Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Based on the 2 games at Broomfield Livingston are clearly more physically strong and a better team than us. However, our style of play seems to be pretty effective away from home where we seem to benefit from more space when we break quickly. It will be interesting to see how we do at their ground.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Not too bad, living within what we can I believe but the focus seems to be promotion. We grabbed De Vita from Ross County on a free from the Premiership until the end of the season likely on the usual wage here but he's here to put himself in the shop window.

Our attendance is rising, it's already higher than what it was last season when you take into account the loss of travelling fans from bigger teams so I can only imagine we're moving forward. The goal at the moment I feel is Championship stability.

7 hours ago, carlukediamond said:

Livingston have never lived within there budget, and I can't see it being any different this season, paying over the odds for average players. They have stumbled from one financial crisis to another.

The statement from Livingston at the start of the season (which unbelievably was applauded by most fans) admitted that they were running at a loss this year on the gamble that they win promotion, clearly not learning the lessons which should have been learned twice over at Livingston. Your home support this year is basically 700 plus 50-100 away fans depending on opposition. The idea that that squad is being funded by those attendances and 'living within what we can' is laughable, like I said though the club aren't even pretending that they are anymore. The gamble might pay off in terms of winning the league, but they'll just need to continue to gamble next season as the home support is never going to grow by enough to make any real difference (in fact there is an argument that the home support would drop watching a struggling side in a league above, backed up by the point ATLIS makes about their home support being higher this year watching a winning team). Give it 2-3 years and Livi will be back round at the bottom of their boom and bust cycle again, as carlukediamond alludes to it's in Livi's DNA just to spend more than they have, no matter how they try and put a 'community' spirit on to it this time.

24 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Can take Crighton back :D doubt Lithgow would take a step down though

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at what you're insinuating there,  I have absolutely no love for either of them,  it was pure hatred for Lithgow due to his beastly perversions,  the guy should never have been signed for Airdrie in the first place.   I think in hindsight that Lithgow was a better defender than Crighton despite being as slow as treacle.  Crighton was a goal threat and good in the air but he can't pass a ball and his ballwatching tendencies were just ridiculous.  How many times did he lose a man last year and look lost?

Hugo must rate as one of the poorest signings in many years but good luck on his return to Portugal. I swear I saw his doppelganger in Madeira recently during his" suspension" and after all he had played alongside CR7. Wonder what Ian King etc now think. Don't see either of the central defenders returning but good to see if Leitch can continue his good form.

Excellent news all round.

Good to get Leitch tied down for the season although I thought we were only dishing out 2 year deals to youngsters? He's been good for us but no so good that he would get in a team in the league above imo.

Shuggly leaving is also superb news and should release £2k per week back into our playing budget - we'll be able to bring in a whole bench worth of players in January.

2 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Shuggly leaving is also superb news and should release £2k per week back into our playing budget - we'll be able to bring in a whole bench worth of players in January.

Gotta remember we've just lost the equivalent of a 28y/o Scotsman.    Who is gonna get photographed with the mascots now?

Good to get Leitch tied down for the season although I thought we were only dishing out 2 year deals to youngsters? He's been good for us but no so good that he would get in a team in the league above imo.

Leitch is a very good player and with playing time under his belt would form the basis of a solid Championship midfield 3.

48 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

It say on the website Leitch has only signed until May, or have I missed something?

Archived