yesterday's disaster.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/12/2016 at 02:31, Tulloch Gorum said:

That thin squad is going to be painfully apparent next week.  Russell, Ryan, Boateng and Fitzpatrick will all be out, and who knows how Scott Stewart will be.  Schmidt was limping in the stands, though El Gringo said on the FB page he should be back in for next week.  If he really does have something about him, next Saturday would be a good time to show it, because we've not seen it so far.  

So, who have we got?  Assuming a 4-4-2, I guess something like:

Ferguson

McIntosh - Gorman -  Cairns (?) -  MacDonald

Brown/Scullion* - Hutton - Leitch - Conroy

Schmidt - AN Other**

*I've seen nothing from Scullion's sub appearances to make me think he's going to change things for us in any significant way, but Brown's clearly struggling.  He had another poor game today, and it seems to me he's mainly kept his place because of a lack of other options.  Is it maybe time to try one of the alternatives?  As I say, I've not been especially impressed with Scullion so far, though to be fair to him, he's not had a run of games to show what he can do.  Brown has, and he's coming up short.  He's still young, and shows what he can do in flashes, but maybe he would benefit from stepping back from the front line for a bit.

**I've not seen any of the U20s games, so I've no idea which of the younger forwards would be best to come in with Schmidt.  

Looks pretty thin going forward, doesn't it?  Would we better with one up front, and another man in midfield - Leighton or McLaughlin, perhaps?  Pretty inexperienced as well.  We knew we had a pretty young team as it was this season, but with Faria away, Fitzpatrick injured and Russell talking himself out of the game, I think that leaves us with only Conroy over 25 years old.  

All in all, not ideal for such an important game, which would have been tough enough already with a full squad to pick from.  Short of any surprise loan signings or trialists being drafted in, it looks like being a pretty testing afternoon, and we'll be relying on big performances from Gorman, the full backs and the midfield if we're to get anything from it.  

Are Ryan and Russell definetely out?

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 21:18, Nipper said:

Yes we have a thin squad but I don't believe we're any worse off than any other team in our division. As has already been suggested we might be able to add to the squad in January hopefully this time with a bit of experience and not youngsters from bigger clubs looking for game time.

It's bad enough losing players to injury but when it's self inflicted then the players have got to learn from it if we're going to push on after yesterday's disaster.

Except us of course, we have the luxury of having 5-6 fully capable players and 3 or so good youths available including Knox. The rest of the league would definitely struggle with the injuries and suspensions you guys have at the moment but that's what happens with small squads, of course not your fault.

Saying that, it will probably get worse with the curse...

The shirt deal has been generating an awful lot of positive publicity going by the retweets being put out by the trust. Hopefully they, the club and the charities can cash in on this. Even if some of the articles are less than factually accurate it's showing all parties in a good light. Well played all concerned.

Looks fairly normal.  Livi 1/2 (shortening) and Airdrie 5/1 (drifting).
I could pick out a lot of horses at 5/1 or over that have plenty chance of winning.   It would take and incredibly brave or profligate one to bet on Airdrie today.

Not feeling brave or profligate - however I am feeling remarkably stupid so I'll stick a bet on us [emoji23]

Archived